Thank Nick and wellcome

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Nice work on the boats Nenad, keep up the good works.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Beautiful work on the boats, Nenad.  I'm smiling that you'll get your cataract surgery.  I wasn't sure how you were seeing something that tiny.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 21/01/2018 at 8:13 AM, mtaylor said:

Beautiful work on the boats, Nenad.  I'm smiling that you'll get your cataract surgery.  I wasn't sure how you were seeing something that tiny.  

Yesterday I visitied my doctor who will do surgery. On left eye, cataracta causes 40% less funcionality in less than a year. I noticed some troubles during driving car, particulary at night. Fortunately, it dosent matter any more, surgery is schedduled at the end of February. Good news are that at right eye there are only signs of possible cataracta, and that on both eyes macula and retina are absolutelly OK.

Also I noticed fast eye fatique doing precise micro works, and some kind of difficulty to get focus under magnifier. Without magnifier boats just can not be done.

I plan for next days to start working on two lifeboats, but ... it seems I am on mistake-way again. I was seduced with idea for boats to look good with enterior ... and this has great impact to construction of boat folders

Look at those photos

166.thumb.JPG.05a74c6c4408280af58b5a5c8a812695.JPG

Life boats are turned as they stay in wather, and Jolly boat is turned upside down. Jolly Boat is turned upside down, and I made my Jolly Boat to stand in regular position, so all my work could not be visible!

See C-plans also

cplans.jpg.5f0b6b1c4c600868702c562eafb79c4e.jpg

Copnsidering Captains Gig there is different situation on her Majesty torady and on C-plans

8543877609_23af8107db_o.thumb.jpg.352b898ff637c2e9c6fb11718580dfb8.jpg

Was it possible that crew can turn any boat in the way it was needed?

Can it be that this detail of holder is mobile and customizable ?

det.JPG.20d3b370981b201d8b68ec7773602639.JPG

I do not think so. Or it is. Look at this little hinges, what is their purpose? Obviously to let crew to switch holder aside if it is needed.

So, truth will be somewhere between

Captains Gig will be positioned as on picture

Jolly Boat will be turned to be visible

Life boats will be turned as on C-plans and in CS, and covered with awning. Maybe one of them covered, another opened, maybe not. Still to think a bit

Or to rethink whole thing again ?

What do you, my friends think about this problem?

Edited by NenadM

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

when the boat is lifted out of the chocks,  those pieces lay down,  so they will be out of the way when they swing the boat around.   I was going to mention that Nenad......but I didn't want to......I thought you knew how they were situated.  the two life boats should also look the same......they are upright in the davits and they can be covered with a tarp at times.  the ones up over the cabin are keel up......sad to say would dash the idea of detailing them.   put them as you see fit....your the Captain.....it's your ship ;)   it would be sad to see good work,  not be used.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hmmm

I'll rethink about...

In mean time, life boat are ready for planking

IMG_20180126_204527.thumb.jpg.a030b060aa433288f4cf82725d631031.jpg

My helper take a nap

IMG_20180125_214036.jpg.972c892b8e94d81bb2081f22347bad0c.jpg

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

18 hours ago, cog said:

"My helper take a nap"

You mean:"Is pushing me of the couch for a well deserved rest" ...

Something simillar ... When she arrives (8 weeks old) it was very cold outside, so I broke my own rules, and let her live into house. She was fast learner and she get her hygienic habits quickly, so I decided here to stay with us all day. But, with some rules and regulations - she can not eat from our table, she can not sleep with me in my bed, she can not sit on chairs and couch in living room etc etc.

But ... week ago, after returning her from cutting her hear, she was so sweet and charming and cuddle so nice, so I can not resist to let her climb on me when I am on chair. Only once. And here is her really happy face. She perfectly understand what was happening, that she was allowed to do something which is not allowed, and it was fabulous looking changes on her face at the proces of climbing and after that ...  

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

She/he is a great companion to you Nenad, pets can fill your days with joy and love.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

our couch is old....we plan to get a new one someday.  Gibbs sits with me to watch TV

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Lifeboats, next step

IMG_20180203_195007.thumb.jpg.bd51aa8d7e1f9e656159e202a8add8c1.jpg

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Nice work on those boats Nenad.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

You're becoming a master of the very tiny ship's boats, Nenad.  Looking great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Patrick, Piet and Mark. Shipmodeler law No ... it always seem that piece you just have done, can be done better, more precisely and neatly, particulary when you use enlarged/zoom mode on good camera.

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

• 2 weeks later...

as usual, I see your work and must make changes to mine Cutty. I have my boats made but I think your clinker method will greatly enhance them.

Instead of working on Cutty, I continue to work on my 1967 one owner car. 5 years and very close to completion. 50 years and 200,000 miles (321,868 kilometer) took their toll.

Omar

Cutty Sark   Scientific kit 1:140ish

Thank you all for your likes and support

In Serbia, those days was national holliday (something simillar as July 4th in USA) and I was on trip with kids and beast

FB_IMG_1518982704091.thumb.jpg.00928fa756dcbc25c7fb93c85c2f4335.jpg

After 4 days doing - nothibg interesting, tonight was a time for lazy Nenad to continue with plankingIMG_20180218_200236.thumb.jpg.e322f83fc1ae91d93518743910c13738.jpg

Boooooribg job, indead...

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Thank you all for your likes and support

In Serbia, those days was national holliday (something simillar as July 4th in USA) and I was on trip with kids and beast

FB_IMG_1518982704091.thumb.jpg.00928fa756dcbc25c7fb93c85c2f4335.jpg

After 4 days doing - nothibg interesting, tonight was a time for lazy Nenad to continue with plankingIMG_20180218_200236.thumb.jpg.e322f83fc1ae91d93518743910c13738.jpg

Boooooribg job, indead...

