one hates it when it happens..........the only recourse,  is to try again  ;)   I too agree that a plug might yield better results for you.   keep at it my friend......and have a swell holiday!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Happy hollidays and all the best to all my friends on MSW!!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Happy Holidays, my friend.   I hope you, your children and, of course, the puppy are having a good time together.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Nenad

Nice OES (Bob tail).

Captain Steve is correct clapping your hands will make her stop then lead her out side then when she has done what she wants to do tell her she is a good girl.

Dogs have a short attention span, if you tell her off after she has done her thing in the wrong place she will not know why you are telling her off.

As for rubbing her nose in it that is a load of rubbish.

If I was you I would start to brush her coat once a day just for 2-3 min this will get her use to the brush.

When she gets older she will grow an undercoat, only comb that once every 2 months or so, the top coat will need combing and brushing every other day and that will take you hours to do.

If you don't brush her coat out you will be in big trouble later, knots start to form on the top coat and trying to get them out is very hard and painful for the dog.

If you think you cannot spend time with this sort of dog then you have the wrong dog for you, they are a lot of hard work.

I had 3 OES dogs so I think I know a thing or two about them.

Denis.

Hello Nenad,

Sorry for my long absence to your beautiful ship but I'm caught up now with the progress.  Very nice work you have done on the hatches, very believable.

Beautiful addition to the family too Nenad.

The ship's boats will be a challenge for sure.  I also did a plank on frame build for the submarine O19 dinghy.  It is 3 inches long (76 mm) so you should have no problem with it.  I actually made the frames like they would do in the shipyard.  You can check it out by clicking on link below, if you have the time.

When I get to making the ship's boats for the VOC ship I'll try the plug method, seems easier.

Gwen and I wish you and your family a very good and healthy new year.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Happy New Year to all of you, my friends!

Here is quite, some kind of winter vacations between 01-10 january. Courts do not work, people mainly do not work between New Year and Orthodox Cristmas ( jan. 07), so, even I want to work, I do not have nobady to work with or against.

Anyhow, Hothead is also at home those days, Princess has four free days, and we spend many nice moments together, playing wirh Rhea and meeting friends and relatives

Rhea is smart one. At today She has full three months, and already knows commands: No, left it, go out, sit, bring, come

First serious snow falls, and she is happy to the sky playing and running outside. For month and half She is with us, She doubled herself!

I found some time for me to continue my build, and first base for first boat is done. Four layers and a lot of hand works. And those beautifull smelt of sawdust after long time !

post-4738-0-44854100-1483474645_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-41593400-1483474675_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-15639800-1483474705_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-73630000-1483474735_thumb.jpg

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

looks great Nenad!   you'll be using this as a plug....am I right?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

It's great to hear everyone there is doing well, Nenad, including Rhea.  Looking great  on the plug.   As Carl said: "You can start your production line."

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Nenad

Nice OES (Bob tail).

Captain Steve is correct clapping your hands will make her stop then lead her out side then when she has done what she wants to do tell her she is a good girl.

Dogs have a short attention span, if you tell her off after she has done her thing in the wrong place she will not know why you are telling her off.

As for rubbing her nose in it that is a load of rubbish.

If I was you I would start to brush her coat once a day just for 2-3 min this will get her use to the brush.

When she gets older she will grow an undercoat, only comb that once every 2 months or so, the top coat will need combing and brushing every other day and that will take you hours to do.

If you don't brush her coat out you will be in big trouble later, knots start to form on the top coat and trying to get them out is very hard and painful for the dog.

If you think you cannot spend time with this sort of dog then you have the wrong dog for you, they are a lot of hard work.

I had 3 OES dogs so I think I know a thing or two about them.

Denis.

Happy New Year my friend!

I think a lot and read a lot about OES before I bring my decision to have Rhea, and I think I am ready for this entertainment. Even now with Her baby hair, every day I brush Her several times, to learn that brush and comb do not bite and to try to learn Her that brushing is fun.

