Unknown voice from silence:

"Nenad, have you ever heared anything about measuring and checking measure?"

post-4738-0-23370400-1475002859_thumb.jpg

"No, I don't" I answered "What is this for?"

(Scary Devil's laugh in the back)

"A-ha-ha-ha..."

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

"..History became legend. Legend became myth..."

And again ...

Unknown voice from silence:

"Nenad, have you ever heared anything about measuring and checking measure?"

attachicon.gif20160927_204958.jpg

"No, I don't" I answered "What is this for?"

(Scary Devil's laugh in the back)

"A-ha-ha-ha..."

Nenad, don't think you are doing so bad building this model, you started out the hard way and have been learning new things all the way, the result so far is a good model with some exceptional detail while becoming an expert on the Cutty. Don't change horses in mid-stream and go faultless on us, that would ruin the trip and the model.

Way I heared it was; measure twice and wack it off with an axe.

jud

All this is hobby and, under all, great fun, Jud.

Speaking of axe ... this days I read exelent historical book about Vikings: 

The World of the Vikings by Arnulf Krause.

and have read years ago some popular novels about them ( Tim Severin: Viking I and II, Bernard Cornwell: the last Kingdom series, etc etc)

In popular history, beside long boats, first association for Vikings are their terrific axes, having in mind type of axe we have seen in LotR as Gimli weapon. Or famous Tyrion`s axe etc etc

post-4738-0-57218600-1475056583_thumb.jpg

But, popular culture is one thing, and history is another, sometimes even a bit disappointing  

Real Viking axe,  at first look are not much different form usual axes we use today to cut woods (Google picture search "Viking X century axe museum"). I do not put in question their skills with axes, but I was relative disappointed when found those pictures  

So, which axe do you suggest to me to use ? ;)

Maybe this one, made by Rolan Vlahovic, for his gold medal winner model at Kaliningrad 2016 ( Naviga)

post-4738-0-02156600-1475058730_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

very nice work on the pump Nenad.........looks perfect!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looking great, Nenad.  The capstan bars came out well.   As for the axe... dwarvish might be too small.   And remember not to go to the elves for advice as they will tell you both "yes" and "no".   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have idea to try it, Carl, but I could not . Buckets I made are glued, and I could not take them. And I do not like water on deck until I finished Her ;)

There is a great truth in your words, Patrick. I realized it when I started with details on hull, particularly when I started to fill fore deck

Thanks, Marc

Idea for tonight is to try to make capstan bars on port side cabin - eight of them on surface only 8-9 mm wide, which means that particular bar has to be not more than 0,5 mm in diameter

attachicon.gifl5.JPG

And I have sent my working ants to Patrick, and they do not want to come back - saying, that work conditions are best, food is best, salary is best, model is more interesting, and works go faster

:stunned:

:im Not Worthy: :im Not Worthy:

Hi Nenad

Mmmm! Your Worker Ants were gratefully accepted and have been put to good work! However, the boss ant says that he misses your workshop and Her Majesty. I fear a mutiny is on the cards as they try to jump ship and head back your way!!!! It's so unfair.... ;););)

Seriously though, you've gotta be really proud of what you've done. It's a joy to follow your journey.

All the best!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Cabin with capstan's bars - finished

post-4738-0-54242100-1475259714_thumb.png

post-4738-0-26316700-1475259757_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-30554600-1475259777_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-00600900-1475259801_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

That's it ... Capstan bars ... you wake me up for that ! Lovely work, Nenad.they look smashing

Thanks Carl. They are made from 0,3 mm brass wire, and they were rather disobey until I glued them. Holder of bars is made from 0,5 mm veneer strips 

Lovely details Nenad. If there wasn't your hand for reference I would think the scale was bigger than it actually is.

Nick

Thanks Nick and welcome to my journey. Interesting thing is that when you succesfully make something small, it not seem to you such a small as  it is any more

My working ants are not still back home, so I worked in office tonight, not in shipyard.  

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Companionway in front of windlass - preparing

post-4738-0-35798100-1475418148_thumb.jpg

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

look'in great Nenad!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

No progress this days ... something that happen` to all of us with 55+ from time to time ... pain in my back - God only knows if it is "rolling sand" from my kidney (yes I have it, I was nice, but expected surprise on ultrasound scanning few days ago), or stiff back from unknown reason as a result of earlier sport injury (show off on the pool when I was 17. during water polo training) or who knows why

Or I just have hardened/stiffened on a wrong body part  :D  :D  :D  :D . Princess gave me some pills and it comes better, but still not enough to sit couple of hours in front of bench. Fortunately I have no job in downtown tomorrow, so I can be calm and peaceful ... I hope  

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

sorry to hear that Nenad............absolutely.......kick back and take it easy.   let's hope it is just a sore back.....her majesty can wait ;)

seven blessings to you.......{I forgot.....Cersi took care of that in a big way  ;)  :D  :D :D }

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Sorry to hear about your back, hope nothing else stiffens, which might make you feel awkward ... Perhaps someone can walk over your back ... just a thought (maybe I should come back later ...) get well soon

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Don't fret, relax and read a book about Hump Back Whales or something. Hope your pain is gone tomorrow.

jud

Thanks Jud. re-read of Viking`s is on line. Pain is still here this morning, combined with tooth pain   :( . Misery never come alone

sorry to hear that Nenad............absolutely.......kick back and take it easy.   let's hope it is just a sore back.....her majesty can wait ;)

seven blessings to you.......{I forgot.....Cersi took care of that in a big way   ;)   :D   :D :D }

Better Daeneris ...