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Boring perhaps but you are doing a marvelous job with it. Looking great Nenad.

Beast looks good too.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

On 19/02/2018 at 4:21 AM, Piet said:

Boring perhaps but you are doing a marvelous job with it. Looking great Nenad.

Beast looks good too.

Cheers,

Thanx Piet for nice words. You know, human brain is ... let`s say ... strange thing. At the same time you force yourself to broke own limits, and then you start thinking - is it worth, considering all another more atractive details on decks, and all future sails and ropes which will visually cover boats almost at all.

Fun, anyhow ...

21 hours ago, mojofilter said:

Very nice planking Nenad - while I am no where near working on my boats, this is the technique I will use.

Please keep it going.  We want to see more of your imagination at work.

- Tim

Thank you Tim. Even in a dream I could not imagine that my work can be usefull for anybody. Hmm ... it seems I climbed some steps upon learning curve. Or upon stubborn curve :D Sometimes stubborness and abstinacy are the way of learning :default_wallbash: 

Edited by NenadM

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Left side of one life boat - done

More precise, less clean

Why nobody tell me that my fingers had to be absolutely clean? #!?##$*

Ok, there will be some white acrylic over

IMG_20180221_191317.thumb.jpg.fc4c2cac2cdbb5f8361e4a8bcac399fb.jpg

Testing with paper strips a bit wider

IMG_20180221_190927.thumb.jpg.1b522d819883f278f2d15170cc603074.jpg

Less than 1mm in my oppinion can not be visible

IMG_20180221_190430.thumb.jpg.72148d16a0c50faaa6780495492a9aa2.jpg

Pretty satisfied

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

On 2/20/2018 at 2:40 AM, NenadM said:

Thanx Piet for nice words. You know, human brain is ... let`s say ... strange thing. At the same time you force yourself to broke own limits, and then you start thinking - is it worth, considering all another more atractive details on decks, and all future sails and ropes which will visually cover boats almost at all.

Fun, anyhow ...

Thank you Tim. Even in a dream I could not imagine that my work can be usefull for anybody. Hmm ... it seems I climbed some steps upon learning curve. Or upon stubborn curve :D Sometimes stubborness and abstinacy are the way of learning :default_wallbash: 

Stubborn?  Yes!!

But perhaps a better term: Perseverance!

I looked it up in my dictionary and here is what I found:

photo-thumb-4738.jpg

Current Builds:  Cutty Sark

Finished Builds:  Yacht America

Hahaha !!! Google translate is obviously ... Let's say ... on something ... 😂😂😂

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Gorgeous work!

I believe that you and I are building the same sergal version of the Cutty Sark.  I'm ready to begin the shrouds and ratlines, but I don't know what diameter black thread would be most accurate to scale.  I suspect the line included with the kit is way too big.  I looked at 0ther suppliers, but I can't get a handle on the appropriate diameter.  Any assistance?  Thanks  LOU HALIKMAN

14 hours ago, bonedoctor51 said:

Gorgeous work!

I believe that you and I are building the same sergal version of the Cutty Sark.  I'm ready to begin the shrouds and ratlines, but I don't know what diameter black thread would be most accurate to scale.  I suspect the line included with the kit is way too big.  I looked at 0ther suppliers, but I can't get a handle on the appropriate diameter.  Any assistance?  Thanks  LOU HALIKMAN

Helou, LOU amd wellcome to my long and strolling journey. I watch your work and learn.

No, this is not Sergal. I started with Croatian TEHNODIDAKTA plans (parts from kit were too much old and mainly unusable) almost 40 years old, used only for ribs and for making mistakes, and at the very beggining of build, I found Campbell`s plans, resized them to scale of TEHNODIDAKTA plans ... and then ... started with many reconstructions to evaporate mistakes as much is possible, so, almost 100% of my build is scratch building. Some major mistakes just can not be covered, so I decided to overdetail my model,l and to make elements with all details I am able to make in this scale from two reasons - to drawn attention from mistakes, and - it is fun!

In this stage of my build, I have not idea jet about any rope I will use. For now, it is almost sure that I will make my own ropes, and seems that I will look at photos and try to recognize approximate diameter of any singular rope, if it is possible, or smallest possible I can make/bye. E.g. as on next picture you can see:

Final-adjustments-are-mad-006.jpg.80b2c2af215a5a4411b5082d92ff981e.jpg

Diameter of the thinest rope is about 5-7 mm ... in scale 1:100, it means ... 0,05-0,07 mmm ... so if diameter of human hair is 0,02-0,04mm - IT IS IMPOSSIBLE, and even it is possible, IT WILL BE INVISIBLE. Similar question appears on another details as diameter of deadeyes etc etc. Obviously, some approximation are necessary ... I think that answer is somewhere in the arthistic approach - how will line of such a diameter looks like on your model? Just visual testing. I can not see any other answer.

All the best, and keep on good work

Edited by NenadM

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Thank you for the kind words from the master.  I will be posting some new photos of my Cutty shortly.

Rigging lines in my opinion should not be prominent.  Gossamer -- thread-like -- is usually the rule.  Thanks for the photo.  In the past I have used surgical black silk for the shrouds and ratlines (I am an orthopaedic surgeon).  It handles easily, knots securely, and doesn't sag with age.  It is available in bulk quantity non-sterile.  I will try to figure out the diameters from a chart I found on Wikipedia and order a few spools for the project. 

At this point my model is almost completely scratch-built, as the plans from Sergal were grossly inaccurate and the parts supplied were not realistic, mostly over-scale.  Longridge and Underhill have supplied the necessary details.  Your work is amazing.  Lou