My thoughts went in this direction: kids will leave house in a couple of years, and I will stay alone with more free time for walking etc etc. My Admiral passed, so I need a close friend in home to fill my free time. On another side, my office is in my house, so I need a dog mainly friendly to other people with good temperament, not agressive. At same time, I prefer bigger and more hairy dog than I had before. OES are rare in Serbia (only 3 trusted breeders) and I had to reserve my puppy before she was born, and to wait 6 months for Her

When I have meet Rhea the first time, I was sure my decision is good. That sad and smart eyes!!! That soft hair! The nicest in the whole universe!

And it seems She is very smart. She will live in house, having 700m2 yard arround for her needs and playing

Anyhow, any advice about OES is more than wellcome!

Thank you for tips and your interest

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Hello Denis and Mark. You are correct: Plug method I will play. But, production line will not be possible. Among four boats, only two are equial, so I have to make three diferent plugs. Fun.

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Hello Denis and Mark. You are correct: Plug method I will play. But, production line will not be possible. Among four boats, only two are equial, so I have to make three diferent plugs. Fun.

3 lines it is ... now you need some orders to get them started ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Rhea ordered first ;)

post-4738-0-16940900-1483546007_thumb.jpg

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Hello Piet. All the best my friend.

I think I wrote earlier that your submarine work has a piece of quilty turning me to devil's road of miniature work

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Nenad,

Nice work.  We always seem to be building the same parts over and over.

I was rigging last night and re-made the same fish tackle 4 times.  The third time I used a flame to burn off the little fine hairs on the line and forgot that I had waxed the line earlier with a wax solvent mixture that apparently wasn't fully dried.  The line which was rigged on the ship went up in flames instantly.  luckily it only burnt the one line and didn't hurt the ship or any other rigging.   So I won't be using any techniques with open flames anywhere near the ship going forward.  

every trial is an opportunity to learn - hopefully!

Marc

Hello Marc. I am glad you find some time to move forward

Playing with a FIRE without ICE near can be dangerous, particulary if Daeneris is not arround to command to flames. Maybe to use dragon's fire next time? I mean - little ant dragon ... with hairy precise fire. It can easily reach any hidem corner between ropes.

There is only one noticed negative issue with dragon ants ... they do not like to be without flaming jobb longer than a minute, so you have to rigg fast

:);)

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Happy New Year my friend!

I think a lot and read a lot about OES before I bring my decision to have Rhea, and I think I am ready for this entertainment. Even now with Her baby hair, every day I brush Her several times, to learn that brush and comb do not bite and to try to learn Her that brushing is fun.

My thoughts went in this direction: kids will leave house in a couple of years, and I will stay alone with more free time for walking etc etc. My Admiral passed, so I need a close friend in home to fill my free time. On another side, my office is in my house, so I need a dog mainly friendly to other people with good temperament, not agressive. At same time, I prefer bigger and more hairy dog than I had before. OES are rare in Serbia (only 3 trusted breeders) and I had to reserve my puppy before she was born, and to wait 6 months for Her

When I have meet Rhea the first time, I was sure my decision is good. That sad and smart eyes!!! That soft hair! The nicest in the whole universe!

And it seems She is very smart. She will live in house, having 700m2 yard arround for her needs and playing

Anyhow, any advice about OES is more than wellcome!

Thank you for tips and your interest

Hi my friend I did not want this log to turn into a dog caring log so I am so sorry.

My wife and I have seen people back in the UK and in NZ  fall in love with big hairy dogs and think they want one.

The only thing is what they don't understand is how many hours a day week after week it takes them to get the coat of the dogs up to what it is when they see it.

After a year or so the UK OES club had to rescued so many dogs you would not believe, when they asked the owners why are they giving up on the dog they said it is to much like hard work.

That is why I had to give you some warnings at the end of my message, after all dogs feel pain also but they don't show it.

I am very pleased that you have done some reading on the bread.

I am also pleased she will live in your house.

Give her the love and attention she needs and she will give it back 100% more.

Again sorry to hi-jack your log but dogs are so important in our lives.

Denis.

Playing with my patience ...

post-4738-0-98997600-1483642489_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-31975000-1483642502_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-22106600-1483642476_thumb.jpg

Just to get idea what I try to do

all is made from regullary 80 gr copy paper

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

I do not know, Carl. I am not satisfied with result, and this work is on the very edge of my possibility. Also I am not satisfied how copy paper reacts in touch with water based white glue for wood

Little re-thinking follows ... Maybe to make it simple as it is on "real" stage: Two boats lay upside down and only planking can be seen, and two are covered ...

