Oseberg by crispy - Billing Boats - 1/25

I have just received my Oseberg purchased on ebay from from rc-multistore_de.  Impressed by the very fast delivery to the UK from Germany.

I do not plan to cover every step of the construction which has been done so eloquently by others including Jack and Kossa.   However I will describe any variations as I make them.

Firstly I noticed a tiny sketch in the instruction book showing that the stem and stern keel pieces #10a and #10b need to be faired.  As described by Jack these pieces will be removed and replaced by the scroll pieces so they will not be faired.  Instead I have faired the keel pieces #10 almost to a knife edge.  I will decide whether to shave off a layer of the scroll pieces in due course. 

Like Antti I plan to fill between the bulkheads with softwood to stiffen the structure and to form a firm base for planking.  I did the same with a Friesland model with good effect.

In hindsight I think fitting the scroll pieces before attaching the strakes is the best solution. Mainly because the shape of parts 10a and 10b is not 100% identical to that of the scroll pieces.

Personally I think the soft wood filling exercise is quite superfluous because the frame is sufficiently sturdy.

Regards,

Arjan

29 minutes ago, Arjan said:

Personally I think the soft wood filling exercise is quite superfluous because the frame is sufficiently sturdy.

yeah but .............  having a solid wood base to lay the planking on guarantees a much better shape, especially with such thin plywood planking.