Battle of Waterloo Attack on La Haye Sainte Farm 1/56 28mm

3 minutes ago, king derelict said:

It looks great. Very natural weathering. What a recovery!

I think its a required skill to be able to recover from the unexpected.

Alan

Thank you Alan  -  means a lot mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

4 minutes ago, Canute said:

Definitely a happy accident, OC. I like the brownish staining. It looks very good for the stable area.

Thanks Ken,   I am going by the assumption that the stables would have been quite mucky  not just from normal use  - horses etc,  but also due to the torrential rain during the night nmaking everywhere really dirty looking.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I'm glad you recovered OC.   Accidents can really blow a project but you've done a great recovery.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Right then - here is the Full story of how I am displaying my dio  -

During the night the 2nd KGL  and  the KGL engineers spent the night trying to  make any defences  at LHS as possible, the weather was terrible  torrential rain and muddy water logged conditions everywhere.

So the engineers decided to take down both sets of  doors  (on the barn and end of the passage)  the barn ones where set on fire  to make a camp fire, also at this time all live stock was killed for meat.  During the following morning the engineers left only after re fitting the passageway doors  but the barn was left exposed with no door,   the 2nd KGL  had to make ready what ever defences they could  - Major Barring (the regiments leader)  instructed them to use what ever they could find for firing tables - yep they used the Kitchen one and any other food frames they could make, they also stabbed at the bricks with their bayonets to make firing holes in the walls nearest the roadway.

The also made a  temp defence blocking the roadway with the farms karts and any branches and other wood they could find (they would initially use this defence to fire from).

Major Barring  placed  his men  outside in the orchard, manning the  defence in the roadway  and  in the  rear kitchen garden.

The first attack happened around 1pm  with  skirmishes and the bulk of the the 54th and 55th  ligne regiments, the KGL made a good show of themselves and  shot a lot of the attacking French, at the same time the KGL's  Von Allen  sent down the hill from the combined British side 10 companies of Light KGL to repel the French, no sooner than they had reached the farm  and joined by  many of the KGL at the farm, a troop of Cuirassiers  appeared from no where and decimated Von Allens companies, most where slaughtered where they stood as they had no time to form squares, some including many from the farm  got inside the safety of the farm, but the rest tried to reach the ranks on the British side and where sliced up by the French.

The British repulsed this by sending down a  troop of British Cavalry  - this made both the French 54th/55th and the Cuirassiers  turn back up the hill towards the French Line.  Major Barring  sent a request for more ammunition as his men  had only been issued 60 bullets per man with no spares,  his request saw reinforcements in the shape of  - Two companies of  1st KGL  and One company of 5th Line KGL, this bolstered his men at the farm to about 500 men.

Around 2:30-3:00pm  a French Cuirassier  road down the hill close to the defence in the road (that was now in bits from the French advance)  he stood up in his saddle cried out  "viv la France"  turned around and  went back  - the defenders did not shoot as they did not know his intentions or if he was a deserter.

The next attack happened  soon after - same attack motion  of both sides of the farm,  but this time led by  Marshall Ney on his horse,  many again  where shot down by the farms defenders but the numbers of attacking French was becoming difficult to  hold.   But just when the situation was looking so bleak  Lord Uxbridge released his 15th Hussars to storm down the hill  and  force the French troops from the farms surroundings  - many French ran back up the hill to their ranks, some  tried to stay motionless  against the wall of the farm, but many where  sabred where they stood.

Some of the KGL  rushed out of the gate by the roadway to chase off the French  - trying not to get  road over by the Hussars.

This will be the stage in the battle I will try to  emulate with my dio  - with the 54th/55th ligne  a few  Cuirassiers  near the orchard,  Marshall Ney  retreating,   the 2nd and 5th  KGL  both inside the farm/outside near the kitchen garden  and  outside the main roadside gate, and a couple of  15th Hussars on the road side and near the garden.

Well that's the plane..........

Current builds  

Completed works.

23 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I'm glad you recovered OC.   Accidents can really blow a project but you've done a great recovery.  

Thank you Mark, my face when it happened  -  you could imagine.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Sounds like a good plan for the troop disposition, OC.    As for your face during the "ooo crap"...  I can well imagine as I've done that also.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looks like a good time/spot to build the dio. The KGL rallying to repulse the French units. Waterloo was such a wide spread battle, one needs to focus on just one unit's actions.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Evening all,   another repair job completed this evening  -  I worked on the other face of the stables  adding more White then a bit of  wash in a controlled manner - then I blended them in together  - I then pushed it against the house for comparison.

OC.

IMG_1410.JPG

IMG_1411.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,   more progress  - dust dry brushed on i most lower areas  especially the doors,   this completes the farmhouse and stables  - next the huge barn.

OC.

IMG_1412.JPG

IMG_1413.JPG

IMG_1414.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

23 minutes ago, king derelict said:

The doors look great. The dust really adds depth to the timber and looks like honest farmyard muck. Does it stay in place on its own or do you have to seal it?

Thanks

Alan

The dust is from an acrylic paint that I just dry brushed on  - I think its has hard wearing as normal acrylic paint, but if I am feeling adventurous  - could try using my airbrush and gently  spray some flat coat over it  - keeping clear of my window glazing.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,   work on the Giant Barn has started  -  my normal routine  colour in the cement mortar in between the bricks, then after a light pass of my brush to pick out the bricks (this took Two coats)   then I decided to be a bit arty and pick out different bricks in different shades  (as in hindsight they would have been some  orthan bricks)   basically I just mixed in with the basic brick colour  - firstly a slightly lighter shade, then slightly darker  - then slightly more Red  - think it turned out ok?

Notice the missing barn door?   that the one the KGL engineers  burned the night before - leaving the barn exposed.

OC.

IMG_1415.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

More spending again  - this dio better be worth it😵

So I have brought -

A  grass  mat, some tufts of grass, a  make it yourself hedge kit,  a box of British Centre Flank  figures (victrix)   and some more  figures for my 2nd KGL.

Might have to sell the admiral to pay for all this.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

just catching up OC..........I was amazed to find how many pages I was behind! :blush:   your not letting any of that 'grass' grow under your feet....I must say  ;) 

seen as a whole looks fantastic!  I hope the floor is removable,  so you can position riflemen in the lower floor of the farm house.  not much of an accident buddy.......gotta do better than that ;)   do it like I did one time........shake a bottle of paint with the cap loose!  ....didn't get it on anything,  but I didn't like the color of my hand :unsure:   way too much to comment on........but as a whole,  you've done an extraordinary job...as others have said,  it's going to be a work of art ;)   any chickens?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

10 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

just catching up OC..........I was amazed to find how many pages I was behind! :blush:   your not letting any of that 'grass' grow under your feet....I must say  ;) 

seen as a whole looks fantastic!  I hope the floor is removable,  so you can position riflemen in the lower floor of the farm house.  not much of an accident buddy.......gotta do better than that ;)   do it like I did one time........shake a bottle of paint with the cap loose!  ....didn't get it on anything,  but I didn't like the color of my hand :unsure:   way too much to comment on........but as a whole,  you've done an extraordinary job...as others have said,  it's going to be a work of art ;)   any chickens?

Thank you kindly Denis  - alas the floor and roof in the farmhouse is glued on, but don't worry there will be plenty of interest  with figures all over the place  - inlcuding a pile of dead blocking the rear barn door  - where they were  shot attempting to get into the barn.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,    more paint layers have now been layed down on the barn sections, I have also painted the inside wall along the side closest to the opening where the barn doors  should have been, as some of the inside will be visible whwn its assembled.

OC.

IMG_1416.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

your going to shoot them .........after you paint them :(   oh dear..........the life expectancy of an infantryman was rather short 'round here .   ...'an to think,  the poor chickens had to see this.............

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

19 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

your going to shoot them .........after you paint them :(   oh dear..........the life expectancy of an infantryman was rather short 'round here .   ...'an to think,  the poor chickens had to see this.............

"Nah the chickens went the same way as the ducks and no doubt any other live stock"  the  engineers the night before had a  roast up of all they could find,     with the dead pile of French  I will  make them from my  stash.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,   did some good progress  on the barn this evening  -  a few layers of wash then some dusting, then I was able to join the walls together, its  just dry fitted to the base as I will part paint the base before  glueing the walls down.

OC.

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 minute ago, CDW said:

Beautifully growing day by day. You are going to have a big investment in time when this is all finished, but there is so much you can do with it if you choose to go all the way. 

Do you envision landscape and all? Any livestock?

Thank you so much Craig,   yes  I  have some scenery  here and on the way - In the shape of some trees and  rough ground (the pre cast type)  also I have ordered a A4 sheet of different grass  heights  and one of those make it yourself hedges  (its made form course horse hair that you glue down and  add glue followed by sprinkled on Brown and Green foliage,   scenery making will be a first for me.

There was no livestock left mate  - they killed it all the night before the battle.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hi, really enjoying this topic, super work. I thought Id share this unusual book-- it is on Amazon for almost nothing. A chap was commissioned to make a model of the whole battle 190,000 figures-- Wellington didn't like it as it showed he was being a bit economical with the truth about the Prussians and certain individual in his official dispatches-- The first few chapters are slow but the rest is a fascinating read.

144377328_book2.thumb.jpg.06ba509f8906106512607403dbac49e1.jpg1179213268_book1.thumb.jpg.4f112cb4802eea1710e54e74bb08423d.jpg

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Forgot to say--- you can see it in London-- well some of it :)

9 minutes ago, CDW said:

Looks like a fascinating book. I put it on my wish list.

On Amazon they have 16 copies at £2 each plus postage ... Its worth a purchase even if you just look at the pictures LOL  :) 

50 minutes ago, Ian B said:

Forgot to say--- you can see it in London-- well some of it :)

Thank you kindly for your kind  words, that is an intersting looking book.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,   work on the Barn continues  - I started  by painting the floor section a  stone colour, then it  had a rough wash  then some  dusting, this included part of  the ground in the courtyard that's attached to the Barn base,   I then fixed the wall section down to the base and secured it with a heated PVA around the inside wall/base joins.

It was then  time to touch up the interlocking sections and weather them to match the exhisiting  paintwork.

I then measured up and adjusted the roof as it should be joined to the stable block and not have a gap - this still needs more work.

The roof is just dry fitted for now  as each roof section will be painted  before joining together to make it easier to  brush paint.

OC.

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1425.JPG

IMG_1427.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

Great work O.C.  I always enjoy catching up on your progress. Thanks for explaining the moment in time the dio will depict.  Fascinating history and a brutal scene.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

3 minutes ago, FriedClams said:

Great work O.C.  I always enjoy catching up on your progress. Thanks for explaining the moment in time the dio will depict.  Fascinating history and a brutal scene.

Gary

Thank you Gary for taking the time to read through my minefield  - it truly means alot.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,   the  Barn is now finished  - roof attached / painted  and weathered.

OC.

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1431.JPG

IMG_1433.JPG

IMG_1434.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.