The 2 1869 Loco's that met at Promontory Utah

When I first saw Popeyes  Civil War General engine, I knew I had to build it.  He did such a beautiful job on it & gave me a lot of Pointers I talked to him a lot & avoided a lot of problems & got a lot of ideas. My General turned out nice  & I was very happy with it. I have built every kind of static model made I think & I will be 90 this year & still love building models. Then I saw another train article on building the 2 locomotives that met at Promontory, Utah in 1869. They are real beauties & can be built from the MPC 1/25 General kit. There are a lot of changes, but not too hard.

I will show a bunch of finished pictures of them first & then some building pictures. It took me less than 4 months to do them both. I will also put some of my General in too. More to follow as I am just relearning how to post pictures again.

01-DSCN7469.thumb.jpg.a98739179d8ad89af85436249bc480d6.jpg

01-DSCN7469.jpg

05-DSCN7473.jpg

06-DSCN7474.jpg

08-DSCN7476.jpg

09-DSCN7477.jpg

10-DSCN7478.jpg

13-DSCN7481.jpg

Yves, thanks a lot, I was just getting ready to put on some more Pictures. Thee first ones are of my General I built with a lot of help from denis. The second batch are my building of the 2 1869 locos. I used a piece of 3/64 brass wire & some plastic tube & some brass eyebolts that fit the brass rail. I then used the kit parts that hold the wire rail. It worked well.

On the tender a made a pattern of the tender lnside & cut a light piece of plastic sheet to build up the tender floor so it would not need so much wood or coal. I used HO coal & sticks of wood from my oak trees. These were super fun to build & at 90 my language changed describing things.

I also showed how I redid the front of the smoke box on the U.P. coal burner. I had to cut off the 2 General name plate raised section on the boiler sides. Then fill them in. I also always put spme wood in all my models for weight & this time to be able to nail the bottom ends of the brass strips on the boilers. They are 1/64 x 1/8" brass strips ,polished & lacquered. I had to get them from England.

The front wheels were spoked on the kit & I filled them in like the real loco's. I also used some paint pens on a lot of fine lines' My hands shake quite a bit from nearly 80 years of model building . Not the building , but the years. I will add some more later.

Gene

19-DSCN7437.JPG

17-DSCN7435-001 - Copy (2).JPG

02-DSCN7424 - Copy - Copy.JPG

02-DSCN7413-001 - Copy (2).JPG

01-DSCN7423 - Copy - Copy.JPG

01-DSCN7412-001 - Copy - Copy.JPG

DSCN7339.JPG

DSCN7336.JPG

DSCN7334.JPG

DSCN7330.JPG

DSCN7326 - Copy.JPG

Now those are impressive Gene! And I'm not even a train kind of guy. There is no question you have some serious skills.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

now THOSE are a couple of Kick-AZZ trains Gene!  you've got me wanting to get another one!  the admiral hates you......by the way  ;)   I love the use of colors.......very striking!  I'm glad that my log helped you.........you did the wood perfectly! :) 

five 's my friend!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

What the others have said goes for me.  Just wow... beautiful work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Popeye, denis, I have some advice for you. #1 you made your wife an Admiral, after over 50 years my wife is an ensign & she had to earn it. She will be 84 in a month & I think thats high enough. Now show these to your Admiral & tell her you are going to dress up your home a bit.

The Ferraris are in the foyer, the big case of fighters are in the Living Roomthe Robt. E Lee & Ferraris in Living room, the wall of cars downstairs hall .then downstair to my big den with at least 20 big sailing ships, my trains & 1/72 planes. The Kingfisher is at Dulles & is hanging over the Enola Gay & is the EXACT same plane my brother flew in off the Indiana. It was from the Indiana. He got a kick out of that.

Now I hope this straightens your Admiral out. If not I have a spare bedroom.

Gene

DSCN4816.JPG

DSCN4814.JPG

DSCN4812.JPG

DSCN4804 - Copy.JPG

DSCN4797 - Copy - Copy - Copy.JPG

DSCN4793 - Copy.JPG

DSCN4792.JPG

DSCN4795.JPG

Beautiful models all of them, wonderful displays as well sir...

One question, (off topic) is that a Walker Colt in the middle of that hand gun display? Beautiful example if it is and nice display as well...

One heck of a man cave brother...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

egilman, That is a Walker replica. Back in the late 1950's &60's I had a big collection of Civil War guns, all types Carbines & revolvers. That was when you could buy a walker for 2500 & a colt 44 Army fo 90 & up. I had a chance at a mint 51 Navy for 200. I sold them  back then .

2 hours ago, gene1 said:

egilman, That is a Walker replica. Back in the late 1950's &60's I had a big collection of Civil War guns, all types Carbines & revolvers. That was when you could buy a walker for 2500 & a colt 44 Army fo 90 & up. I had a chance at a mint 51 Navy for 200. I sold them  back then .

Very nice, the replicas are selling for crazy money now.... Back in the 80's I had an original unmodified Walker, Paid a pretty price for it... was paid an even prettier price when I sold it...

It definitely was a "Horse Pistol" I sold off my collection many moons ago also... I would love to even be able to hold a Colt Navy today..... The only collectors piece I own today is a '40 Romanian Mauser (russian scrubbed of course) all matching serials except for the bolt.... The research says it was on the right flank (German left flank of the relief attack that failed) at Stalingrad... Picked up and rearsenaled by the Russians after the war. Not worth much, but it still shoots straight......

Anyway nice collection of models one day I may have the same thing if the Admiral allows it...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I own the living room.......I am having a bit of trouble throwing the furniture out though ;)    she won't let me  :D    you have quite a collection there.........I don't have near that many!

....now........if you want to talk about active projects.................well............

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Love your posts denis & after my wife saw my last post to you, she is now an Admiral. Either that or I visit you for food & lodging. Tough little woman.

By the way Nino , on this forum, sent me the picture to make the decals. They came, I believe, from Frank Leidek's post. It  was tough to get them sized right, but with nino's help we did it . nino is a true computer expert from IBM.

Gene

• 2 weeks later...

I know you all know how to mask , but I did it this way to paint my inside green & leave the parts that get glued free of paint. I mixed the green a little light & when I was done I scraped the window frame edges free of paint so my outside paint would cover better, especially red.

Them I masked the inside windows to spray outside. Worked great.1095423341_13-DSCN7386-Copy-Copy-Copy.thumb.JPG.e0551f2292cdc119694ad85430bc0ebe.JPG