Building a Medieval fortress - by Waitoa - Del Prado 1/87

Folks in some parts of South Carolina put mustard on their barbecue. In eastern North Carolina, we have fans of a vinegar/tomato sauce. Tangier than the sauce we use out here in western NC.

Cole slaw and french fries/pomme frites for me, sir.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

4 hours ago, Waitoa said:

I think I need some vegetable sides and paint masks on the townspeople 

Back then it was rats not a virus.:( 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, Canute said:

Folks in some parts of South Carolina put mustard on their barbecue. In eastern North Carolina, we have fans of a vinegar/tomato sauce. Tangier than the sauce we use out here in western NC.

Sure glad I am just getting sat down for dinner Ken, you are making my mouth water! Not barbecued but tonight it steak with mushrooms night! :)

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

Sure glad I am just getting sat down for dinner Ken, you are making my mouth water! Not barbecued but tonight it steak with mushrooms night! :)

Hey!   thats my dinner latter today  ..........."yummy"🥩

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I thought this site might be of interest: https://hirstarts.com/index.html

They sell an astonishing array of molds. There are also a surprising number of tutorials and projects to be found,

https://hirstarts.com/tipsmain/tipsmain.html

https://hirstarts.com/projects.html
Their market is RPG folks and some war gaming folks. 

6 hours ago, EricWilliamMarshall said:

I thought this site might be of interest: https://hirstarts.com/index.html

They sell an astonishing array of molds. There are also a surprising number of tutorials and projects to be found,

https://hirstarts.com/tipsmain/tipsmain.html

https://hirstarts.com/projects.html
Their market is RPG folks and some war gaming folks. 

Thanks for this was thinking of taking a break but some of these moulds are getting me thinking of potential detailing I could add.

look'in great.......don't stop!  :o

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

20 minutes ago, Waitoa said:

Ha ha, my son is learning, I used to play but like most things as you get older life gets in the way

I can relate to that  - from Synth/Bass/Sax   and now with VST's.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

buildings are coming along very nice

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I have a Fender/Squire bass in my collection.....plays just as good as an original Fender ;) 

nice progress on the house.......you may find that scratch building gives you more freedom and will expand your imagination.  I find some instructions so 'dumbed down'

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

On 1/31/2021 at 3:16 PM, Waitoa said:

used to play but like most things as you get older life gets in the way

Same but for me, it’s just means I play worse. :)

Edited by EricWilliamMarshall

I would imagine that there would be ropes to open and close them,  just like early ships.   another way you could have gone,  was to do them as shutters,  one on each side.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

5 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I would imagine that there would be ropes to open and close them,  just like early ships.   another way you could have gone,  was to do them as shutters,  one on each side.

I have seen some pictures with what looks like a stick to wedge them open, on the next building I will have them as shutters on either side.  While not going for strict historical accuracy enjoying putting in different styles and building approaches.

Trying to plan out the next steps, trying to plan it out the next steps.  Will have it in sections like Ekis and want each section to be higher with the church being at the top.  Have two house kits to complete and the tower after that it will be scratch building gate house and Manor.  Looking at the mid1200s as it allows for the more crowded winding streets.

6096A094-821B-40A0-A3AB-6D5FEF985AAB.jpeg

824514EB-0660-4885-AC60-CEBD3C8FA97F.jpeg

13F8C3D1-470B-4BD7-995E-C0653E879A53.jpeg

very nice indeed im so glad you are carrying on with it, mine has now gone on the back burner, as my yearning to boat build has come back to me 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Looking good,  also liking the hydra type beast attacking the wall, I think the guards are out of their depth!😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

very nice indeed im so glad you are carrying on with it, mine has now gone on the back burner, as my yearning to boat build has come back to me 

Thanks, I have a habit of starting things and then putting them on hold, this will be a very slow build and have 3 part built boats I need to finish.  One of the positives of the lockdowns is that I have time on my hands that I normally wouldn’t have as used to have to travel within Europe a bit.  Just need to deal with the lack of motivation and home schooling.

3 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Looking good,  also liking the hydra type beast attacking the wall, I think the guards are out of their depth!😁

Is that not right for this period?  My son is getting into Warhammer 40k and I am being roped in to help paint and he suggested the inclusion to add some drama

14 minutes ago, Waitoa said:

Is that not right for this period?

I think the creature may be smarter than the guard. Or the guard doesn't want to confront it directly! Either way it looks like the village is going to have a busy night.:D

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

47 minutes ago, Waitoa said:

Is that not right for this period?  My son is getting into Warhammer 40k and I am being roped in to help paint and he suggested the inclusion to add some drama

It looks as if one of the guards is already down.    Nice touch though having the beast go back to climbing the wall.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, Waitoa said:

Ahh a Tyrannid! what the village needs now are some Blood Angel Space Marines😁.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I'm gonna send my Chally in.😛

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

29 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

I'm gonna send my Chally in.😛

Vindicator Laser Destroyer would make quick work of your Chally AND the Tyrannid, thus saving the local tavern for use by all!:ph34r::D

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey