Battle of Waterloo Attack on La Haye Sainte Farm 1/56 28mm

Just got back in after an adventurous  stroll  -  I had a fall lost my footing and landed on my hands and knees in the road  - picked myself up  checked the damage  - "can still move my legs/knees - check"  -  "hands bleeding a bit from the gravel"  walked the remainder  home  got in admiral  put a couple of plasters on - currently sitting with a freezer bag on my one knee as its a bit swollen and red.

Typical first walk out in nearly two weeks and that happens.😒

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Won't like that one OC, hope you are ok?

I now have a mental picture of you on all fours setting your soldiers up in the road😏😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Looks like everyone has run most of the options. There is the type of mixer that is used in medical labs for mixing compounds... works kinda like an oscillating sander there are even some videos on how to build one...

But alas I'm laazzyyyy....

I use the old rattle ball standard that has been around since little bottles of paint were invented except I don't use one ball, or even two balls... (three neither, sometimes if the paint is thick enough they get stuck in the paint and don't work)

I use six balls in each bottle, makes very short work of mixing any separated paints, even those thick ones that have been sitting for a couple of years. The many multiple BB's act like a shot cleaner while being shaked cleaning the paint off the sides and bottom of the bottle. Where the paint can withstand the impact of one, two or even three BB's without mixing sometimes, good paint can't handle the constant pounding of six BB's and if that doesn't mix your paint within a minute or two, throw it away and get another bottle, it's gone bad....

I get mine from Wally World, in the sporting good section, a few bucks for 1500 BB's, enough to last several years and several hundred paint bottles.

And guess what? never any mess or spilled paint...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

12 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Typical first walk out in nearly two weeks and that happens

Be careful brother, it ain't even winter yet.....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

2 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Be careful brother, it ain't even winter yet.....

Thanks bro.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Edwardkenway said:

Won't like that one OC, hope you are ok?

I now have a mental picture of you on all fours setting your soldiers up in the road😏😁

Thank you Edward  - Im currently sat in the chair  frozen towel around my knee and  blanket on me as I am cold (bit of shock I guess)   I know what I have done as its an old injury  torn my right knee ligament again - nothing to be done just rest and gentle exercise.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

No work at the table today  - I just sat infront of the tv and finsished the night watching Expendables 3  feeling sorry for myself.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Wishing you a fast recovery, OC. No fun being banged up, with bad legs.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

9 minutes ago, Canute said:

Wishing you a fast recovery, OC. No fun being banged up, with bad legs.

I know mate  - its an old injury  from when  I was ran into and knocked off my bike  by a car  - many years ago, it must have weakend my knee  and falling on it yesterday  just kicked it off again.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I'm not liking that either, OC.  Re-injuring an old injury is no fun and probably hurts more than the first time.  Getting old ain't for sissies they say.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

35 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I'm not liking that either, OC.  Re-injuring an old injury is no fun and probably hurts more than the first time.  Getting old ain't for sissies they say.

Thanks Mark,    Its bloody annoying  - I only went out to a local shop  (first time in Two weeks)  walking off a path somehow  was not concentrating stubbed my foot somehow on the road surface and before I knew were I was I could see the road coming up towards me as I fell on to my hands and knees  - hands got gravel guts  and my Knees  (thankfully I had my trousers on and not my shorts)  my hands were bleeding and my right leg felt like it was swelling up,  I was able to walk ok without pain. As soon as I got in  - trousers came off  shorts back on  kneess and hands were washed then  some frozen  things wrapped around my knee to bring the swelling down,    I recognized the  pain in the inside part of my knee as where I had torn my ligaments before.

Just typical.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hope you got all the dirt washed out. I'd do similar in my "yout" and end up getting my knees bathed in the medical cleaner of the time. Hydrogen Peroxide was good, but hurt like blazes as it foamed up and worked it's business. Good job with the ice on the knees, although you should eventually change over to heat to increase blood flow to the affected area. My Admiral is a retired Registered Nurse and that's her preferred treatment. Us old fighter guys need extra medical help, you know.;)

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

sorry to hear of your fall....hope your getting better :( 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

41 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

sorry to hear of your fall....hope your getting better :( 

Thank you Denis,      I am bored and fed up  sitting in my chair watching rubbish on tv  with my leg up on my  stool  - thank goodness for our site and the internet.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Could you work on stuff in a tray in your lap? Properly protected from glue and paints, of course. 😷

Good time to do research online, instead of having your brain turned into mush watching the boob tube.;)

Ken

sorry to hear off your fall, hope yr feeling better, were you preoccupied about the diorama, LOL, it may have saved your life, being on the ground from being shot by the French, 

seriously though, get well soon

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

19 minutes ago, Kevin said:

sorry to hear off your fall, hope yr feeling better, were you preoccupied about the diorama, LOL, it may have saved your life, being on the ground from being shot by the French, 

seriously though, get well soon

I kid you not I swear blind I saw a Cuirassier charging at me  - probably made me jump for the floor.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 minute ago, Old Collingwood said:

I kid you not I swear blind I saw a Cuirassier charging at me  - probably made me jump for the floor.

OC.

there you go, i see a smile on your face, but i hope the purple helicopter, with the men in white coats dont read this story

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

53 minutes ago, Canute said:

Could you work on stuff in a tray in your lap? Properly protected from glue and paints, of course. 😷

Good time to do research online, instead of having your brain turned into mush watching the boob tube.;)

Gonna see how my knee is tomorrow   as I  cant wait to try a new idea out with my paintwork - re paint the Blue areas  with  some paint mixed with more Matt Medium  by putting a bit in a lid and mixing more medium into it, upto now I have beed adding a few drops of the mudium  to a whole jar of paint.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

there you go, i see a smile on your face, but i hope the purple helicopter, with the men in white coats dont read this story

"Shhhhhhhhh"

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Roger Pellett said:

OC,

Have you tried using your paint straight out of the bottle with no matt medium added.  I have been painting a series of American Civil War soldiers with Vallejo acrylic prussian blue paint straight from the bottle.  It dries without gloss.

Roger

Yep  I have tried  it both  neat out of the bottle after emtying it into a jar and thoroughly  stiring and shaking it, and by diluting it 50/50  with  water from the kettle after it had gone cold, this is my second bottle of it  as the company sent me a replacement  - both the same,  I  have tried a different technique  today  by squeezing a little amount out onto a plate  then adding a  few drops of water  then  testing on one figure  just the  paint  - and on another  with Matt Medium mixed then applied over the Blue areas  - both have dried with a slight sheen  not a fully dead flat matt  finish.

Its the Dark Prussian Blue  thats the worst  other colours not so bad  infact the Nato Black  comes out of the bottle deasd flat without any pushing  same with my White  but what is it with Blue and less so Red.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I managed to do abit today  (was pullying my hair it in boredom)    - so I decided to carry on with one of my 2nd KGL Light  - same procedure as the other figures  followed by a quick paint of the temp base  - one thing I know  certain Valejo Model Colour  acrylics are Not flats  - they are  semi satins  no matter what I do with them, so I will  use them  but  clear coat them with Tamiya Laquare  rattle cans later, but I wont use Vallejo agian - not reliable enough.

OC.

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

Woohoo a grasshopper,  the green jackets charge down to reinforce the farm.

I've been patiently waiting for these to arrive, nice, very nice.

Perfect R+R, sitting painting with friends 😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

15 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

Woohoo a grasshopper,  the green jackets charge down to reinforce the farm.

I've been patiently waiting for these to arrive, nice, very nice.

Perfect R+R, sitting painting with friends 😁

Thank you kindly  Edward,   yep  these chaps  are painted  arm less  so I can get  to thier  jacket buttons, then they are attached.

OC. 

Current builds  

Completed works.

Looks good, OC.     The only thing I can suggest and I don't know if you've tried it and that's to hit with some flat clear.  That problem has to have you pulling your hair out.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Looks good, OC.     The only thing I can suggest and I don't know if you've tried it and that's to hit with some flat clear.  That problem has to have you pulling your hair out.

Yep  (if I ahd any hair)    I have tried both gunze sangyo  and vallejo  Flat acrylic  clear coats  - from watering down the vallejo one as suggested  50/50  with water thats been boiled and  gone cold, to trying  it neat  after being  well and truly  mixed  (I havn't in fainess  been able to try the  ball in the paint method  as I havn't been able to get out  - but no where near me would sell such a thing as most small shops are closed near me  - and havn't been able to purchase such a thing on line).

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

OC, I see you are turning your tap water into almost distilled water. That's a good idea. I have to buy a gallon jug of distilled water every now and again. My well water has minerals and affects the paints.

Some of these newer brand acrylics are putting stainless BBs into the bottle to help agitate their paint. I have some Mission Models colors and I can hear and feel the BB rattling away as I shake the bottle. They also sell these BBs separately, but it could be hard disassembling a Vallejo bottle to stick one of these inside.

Ken

18 minutes ago, Canute said:

OC, I see you are turning your tap water into almost distilled water. That's a good idea. I have to buy a gallon jug of distilled water every now and again. My well water has minerals and affects the paints.

Some of these newer brand acrylics are putting stainless BBs into the bottle to help agitate their paint. I have some Mission Models colors and I can hear and feel the BB rattling away as I shake the bottle. They also sell these BBs separately, but it could be hard disassembling a Vallejo bottle to stick one of these inside.

Thanks  Ken,   I thought that about the bottles also,  its also weird with the Vallejo flat varnish  as I got every last bit out the bottle (even  got some distilled water into it by drawing it up  and gave it a good clean till clean - then emptied that last little bit into my jars  and gave them a  thorough stir,  in theory all the top coat is now mixed well enough in the jars, same with the paints  as they had the same treatment  - emptied into jars till the bottles were clean - they also get a right stiring  so much so I can see the bottom of the jars  as I move the paint around with a brush handle.

I wondered if all this nonsense is down to the actual primer  - the Vallejo Surface primer  (The Black One)  as its not drying to a  matt finish  but is a semi satin finish  - you can feel the smooth texture like a resin skin  not slightly rough  like other primers are.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

10 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

you can feel the smooth texture like a resin skin  not slightly rough  like other primers are

That's your problem right there, it's giving you a smooth finish BEFORE you put the color on.... Some paints need the rough texture of the flat finish to be flat..... And, all paint lines have various colors with this issue, It's the main reason I use nothing but dead flats for primers and separate gloss coats for anything that needs to be shiny.....

Good gloss paints will gloss over flat primer but they go on thick.... that is what I have to watch out for... Hence, I paint in nothing but flats unless I have to use a gloss because it's the only way to get the specific color....

Quote: