Building a Medieval fortress - by Waitoa - Del Prado 1/87

I started building this about 7 years ago but put it aside due to work pressures.  With the lockdown and Ekis’ excellent build decided to revive it.   Initially I made a number of mistakes as I did not strengthen the cardboard structure which I think is essential with these types of models.  Also as it was second hand I started with the loose bricks.  A number of these had been damaged and I did not take enough time filing them appropriately.  This means that the look is very “rustic”. I understand that generally Church buildings were of a higher quality and Masons were more careful so not to imperil their immortal soul.  Based on my work guess I am going to hell then.

Starting to make progress and bought some Monks for scale.  Will finish the Church and then plan the rest of the fortress as think there are a number of modifications I think I will make to the overall kit.

FB1DA787-0FCA-410C-850A-A6EC877B68C6.jpeg

6732C6B1-B95A-45D0-8BDE-A580B1118D04.jpeg

AFCE8204-7281-4160-92D8-390ACD99B524.jpeg

EXCELLENT!

Hate to see a good modeler leave his talent in the closet....

I'm, in...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

1 hour ago, Waitoa said:

Based on my work guess I am going to hell then.

I think you are safe Waitoa. If what we are seeing is from an already started kit when you got it then any and all mistakes or shoddy workmanship can be blamed on the prior owner and your afterlife is not in question. But with all those monks standing around and supervising I am certain you will do an excellent job!

Looking forward to following along.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Get one of the monks to give you a bottle of wine and loaf of bread along with some absolution.  You'll be fine.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 7/7/2020 at 9:50 PM, lmagna said:

I think you are safe Waitoa. If what we are seeing is from an already started kit when you got it then any and all mistakes or shoddy workmanship can be blamed on the prior owner and your afterlife is not in question. But with all those monks standing around and supervising I am certain you will do an excellent job!

Looking forward to following along.

Mea Culpa maxima, the previous owner had opened the packs but all the sins on this one is mine

Hi,

As I am new to this type of modelling thought I would post some learnings.  Filing the individual bricks is a challenge.  When if first started this I would do three to four courses of bricks in one sitting with a view of sanding later.  This meant small uneveness was multiplied throughout the model given the bricks a slumped look.  I am now laying one course and allowing to dry before filing flat which is starting to provide a more consistent look.   Once finished will go back and correct the rougher work and collecting the filings as should be able to create a clay to pack the worse gaps.  Thinking of calling the church St Jude as he is the patron Saint of lost causes.

8D373BB1-E2C7-4EFB-8BEB-6642B7D29115.thumb.jpeg.4eb373e4646f18c26c4681622669f400.jpegDDB5A774-5211-4FA7-BD25-5B53619AB77E.thumb.jpeg.ea42efdc511337f4e270976ed23049c2.jpeg

Looking good, although whilst important buildings such as churches and manors were built with dressed stones, lesser dwellings would have been made using rougher undressed stone as it was cheaper and quicker.  So I think thank you can allow a bit of randomness in the build.

Edit: the quality of the stone would probably also depend on the wealth of the manse and its lord. 

I'm enjoying both your and Ekis' builds👍😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

On 7/9/2020 at 7:00 AM, Waitoa said:

Thinking of calling the church St Jude as he is the patron Saint of lost causes.

Very appropriate!

If the building had been repaired at any time you'd find all kinds of bodgy work. Having seen quite a few mediaeval stone walls, many of them had pretty rough stonework.

image.png.4f3137aafca3a52da0b9b1740ee28cf1.png

This photo is of the Land Walls of Constantinople (modern Istanbul). The tidy stuff at the right is a modern reconstructed wall.

And below is a section of wall at Southampton, UK.

image.png.0746d4bc9f4e42f5db7786dc8ad5279c.png

Thanks, I am going to go with the story that this stronghold has been sacked a number of times.  I am getting better due to the help of a file.  Once I get past the bell tower windows will post some learnings.

Added a layer of terracotta bricks for contrast and also applied a Matt varnish to that level. 

47FA2257-B98C-45C1-BBA1-6A97780B2CC2.jpeg

looks great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thought it would be useful to post some of the tools that I have found useful:

Saw - this is good for cutting bricks to size but needs to be done carefully as they can shatter 

Craft knife - similar to the above for smaller trimming

Files - the bigger one is invaluable for shaping bricks before fitted but really good for filing back bricks to give a more consistent finish as removing the high points give a less rustic look

Modelling Clay- just started using this and it is good in filling in gaps and also levelling off uneven layers that filing can’t improve.  It does leave a plastically and rubber feel but fine sand paper seems to remove any excess

Brush - this is really useful given my ineptitude there is a lot of filing going on and the dust settles everywhere so regular brushing surfaces before clueing is important 

The Stick (trademark pending) - the most useful tool.  Been using it to tap down the bricks and to flatten down a course of bricks.  Also noticing that overtime the layers tend to lean out so this allows to correct this and where necessary, as in the photo, gives some indication of how much filing is required to bring it back into line

16F7790A-80D8-4E71-9709-E7F3F90AF1D8.jpeg

9417DD44-8FCF-4709-A9B3-1BF482534C6F.jpeg

1 hour ago, Waitoa said:

The Stick (trademark pending) - the most useful tool.  Been using it to tap down the bricks and to flatten down a course of bricks.  Also noticing that overtime the layers tend to lean out so this allows to correct this and where necessary, as in the photo, gives some indication of how much filing is required to bring it back into line

Yes, even we "real life professional"

bricklayers use a big stick and a big hammer sometimes because walls do tend to lean over of their own account, 😬🙄🙄😂. I've been told by my garage mechanic that the big hammer is in their toolbox too!!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Every occupation has a bigger hammer, some of them have even bigger hammers......

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Even occupations one doesn't associate with the BFH (Big Freakin' Hammer) have them.  I worked in IT and we had them to threaten recalcitrant computers.  Sometimes the threat worked.  When it didn't.. take out the frustration on it with the BFH.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Oh no, did a bit of a stock take and decided to open all the packages and seems I am short half a house, most of the Manor House and no gate house.  Appears that I have a lot of bricks though and may need a trip up into the loft to see if I have missed anything.  If not I will need to get creative and come up with my own versions.  

To that end bought an Aedes Ars kit that contains 2 houses, a house and forge, a pigeon house and another church.  The church is out of scale with the rest of the buildings at 1/150.  Will use the church material to supplement any gaps in the other buildings and the pigeon house I may turn into a bastion.

Initial impressions of the kit is that it is a good set coming with glue, scenic material and the quality of the bricks far superior to the ones in the old Del Prado kit.  Really enjoying this type of build and would recommend this to anyone.

9714C774-BE3E-4553-B638-B34DE102CBFF.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

First attempts at roofing aren’t great but good news by the end of this will have had a lot of practice.  Also intend to have around 40 people added and are using Preiser figures from their Medieval festival along with some market pieces.  All I have to do now is paint them all.

Waitoa

728732B3-295E-47CC-933E-3FAED84FD777.jpeg

59D20971-D0A3-4465-BFE5-C22C2F87C3B1.jpeg

Those Preiser action figures are nice.
You must have spent a long time painting them...

I'm not sure if I'm going to put them in the village: I'll decide when the construction is finished.
But I had also spotted the "Mittelaltermarkt" pack to paint.

16 hours ago, Ekis said:

Those Preiser action figures are nice.
You must have spent a long time painting them...

I'm not sure if I'm going to put them in the village: I'll decide when the construction is finished.
But I had also spotted the "Mittelaltermarkt" pack to paint.

Hi,

The figure painting wasn’t too bad just have another 30 to go.  They are a real mixed bag in terms of periods and dress and some of them are from a Christopher Columbus set.  Would estimate about 40 useable ones with the remainder being modern and going to end up on my son’s train board.  There are some pre-painted town guards and other pieces which I may get but these have not been released yet.  Some ahistorical potatoes and orange carrots in the market place and sure no one else will spot them at this scale.

Adding the people more as a distraction from some of my mistakes.

Loving tha addition of the figures  - it so brings it to life.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1