Battle of Waterloo Attack on La Haye Sainte Farm 1/56 28mm

Still not sure about that back  - looks messy.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

9 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Still not sure about that back  - looks messy.

OC.

I see what you mean, I think in the circumstances perhaps they should go into battle fully kitted up, we wouldn't want you to send untidy troops into the fight "old chap, what!!" 😆😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

1 minute ago, Edwardkenway said:

I see what you mean, I think in the circumstances perhaps they should go into battle fully kitted up, we wouldn't want you to send untidy troops into the fight "old chap, what!!😆😉"

I might  make him an experiment  - could try sanding off some of the raised detail were the straps would be, and try to cut some very very narrow strips of tamiya tape, see if I could get them to stick then  prime over the top again to seal them down, then in theory  they would just be picked out with paint.

Or I might not and just slap the packs on.😵

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Sounds like the Carnarvon underling at Balaclava with the Charge of the Light Brigade or at least in the old Errol Flynn movie. "Good show, eh?"

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

As the Duke said:

The French system of conscription brings together a fair sample of all classes; ours is composed of the scum of the earth — the mere scum of the earth. It is only wonderful that we should be able to make so much out of them afterwards. 

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

6 minutes ago, Canute said:

Sounds like the Carnarvon underling at Balaclava with the Charge of the Light Brigade or at least in the old Errol Flynn movie. "Good show, eh?"

Underling!! Damn your eyes sir, he's an officer!!

Or Lord Cardigan in Waterloo to Wellington "I appear to have lost my leg sir"

Current builds;

Completed:

Don't think we Colonials made that distinction, suh. Our Riflemen took target practice on officers at Saratoga and Cowpens, fighting like the Red Indians. ;)

In our Civil War, the North formed a unit, named Berdan's Sharpshooters. The used rifles and wore dark green uniforms, similar to the 95th. Less flashy dress, since they were used as snipers. And they worked in pairs, like the British Rifles.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

3 hours ago, Canute said:

Don't think we Colonials made that distinction, suh. Our Riflemen took target practice on officers at Saratoga and Cowpens, fighting like the Red Indians. ;)

And to good effect in all accounts ;)

3 hours ago, Canute said:

In our Civil War, the North formed a unit, named Berdan's Sharpshooters. The used rifles and wore dark green uniforms, similar to the 95th. Less flashy dress, since they were used as snipers. And they worked in pairs, like the British Rifles.

It was an effective way of skirmishing, the British army formed the 60th light regiment from willing Americans but I cant remember wether is was before the 1812 war or after, they also were rifle green but without the black trim.

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi all,   I think I have rectified the back strap problems  -  I scraped off some of that double line detail  and the nasty gouge  I caused, now they are smooth but with just a subtle line detail, with a couple of thin white paint lines they should look ok.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

20 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

It was an effective way of skirmishing, the British army formed the 60th light regiment from willing Americans but I cant remember wether is was before the 1812 war or after, they also were rifle green but without the black trim.

http://5th60thrifles.co.uk/?page_id=108

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Yes, I have read on these Royal Americans. Not as well publicized as the 95th, thanks to Bernard Cornwell and his Sharpe series. Their rifles were a vast improvement over the usual muskets carried by line infantry units. Looking forward to OC  bringing them to 3D figures, versus pictures in a book.

Ken

@Kevin thankyou for that link, there was alot I didn't know in it eg the Dutch and German troops 👍

@Canute yes, if they are as well painted as the French, they will look superb. 

The 60th did get a mention in one of the sharpe books, Sharpes Regiment I think it was, but it's a shame they are not as well known as the 95th🤔

Current builds;

Completed:

The 60th Royal Americans were originally formed during the Seven Years War (commonly known here as the French and Indian War) in the 1750’s here in what were then the Colonies.

It was formed by innovative British officers in response to the defeat of General Braddock’s army by Indians and a few Frenchmen near Fort Duquesne (now Pittsburgh) in 1754.

In the first campaign of the war, Braddock led a column of British regulars, augmented with provincials (American colonists) to eject the French at Fort Duquesne from the Ohio valley.  After crossing the Monongahela River less than 10 miles from the fort, Braddock’s column was ambushed.  His well disciplined troops formed up and fired back.  In a closely packed formation that would have been effective in massing firepower on a European Battlefield, they were mowed down by Indians shooting from concealed positions.  Unable to effectively defend themselves they were ultimately routed, retreating to Cumberland MD over 100 miles in the rear.  General Braddock was killed attempting to rally his troops.

Thoughtful officers in the British command recognizing the need for more light infantry to fight in America’s wilderness environment formed the regiment.  These were not riflemen.  They were armed with standard smoothbore weapons and some weapons such as tomahawks unique to the environment.  Rifles apparently came later.

Those looking for a good book to read while at home sheltering from the virus might want to consider Braddock’s Defeat by David Preston.  In addition to bring this battle to life, the author argues that the veterans of this battle including George Washington, and Daniel Morgan (who commanded riflemen at Saratoga) were profoundly affected by it.

Roger

20 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

@Kevin thankyou for that link, there was alot I didn't know in it eg the Dutch and German troops 👍

@Canute yes, if they are as well painted as the French, they will look superb. 

The 60th did get a mention in one of the sharpe books, Sharpes Regiment I think it was, but it's a shame they are not as well known as the 95th🤔

I will do my best,  on my way to the bench as we speak.😉

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

So I have started laying down some paint layers  - started as I do with the faces / hair / sideboards  then the brading and plate on the hats,  next I put a few Red layers on the jacket.

OC.

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

The Admiral said  they are  "Creepy  - so lifelike"

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Fort Duquesne still exists or at least the site is preserved.   For those interested.....  https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/FindAPark/PointStatePark/Pages/default.aspx

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

During my Navy time I lived in Pittsburgh for six months while attending the AEC’s Bettis Reactor Engineering School.  After leaving the Navy, the company that I worked for was headquartered in Pittsburgh and I attended dozens of meetings there.  After my father died, my mother moved to Pittsburgh to be near my sister who still lives there.  

While living there here and visiting, I never thought to go down to the point to see what was there!  Unfortunately now, we don’t travel much farther than the neighborhood grocery store.

Thanks for adding this to my bucket list!

Roger

I will be honest I do not have a lot of knowledge about the ACW  apart from what I saw on the TV program North and South,   over here the only country wide war  we had was the ECW  English Civil War   between  the Crown following people and the  Parliment  - it  split the country leading to the war it created.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

14 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

In addition to bring this battle to life, the author argues that the veterans of this battle including George Washington, and Daniel Morgan (who commanded riflemen at Saratoga) were profoundly affected by it.

Absolutely Roger, Washington's victories over the Mohawk confederacy of the Iroquois nation came from his experiences with dealing with them in the Seven Years War.... Being the studious officer he was he kept a journal of the tactics his enemies employed and studied them... His future tactical decisions came from combining the best of standard British practice with what he saw as some of the advantages of the way the Indians fought... Basically turning line infantry into maneuver units on the field that could flow with the battle separate and rejoin as needed given the tactical situation....

Washington was a great man very intelligent, but he was not a great general, so he studied and took every advantage he could. Which made him a great leader.....

The French and Indian War was his coming of age as a leader of men...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

16 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

The 60th (Royal American) Regiment of Foot, better known under its later name, The King's Royal Rifle Corps, has long been associated with Canada after Braddock's defeat by the French and Indians in 1755, authority was granted to raise a regiment of four battalions to be recruited in Germany and from German colonists in North America. The regiment was named the 62nd, or Royal American, Regiment of Foot; but it was redesignated the 60th (Royal American) Regiment of Foot in February 1757. Recruiting for the Royal Americans in North America was disappointing, and more than half its strength was drafted from men rejected by British regiments in Ireland. From this unlikely collection of foreigners and cast-offs was fashioned one of the most renowned corps of the British Army. It was before both the War of 1812 AND the Revolution they were light so they could move relatively fast for infantry and they carried rifles rather than muskets to be effective at longer ranges with each man trained up as best he could be as a sharpshooter.... They are the forerunner of modern maneuver infantry....... The Indians of the NW territories came to hate them.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

you've made some really good progress since I last looked in  :)   great job!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

you've made some really good progress since I last looked in  :)   great job!  

Thank you kindly Denis.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,  let me introduce  a Rifle man of the 5th Battalion  Kings German Light  KGL  Line Regimant,   same procedure as the French figures  various stages of different paint layers  and shading and high lighting  - more fiddly this one was.

Picture gallery  - first off  the chap himself  then squared off aganst a French Grenadier  and then another group shot.

OC.

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0711.JPG

IMG_0712.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

13 minutes ago, Canute said:

By Jove, I think he's got it!

Straps were just a couple of hand painted layers of white  including one in Brown.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Yesterday I spoke with a few Waterloo reinactors who attended the 2015 event at Waterloo  and also a few historians  I speak to,   regarding the back pack subject  and the opinion seams to be that It would be a 50/50  thing, so I am going along with the idea to have some wearing it and some not.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Excellent re-modelling with the back of him OC. 

50/50 is a good compromise. 

They're coming along nicely. 

Current builds;

Completed:

9 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

Excellent re-modelling with the back of him OC. 

50/50 is a good compromise. 

They're coming along nicely. 

Thank you Edward, thinking about how to do the KGL 2nd  and  British 95th  as I think I can use the same figures  for both  with Rifles instead of the Muskets,  very simlar uniform also save for the 95th being all in Green except  for the Shako, the KGL 2nd had Grey trousers.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

On 8/4/2020 at 9:38 PM, Old Collingwood said:

I will be honest I do not have a lot of knowledge about the ACW  apart from what I saw on the TV program North and South,   over here the only country wide war  we had was the ECW  English Civil War   between  the Crown following people and the  Parliment  - it  split the country leading to the war it created.

OC.

Fort Duquesne was Revolutionary War not really used in the American Civil War.   

On 8/4/2020 at 9:14 PM, Roger Pellett said:

Thanks for adding this to my bucket list!

Roger

I'm happy to help, Roger.  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)