Battle of Waterloo Attack on La Haye Sainte Farm 1/56 28mm

1 minute ago, Old Collingwood said:

Hi all,   just a quicky  - I got some lovely feedback and comments of the owner of  Arcane Scenery  who I purchased my  LHS  farm kit from,  he is an established builder himself  and such an honour to get such lovely comments from him.😃

OC.

Great Stuff OC, well deserved praise too.

2 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Great Stuff OC, well deserved praise too.

Thank You kindly.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Evening all,   made some quite good progress  with the inside wall of the farmhouse  -  firstly I found some clear plastic  (the  casing of some jump seats)  I then measured  the windows and  set about cutting out some plastic pieces just slightly larger than the MDF window cut outs,  I then ran a film of PVA  and placed the glazing sheets,   then I made some cardboard strips and started framing the windows and doors, I finished off by applying a few coats of Nato Black and touched up the White after  doing the edges of the frame.

OC.

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1344.JPG

IMG_1345.JPG

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

23 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Hi all,   just a quicky  - I got some lovely feedback and comments off the owner of  Arcane Scenery  who I purchased my  LHS  farm kit from,  he is an established builder himself  and such an honour to get such lovely comments from him.😃

OC.

Well deserved praise, OC.   Your work is excellent.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

20 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Well deserved praise, OC.   Your work is excellent.

Thank you so much Mark.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

5 minutes ago, Canute said:

Coming along nicely, OC. Gonna be a beauty.

Thank you kindly Ken,    I think when you get into your stride and it enjoyable    the building  of it just flows,   and like I said earlier  I am enjoying it as its all do-able at this scale.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

So  - work for tomorrow  - 

Paint the back of the doors and paint around the small  airway windows - then do the same to the other  wall/side, then I can start adding some  floor beams attached to the walls on  each section.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,   more work  continuing  with a couple of Black layers on the doors, then I continued with the window making and frame making  on the other  wall, still needs a wee bit of White touch up after painting the edges of the frames.

OC.

IMG_1346.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

When I get round to fitting a first level floor  - I will have to do quite a bit of  fettling around to get the right hight,   so I will be able to place a few  soldiers firing from the Dorma windows that will be on the bottom edge of the roof    (question is  - how will place them there)

The problems I face are from the designed  physical size of the Farmhouse  as it was  cut  too narrow  and with the windows  too low down, this will affect  the ability to get the right angle for a staircase  and allow me to place the first level floor at the right hight, so I may have to fudge it a bit and put a step in front of each dorma window for my soldiers to stand on so they can shoot  from the windows,   none of it will be seen once the roof is on.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

A lot of structures have something called selective compression, shrinking segments to "fit'.  Also, the walls and floors aren't scale thickness, so that eats up your workable volume. You'll probably need to complete all the figures for the first floor, then add the next floor, sealing them in. That will keep you bouncing back and forth between the structure and your excellent figure painting. Won't get bored.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

6 hours ago, Canute said:

A lot of structures have something called selective compression, shrinking segments to "fit'.  Also, the walls and floors aren't scale thickness, so that eats up your workable volume. You'll probably need to complete all the figures for the first floor, then add the next floor, sealing them in. That will keep you bouncing back and forth between the structure and your excellent figure painting. Won't get bored.

Thank you for your kind words Ken,  yes I think you are right  in the way I will need to do the roof dorma windows/figure placement  - probably after trial and error sizing  - I will probably place the figures on some blocks to get the right hight, then when I am ready to close it up  - I will offer the roof up  fitting the dorma window side first.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,  next step in the dolls house  (farmhouse)  is to work on the roof sections to get an idea for the spacing of the first floor beams/flooring, to do this I first made up the roof containing the Two roof sections with the Two roof  beams,  after doing this I cut away the cardboard sections that make up the dorma windows,  after building the Two side pieces to the backing plate I marked a inner area that needed to be cut out  for access  to the dorma window - firstly I  pained on a few layers of PVA and heated  with a hairdryer, this is to strengthen the cardboard ready for cutting out the centre.

Next job was to mark the Three cut outs on the roof then using  my  hacksaw I cut down and using my blade cut across  till all Three was cut out,  I then glued the sub dorma frame to the roof  and added the roof pieces, then using some paper I made some flashing to seal a gap where the dorma roof meets the main roof.

This will now give me a good guide for where to place the roof beams.

OC.

IMG_1347.JPG

IMG_1348.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,   right back at it this evening after having a day off to watch a certain Footy match,  so  I have been continuing making the Dorma windows, I have tried to make the cut outs in the roof larger as the frames for the widows are not really big enough  to fit a  rifleman firing  - so I will have to give it some thought  or use the  specially  selected group of much much smaller guys😁

I have also started on the Two upper roof  windows  - these have  been glazed and will be displayed with a darkened  interior and with the windows shut  (the other Three had there windows removed by the  troops to  give more firing room.

Oh,   the mid  chimney stack was also fitted.

OC.

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1351.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

Worse case, OC?  You might just cut their legs down for them to be the right height.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

9 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Worse case, OC?  You might just cut their legs down for them to be the right height.

Yep, I will deffo do something  - to good an opportunity to wast  not putting a few firing from the windows.

What I might do  - Is place them in there  but  remove their Shakos  so they have more headroom, and glue them in situ rather than trying to place them on the  first level floor  and having to try to  fit the roof around them (that would be next to impossible due to the  square cut out shapes in the roof under the dorma frame.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

Good morning OC, coming along so very nicely, going to look stunning when finished

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

7 hours ago, Kevin said:

Good morning OC, coming along so very nicely, going to look stunning when finished

Thank you kindly my friend.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening family,    some more progress fitted in between  spotting in the garden,   I have been continuing with the dorma's  - I firstly  put a layer of Black on the indside backing plate and side walls of the Two closed/glazed  dorma's, then I started shaping/cutting and fitting some paper side pieces to hide the dorma window section joints  - quite fiddly/delicate work  - was secured over the top with a couple of watered PVA to lock in the paper.

OC.

IMG_1352.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

Well done, OC.  I don't think that roof will leak when it rains now.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

9 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Well done, OC.  I don't think that roof will leak when it rains now.

Thank you Mark,    I think it looks a little more realistic now  - they will either be painted Black or White  with a Grey slate roof.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Evening family,    some more progress fitted in between  spotting in the garden,   I have been continuing with the dorma's  - I firstly  put a layer of Black on the indside backing plate and side walls of the Two closed/glazed  dorma's, then I started shaping/cutting and fitting some paper side pieces to hide the dorma window section joints  - quite fiddly/delicate work  - was secured over the top with a couple of watered PVA to lock in the paper.

OC.

IMG_1352.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

All those small details are going to pay off in a beautiful model

Alan

47 minutes ago, king derelict said:

All those small details are going to pay off in a beautiful model

Alan

Thank you kindly Alan  - much appreciated.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,   some  quite good progress this evening  -  after finishing the  Dorma flashing on the top  window roofs  and painting inside them flat White  - I managed to put a few layers of dark Grey all over the roof tiles and  Dorma roofs, I also painted the mid  chimney stack with some brickwork detail.

Slowly getting there.

OC.

IMG_1354.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,    I continued with the roof  by adding a  ridge flashing strip, this was then painted, I then painted the faces of the Dorma's  Black, after this was dry  I applied a dirty wash  all over  making it look weathered, then a few brushed on  flat  coats to seal it all in.

So apart from fitting a few figures  - the roof section is finished.

OC.

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

3 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Nice work; the roof look very convincing

Alan

Thank you Alan,     I think it will look ok when its atatched to the walls  and when they get a bit of weathering too.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,   I did a couple of hours work making  a set of stairs this evening,   I have saved a lot of wooden lolly sticks  and I worked out  the length and width I needed  then cut them out, I have  then started to stack the treads and risers together glued using PVA  then I sanded  the edges to level them  - I need a few more  added to it as its not quite  tall enough, then I will add the Two side boards again made from my sticks, then I will fashion a hand rail.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

just getting caught up OC.........the farm house looks great!  got some really nice colors going on there :)   looks to be an easy peasy assembly!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

33 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

just getting caught up OC.........the farm house looks great!  got some really nice colors going on there :)   looks to be an easy peasy assembly!

Hiya mate,    yep its a nice straight forward  assembly  using a slotted  system, but I have made it more interesting with some bashing, I want to do a part interior  (as you do)  before I  put the whole farmhouse togther - then I will move onto the next stage.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.