Sorry to hear about your back, hope nothing else stiffens, which might make you feel awkward ... Perhaps someone can walk over your back ... just a thought (maybe I should come back later ...) get well soon

Hothead ( 195 cm and 115 kg) had similar ideas, but I do not intend to spend rest of my life as pancake. Rather agree with Princess idea to perforate some holes in me with injections ... :(

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Your children must really love you, Nenad, else they wouldn't offer such intensive care, and such intreguing solutions  ;) ...

Perhaps it is better to refrain from their offers, and just get better to work on your Cutty Sark. Best wishes to you

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Your children must really love you, Nenad, else they wouldn't offer such intensive care, and such intreguing solutions ;) ...

Perhaps it is better to refrain from their offers, and just get better to work on your Cutty Sark. Best wishes to you

I successfully avoided "construction roller method" and have got my first hole (1 of 3) to my back today, and it is much much better -I am considering option to mount couple of eye

-bolts in my holes, it can be usefull ;) - but ... office job suddenly expanded to Friday ( from 08-21h), Saturday and Sunday expected whole day, and her Majesty must be patience for a while

Adrian, Prince of Persia Kingdom, and the undisputed lord of our house, (untill my new puppy arives :D:D:D ) has not patience, and do not decided to leave me to finish my work, he decided to sleep right between me and keyboard, and that lasts whole day ...

post-4738-0-10308600-1475867058.jpg

And to solemnly publish great news - my new friend, Bobtail puppy is born couple of days before, and I just can not wait two months to take him to my place and his new home

First photos of Her (female) with her sister on their mother - only two days old

post-4738-0-28709200-1475867248.jpg

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Congrats on the addition!  Nice work on the ship also.  I've been on the road on and off for the past month and just catching up.  Keep up the good work!

Edited by keelhauled

Sorry about the pain...  I hope it gets better.     What a great looking puppy, but be patient.  Sort of like model ship building.. we just have to wait on some things.  ;)

You get a cat on the lap, I get a dog.  Hmm...  they pick the most inconvenient times to take a nap.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Gibbs is below my chair..........I have to rub his ears,  so I can read your update.   glad your feeling better.   cute puppy.........I enjoy having a puppy......both our dogs came to us this way.   I fear though that Gibbs is our last.......jury is still out on that though   ;).    continue to take it easy my friend......it's the only way to a good recovery.   now without further adue........I've held Gibbs off long enough........to the field we go   ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Finished last detail of front companionway

post-4738-0-30735400-1476302747_thumb.jpg

Tricky job, considering scale. To get idea how small it is, notice regular cigarette beside

post-4738-0-27524500-1476302697_thumb.jpg

Temporary on place

post-4738-0-54085100-1476302791_thumb.jpg

My back is ok now, my "sand production" is ... Let's say ... Ok ... But I lost another teeth :( and get doubled face for a couple of days with set of pills... That lead me to some prothetic works I didn't planed :( ... $$$$$$$€€€€€€

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Congrats on the addition! Nice work on the ship also. I've been on the road on and off for the past month and just catching up. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Marc. I hope to see your progress soon

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Sorry about the pain... I hope it gets better. What a great looking puppy, but be patient. Sort of like model ship building.. we just have to wait on some things. ;)

You get a cat on the lap, I get a dog. Hmm... they pick the most inconvenient times to take a nap.

Whenever they sometimes get us angry, I can not imagine my life without pet. Better for my new dog to grow in peace all time it need for. I will be patience. I promiss ... Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Hey Nenad

Only two days old, but a lifetime of joy and companionship to look forward to. I'm going to enjoy watching her grow, along with Her Majesty.

Cheers

Patrick

So do I, Patrick. Many happy years are in front of us Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Gibbs is below my chair..........I have to rub his ears, so I can read your update. glad your feeling better. cute puppy.........I enjoy having a puppy......both our dogs came to us this way. I fear though that Gibbs is our last.......jury is still out on that though ;). continue to take it easy my friend......it's the only way to a good recovery. now without further adue........I've held Gibbs off long enough........to the field we go ;)

Your Gibbs is legendary, Denis. Fortunately, cat did not even try to jump on my shipyard. Only on my desk in office. Better solution, I think

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build: