Jump to content

Battle of Waterloo Attack on La Haye Sainte Farm.


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Evening all,    some more progress this evening  - firstly I dry fitted the  roof with figures to the house, slightly tight fit now - I will have to see what I can relieve before I fasten the roof down,   so I put the roof to one side and started building the Piggery and  small gate surround,  the surround was just a case of painting then gluing in place, the Piggery  is a Two stage building that needed building, I then started on the Whitewash on the walls and inside the larger of the Two.

 

The Piggery is just dry fitted to each and the wall at the moment.

 

OC.

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1386.JPG

Edited by Old Collingwood
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Evening all, so where were we "oh yes - building the piggy pen"   so  I painted it in the same colours as the house, then a bit of a wash - then it was glued in place.

I also re visited the the house roof, and after a bit of fiddling  (putting a few of the  riflemen on a strict diet)   I was able to get a good dry fit, so I thought  "go for it"   and  without delay the roof was glued on, it needed a bit of PVA into both ends of the gable ends  and with the aid of heat - it was forced to make a good connection.

 

Admiral want's me to build a real version for us to live in.....

 

So this is where I am at the moment.

 

IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1388 (2).JPG

Edited by Old Collingwood
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

OC,

 

Nice Work!

 

This is picky, but I suspect that the snipers firing from the upper story windows would have sheathed their bayonets.   There would have been no use for them and they would have added to the difficulty of handling these already long weapons in and out of the windows.

 

Another thought.  Since you have defenders armed with rifles, wouldn’t they have been the ones at the windows?

Oops, I believe that these guys are riflemen.  I assumed that all riflemen wore green jackets.

 

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

OC,

 

Nice Work!

 

This is picky, but I suspect that the snipers firing from the upper story windows would have sheathed their bayonets.   There would have been no use for them and they would have added to the difficulty of handling these already long weapons in and out of the windows.

 

Another thought.  Since you have defenders armed with rifles, wouldn’t they have been the ones at the windows?

Oops, I believe that these guys are riflemen.  I assumed that all riflemen wore green jackets.

 

Roger

Thank you for looking in Roger, to be honest  I think you might be right about the riflemen firing from the dorma windows,  I just made the figures up using the rifles that came pre made like that  - I will adjust that though,   Major Barring  had the Red Jackets (5th KGL)  with muskets  firing from the farmhouse, they were the smaller contingent  but still quite a few of them where in and around the farm complex, but the majority were the Green Jackets  2nd Light KGL  with rifles.

 

OC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Evening all, so where were we "oh yes - building the piggy pen"   so  I painted it in the same colours as the house, then a bit of a wash - then it was glued in place.

I also re visited the the house roof, and after a bit of fiddling  (putting a few of the  riflemen on a strict diet)   I was able to get a good dry fit, so I thought  "go for it"   and  without delay the roof was glued on, it needed a bit of PVA into both ends of the gable ends  and with the aid of heat - it was forced to make a good connection.

 

Admiral want's me to build a real version for us to live in.....

 

So this is where I am at the moment.

 

IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1388 (2).JPG

Looking very nice indeed. Its going to look spectacular on a base with the troops around it.

Alan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Looking very nice indeed. Its going to look spectacular on a base with the troops around it.

Alan

Thank you Alan,   its all a learning curve  - firstly the figure building and painting, then the buildings, then the scenery  trying to make that look lifelike.

 

This project always was set out to be an accurate Diorama  and not a  wargaming  set piece, thats why I will be placing the  figures  off thier bases and  glued down by the feet  (same with the horses).

 

OC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Next stage  started is the Stable block,   after viewing an over head  view of the  farm complex  it became apparent that this kit  is too  long one way but corect the other  - its supposed to be a square  more or less,   so I placed the stables  sections  on the table and looked at any ways to reduce the length of the one stable, I found out I would be able to trim it down with my sharp blade and ruler and create another slot, I did a similar thing to the outer wall of the one stable by trimming the end, this reduced it by about Three inches and will make the whole thing more square in shape.

 

OC.

IMG_1394.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FriedClams said:

Just catching up OC. and your farmhouse turned out great.  I really like the interior work and the staircase looks particularly authentic.  Love the image looking through the window.  Very nice.

 

Gary

Thank you so much Gary, I take your compliments as a real honour,  you are inspiration  with your builds.

 

OC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Evening all,   some boring progress tonight that doesn warrant a photo  -  I have been doing some  -  sizing, marking and cutting  to make the stables and base the correct size,   this took some thinking about  as the pieces  interlock  including a sloted section, but after a few hours I got there.

 

Tomorrow will be the start of painting the individual pieces including some more brick work.

 

OC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Evening all,   more work  this evening  - its "Painting time"    - the  stables  have Four main walls  each with  brick and paint detail,  I carried on my routine from the farmhouse  -  sand colour worked into the mortar gaps, then a  brick colour carefully brushed over the top, then the White built up in layers  leaving it thinner  close to were it meets the bricks  - lots more to do.

 

OC.

IMG_1395.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, king derelict said:

It all looks great OC. I am so impressed with how the exposed brickwork looks. It looks like the model is made with individual bricks.

Reading the updates on this build is one of teh highlights of my day.

Alan

Thank you so much for saying that Alan  - that was a really nice thing to say😊

 

OC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Evening all, a bit more progress on the stables  - I got the inside lower brick work painted Black (to match the farmhouse as its like that all the way round the inside walls)  but after chatting with the admiral  - as the room was starting to look like a  dump tip  with my table cluttered and messy  making the rest of the room look  messy, so I had a tidy up and put away  most of my tools/tubs etc, then latter when I returned to do some more work on the build I just got out what I needed not everything.

Its the pitfall of not having a  work area or man cave.

 

Anyway  the next bit of work that was started and finished was a pre cut section of  floor  flag paving  -  I  put a sand  fill in down first, then picked out the different flag stones in different shades of Grey, and finished off with a couple of dirt washes as it would have been well worn.

 

Foregot to take a pic - will  tomorrow.

 

OC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Evening all,

 

Firstly a Huge Thank You to Everyine for pushing  this to over 30K  - amazing😲

 

So  those pics I promised  -  I have assembled the Two stable blocks  - still awaiting some touch ups and the roofs.

 

OC.

IMG_1399.JPG

IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1401.JPG

IMG_1402.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

The slate floor looks like the real thing.  I hadn't appreciated the size of the farm. This will be a spectacular diorama.

Alan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, king derelict said:

The slate floor looks like the real thing.  I hadn't appreciated the size of the farm. This will be a spectacular diorama.

Alan

Thank you kindly Alan,    yep its got a fair amount of area to it - when the whole farm complex is assembled it will be roughly Two Feet Square, my display case is Three Feet long by nealy Two Feet wide.

 

OC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...