Maybe to try another type of paper/card or another material ...

Me and myself have to discuss this question

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Nenad, If you do not see the inside of the boats, either because they are upside down, or because of a cover, why not make four plugs and plank them. You will do yourself a big favour, and no need to pull out (the last of) your hair

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Idea was to present inside of boats half covered similar as hatches. I ask myself can I do this? I have seen boats in this scale made of wood with all content. Maybe in another life. Maybe in this life

Here is present look of covered boats

post-4738-0-58649000-1483693660_thumb.jpg

Also you can see that planking of boats is tricky if you want to hit this efect plank OVER plank

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Playing with my patience ...

attachicon.gif01.JPG

attachicon.gif02.JPG

attachicon.gif03.JPG

Just to get idea what I try to do

all is made from regullary 80 gr copy paper

The technique looks good Nenad.

did you put some wax on the plug, so that the paper ribs stay fixed to the paper lapstrake planking, when removing this from the plug ?

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Paper is a problem with water based glues.   Have you tried a glue stick like some the Card modelers use?  I'm hoping that an office supply store there might carry them.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Clinker built is not easy, even at a larger scale

I realised it, Carl. as usual, on harder way, For clinker built, paper I used is too thin, and effect is missed. looking for another material or some kind of laminating ...

The technique looks good Nenad.

did you put some wax on the plug, so that the paper ribs stay fixed to the paper lapstrake planking, when removing this from the plug ?

Nils

Hello Nils. I am honored you are interested in my build. Surface of plug is varnished, and there is no glue touching plug. Ribs are glued to horizontal surface of plug with idea to cut excess later 

Forgot to ask why you should use white glue on paper ...

At monent, at home I have CA liquid, white glue and OHO / UHU standard home glue. CA is to strong for paper, entered deep in material and for sure will glue ribs to plug. OHO/UHU also, and it is thick and hard to manipulate in dots. So I was inpatient to start/try and I used dots of diluted white glue which do not enter through paper. White glue has feature to harden, and idea was to use this feature to harden whole structure. I am pleased with results of using white glue

Paper is a problem with water based glues.   Have you tried a glue stick like some the Card modelers use?  I'm hoping that an office supply store there might carry them.  

In Serbia ? hahahaha ... No, Mark, they only had classical school paper glue.

On the other side, my friend/client has company which is exclusive representative in Serbia  for "Heinkel" , including whole "Loctite" program, and I can find any kind of glue from list. In packing of 1 kg and more. So, bye 1 kg of right glue to be used only in couple of dots do not seem as god decision

Analyzing what I have done, i realized that plug has to be different. Making plug, I shortened it for top railing intending to mount it later ( ... fool ...) . also I shortened it for keel. It was not good idea.

Still thinking ... 

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Somehow, even I had mini holliday from dec. 28th until jan 10th which I spent mainly with kids at home, my free time slided from my hands. Days full of everything, extreme cold with extreme low outside temperature comparing to average ( full week with max -10°C to -17°C ) snow 40cm, different homeworks and office works last few days, and - I hate winter! Gas and coal consumotion for heating house was also extreme.

Every day I was thinking about making new plug, which do not have to last more than a hour of work, but, it seems that low temperature made empthy my energy resources. Of course, my little sweet beast which doubled her size for a month, demand some time for her. Her learning process goes well, new command almost solved (lay down). Also it seems She starts to love brushing her hair ! And She is crazy loveing to be and to play in snow. Playing with Her, I forced Her to run in yard making snowballs and hitting it in yard with apport command. Of course, She can not find snowball, but She was very happy to run throught snow and to digg it. Yesterday She brought frozen snowball I have hitted couple of days before, which She found by Her nose, smelt it and digged under snow! Really smart kid!

Anyhow, I hope to procceed soon with Her Majesty's boats. Even one of them. In meantime I was thinking about avaliable material which to use for ribs and planks, still without final decision

post-4738-0-49776900-1484303477_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

• 2 weeks later...

Improved plug

Let's go again

post-4738-0-40021000-1485023556_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-88806400-1485023585_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-85032100-1485023612_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-74911900-1485023654_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-80956900-1485023672_thumb.jpg

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build: