Thank you Mark and Bob, as usually, you are right.

Clean surface and worm tip. And a lot of practice.

My soldier iron, when cleaned is worm enough to start, and after 10 min, it gets cold by itself ???? Cleaning it regulary with wet sponge and steel-sponge ( I supopose it is correct name ?) as I see in tutorials, from time to time with sandpaper, and after another 10 minutes, whole story again 

Cheap piece of junk. What to expect from 3€ price ? But this is already told story. How much money, so much music 

Just to mention that aligning this very little pieces ( wire and ring) for soldering somewhere in the air under workbench,  is pretty tricky work, even with my "third hand" helper, and some other jigs I made. "Aligator clips" on "third hand" are too rough and large for little pieces. So this is real gymnastic to adjust whole construction - medical pean with ring in the top, pinched by "aligator clips", not to swing and move, on right altitude and right horizontal angle to match with little piece of wire in little fixed table clamp. And to put magnifier somewhere above where it will be usefull, at the same time as not to interfere. And in all that chaos, at the same time to have enough space to work, little cut pieces of solder wire to be here when you can easily get them with top of needle ... OMG

Really helpful tool for this little works - medical pean. I have one, but  I must bye another, and then to find a way to keep them still in the air 

post-4738-0-59307500-1393227192_thumb.jpg

If somebody ever told me, for ship modelling I must find and have some medical and dentist tools, sure I could think that person is little without itself

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

...  Hothead looks pretty good on that bike ... 

...  from time to time, my poor nerves also look well after him ...

... Spices for everyday life ...

And a spice must flow !!!

Great Serbian children poet, said in humorous way, great truth

" ... beat you children as soon as you notice it starting to resemble you ... "

post-4738-0-83418300-1393239070.jpg

" ...Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run

There's still time to change the road you're on.
     And it makes me wonder ..."
Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

@mspringer

That six books are classical SF literature, but not superb literary achievement. Frank Herbert had some very good ideas, but I think he lost himself somewhere in the middle of writing, so, whole thing is very interesting, but, unfortunately, without great point it could have. Herbert has opened an important and major philosophical sociological and psychological issues of human nature, but he could not, or did not have the power or will to bring them to an great end, and a meaningful completion. At the end of last book you stayed "little" confused. What he want to tell ? Even today after 3-4 passings over all books, I do not know

But some thoughts  and reflections planted and painted here and there... WOW !!! Just keep you in thinking about, during your whole lifetime, and force you to come back to this books from time to time

On the other side, David Lynch`s SF movie "DUNE" from 1984 has also place in history of SF movies. Only watching it in the time surrounding and the circumstances in which was created 1984. movie have some values. Good music costumes and scene , but very bad acting, with on that time great visual effects, without any success in implementation of main and background story and point of first Herbert`s book

"Children of Dune", TV mini series from 2003 - piece of scrap trying to be something more than SF soap, without any sense for Herbert`s thoughts

All in all, along with the music of Led Zeppelin  (quote under picture is from song "Stairway to Heaven"), and some other "spices" they are integral part of my youth, and surely have some influence and meaning in forming my personality and today point of view. And I love metaphors and comparison

Isn`t  building complex ship model something like Stairway to Heaven ? Not verbatim as in lyrics, but generally ?

Per aspera ad astra !!!

Isn`t every marriage and family something which spice contents ? Little everyday things with meaning of life ?

I think so

Happy modelling to all followers and friends

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Factory starts working

After too much philosophizing, let`s finally do it !!!

In addition is Carton/Comic about making stanchions with rings

Explanation is added as edit

As I decided earlier about thickness of wire, next question was - what type of wire. Silver and cooper - to soft. Jewelry steel wire - to hard. What left without going to downtown - wire from thin office clips, hard enough, but still soft enough to allow work with

First move is to rectify wire by hand and pilers for wire as much it is possible

post-4738-0-92525800-1393361586_thumb.jpg

Additional rectify on anvil must follow. I learned this technique during building my house, same technique is used to rectify small parts of reinforcing iron. Every corner/angle/curve leaved on wire can cause problems later. There are very little parts, and curvature on wire on place you do not think about, can be large on place where you do not need them

I have not hammer small enough, so "big" allen key can help. 

post-4738-0-74651800-1393361589_thumb.jpg

Cleaning wire with sandpaper 280. Significant from two reasons: 1 - there will be some soldering; 2 - roughened surface allow better adhesion of colour later

post-4738-0-56063900-1393361591_thumb.jpg

Making rings. Do I mention I like rings ? This is most usual way to make them, I think there is no need for wider explanation, but some notes. As mold, at first, I use little nail little over 1 mm in diameter. Rings were about 2,5-3 mm in external diameter, what means about 1,5-2 mm in internal diameter, so there arise problem how to cut rings from spring. My scissors for wire in comparsion with ring seem like Tyrannosaurus Rex against mosquito, and there is no way to cut anything in with them inside spring

What is solution ? I use one number bigger nail as mold, and make cutting line with Dremell cutting circle. Trace of cutting is little less than 1 mm, so when you connect edges, you got exactly diameter as you use narrow nail 

post-4738-0-93962100-1393361592_thumb.jpg

Dont forget to allign edges to right position in spring, Use pair of fine wire pilers

post-4738-0-38020800-1393361594_thumb.jpg

Define safe place to hold and keep them. Even sneezing can blow them from table. And there is no way to find this little rings on dusty floor . Do not even try. Make more rings than you need. some of them will sure be unworkable

post-4738-0-77324500-1393361595_thumb.jpg

Correct curvature, but do not connect edges !!! If you connect edges in this phase, you go in trouble latter, because then will be very hard to open edges

post-4738-0-59706200-1393361597_thumb.jpg

Correct and form next piece of wire, cutt to dimension, and start making some stanchion around smaller than two nails

Tight edges with pilers until stanchion is still on nail, then take it of and align in all direction. Tighten ring on stanchion from all direction slightly, keeping in mind not to change its diameter and shape. Align again and tight again until you will be satisfied

post-4738-0-57414900-1393361598_thumb.jpg

And here is product

post-4738-0-99032600-1393361599_thumb.jpg

Stanchion is strong enough

post-4738-0-46139700-1393361601_thumb.jpg

No soldering has to be done. But I did it for aesthetic reasons - surface is much better looking with "holes" little "filled up". Also make more than you need. Then you can chose better of them to mount

post-4738-0-44022700-1393361624_thumb.jpg

Carefully and slightly clean soldered part with Dremell ( I must use magnyfier)

post-4738-0-25600000-1393361626_thumb.jpg

Put stanchion in table clamp, and then with medical pean take ring. It is important to take ring in opposite side of the opening. Pean or tweezers that can remain tight are essential for this

Carefully with blade spread hole, only enough to squeeze trough ring on stanchion

post-4738-0-45639500-1393361629_thumb.jpg

Squeeze gently, and do not unhold pean !!! Keep in mind elevation of ring and correct it before mounting

post-4738-0-12111500-1393361631_thumb.jpg

Holding pean with ring in one hand, with other hadn use pilers to close opening slightly. Tight closed ring again. If you want and know how, you can solder connection on ring  ;)  

post-4738-0-57981700-1393361632_thumb.jpg

Finished stanchions put somewhere in safe place to wait for painting

post-4738-0-75871200-1393361633_thumb.jpg

It takes 10-15 min for one stanchion, if they do not fall from workspace. There have to be 52, 26 with rings

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Bindy, I wrote earlier about trouble to find them in shops.

I use the somethimes in office, but very rarely and temporary until put paper in place in folder. Rather use stapler. Stapler ammunition is also interesting material to work with. Strong and soft at the same time, with squared profile less than 0,5 mm, when you need it

One box with 100 pieces of clips last about 3-5 months 

Thx for your interesting

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

I use the small staples for ladder rungs and grab handles.....I keep a small box around.   as for paper clips,  that's a different story.  the admiral bought a big box of them,  for what reason,  I don't know.   I find them lying around......I toss'em out.  I have quite a bit of the brass and steel wire,  but you have plenty of ideas there.   one thing to consider,  is depending on the type of metal,  it will dictate on the type of bonding you can use.   it is easier to solder to softer metals,  than to harder ones,  so harder metals requires more aggressive bonding.

softer metals are OK.....especially if there is no stress that will be put on it,  on the model.  solder will bond much better as well.   I have been fooled many time with brass coated steel wire,  so you have to shop around to be sure your getting the good stuff.  silver would be an expensive metal to use....in my country anyway,  but copper is readily available,  and very easy to straighten out after it's been manipulated.   I have a container of paper clips....I may have an use for them now.......thanks!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Denis ( if I am alowed to use your name)

Generaly, folowing difertent logs on MSW, I noticed next occurance

Mainly, here are two (and a half) basic type of modelers: First group, hardly connected with their kit parts, without idea to sniff another way; Second, so called scratch builders eg. darksiders, who mainly ( or I am wrong?) order finished stuff from online sellers; And from time to time, appear somebody ( mainly real masters) with quite different aproach to whole thing ( makeing own wood, makeing own ropes etc etc). Diferent men enjoy in different ways. Somebody, I think most of all, rather go on easy way, so called in my country "path of elephants". But there is always some curious impatient fool (as me) to discover hot water again, going with head right through a wall instead through the open door, who always wanna see what is out of road and on the top of the hill. Let anybody enjoy in his own way

But, there is a joy in collecting ideas. There is sure something also in laziness to walk around whole city to find something, or lack of time, or lack of money, whatever. There is something also in bad equiped shops with stuff we need

Somebody like chalenges, somebody dont. It is no big dil to order finished dead-eyes or blocks even them are 50€ dor 100 pieces, more or less, and real work in serious rigging is still in front of you. Also you can order ropes, and fittings, and laser cut parts, and ... 

For me, it is much interesting to improvise in way to find solutin. Much more creative. But, as I am some kind of fool, I have no right to judge to other people approach

Ha ... caught in  philosophizing again ...

PS

CaptanSteve started very interesting topic on above point

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4679-the-kit-bashers-guide-to-the-galaxy/#entry134594

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Gotta tell you about the brick.

... You know, the one you bang yourself on the head?... Always there's a build where there's many repetitive parts, and you don't want to go any further. So sometimes you need to use the "brick" to get started again.  A brick for me was the stancions I had a brick with the coppering.  I need a small brick right now for the inner bulwark detailing.

I am obviously speaking metaforcally; Kids, don't use bricks to kickstart the thinking processs..... :D

Stancions look excellent!  Nenad's bricks should be safe    :pirate41:

Bob, feel free to take one of this ... 

post-4738-0-39870200-1393489102_thumb.jpg

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Factory wotks on full steam ... 20 stanchions finished, 6 to go ( ± 10-15 just for case)

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

And a drink to everybody !

Of course, popcorns

Today is littlle thing to celebrate: over 30.000 visits to topic and at the same time promotion in rank

Thanks everybody for support, interesting and likes

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Thanks mspringer

Just boring day in office, no serious work to do. Courts still do not work 3th mounth in line  ...   "successful" judical reform ... all court hearings are canceled, with no idea when they will be sheduled again ...   think I`m goin` home soon to Her Majesty, to shove and hide in shipyard not to think about madness ... more than 50% of my month income cutted three months ...   

I hope to finish stanchions tonight, to paint them over weekend, and to start mounting next week

In mean time thinking about to re-plank fore and aft deck together with main deck with veneer. Have a little fear about that:  If I do not this, all decks maybe wouldnt  look in the same way. I was "ingenious" couple months ago, and have covered all decks with sadoline, which was bad decision. After that, made new fore and aft deck, and covered then again (?) with sadoline. And after that, during cleaning decks and inside bulwarks from trash and mess, I had to sand fore and aft deck, and on some positions there is no sadoline, but between strips ... Now, I have a fear: can I make exactly same veneer strips on main as on the fore and aft, and if I put the same veneer and the same sadoline on new main deck and on old fore and aft, will colour hue be the same ? I do not think so

And I am closer and closer to whole re-planking job on all three decks

Again - week of work and three in correcting mistakes

Really good fun    ...   now have to sniff throught some topics I noticed with decking tips and tricks to see and eventually decide if to use some

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Sorry to hear about the job difficulties...  I work in the oil industry which is very cyclical.  I have seen my share of cutbacks.  But, I am still here and there was a beautiful sunrise this morning to start the day off for me.  Life is good.   ^_^ 

Uh, what is sadoline?  

I've had to redo lots of stuff and decks I never really minded...no complex curves...just laying straight wood in straight lines. 

I thought that was what you were going to do........replank.   get your bulwarks in order before you commit though  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Uh, what is sadoline?  

@mspringer

post-4738-0-71716700-1393622825.jpg

Sadoline is trademark for paints, warnish etc for wood protection. In Serbia term "sadoline" is used as colloquial name for different types of wood finish coverings. It can be based on water or oil, with warnish or without, glossy or mat, transparent more or less, in very different spectre of colours, usually trying to imitate  color of different wellknown natural wood . Mostly used for furniture and construction carpentry with basic use to protect wood. You can see deep in this log how it looks ( when decks were renewed, when bulwark panels in this appearance come to scene. )

I had bad experience with this in ship modeling

@Popeye

Finishing bulwarks is sure "must do" thing before replanking. There is no meaning in other way without new mess, and I do not want this again. Just a bit of thinking forward

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Here are 26 of them with rings, and some more just in case

Tomorrow 26 without ring, and painting

post-4738-0-05022100-1393705791_thumb.jpg

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Painting process start

post-4738-0-83052900-1393789471_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

One general accidentally discovered tip:

It happens to everybody to glue fingers with Superglue, and it seems impossible to clean

Yesterday I had to fix some unglued piece for my Mother-in-law, and, I do not know how, whole little glue box was on my fingers ... fortunately not on carpet. Wait to dry, finish my work, and then - what ?

Solution is easy:

Give your Admiral some home support and help, and wash whole bathroom. Or just wash the dishes 

When you finish, there is no more superglue on your hand, and Admiral is happy. So do you

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

.. I am sorry to read about your work/employment difficulties ... 

Bindy

I am born optimist, and a fighter by nature, I love laughing and having fun, and generally wide around positive vibes, and annoy myself when I catch myself in lamenting. But also I am a human, and burst from time to time, especially if the solution does not depend on me, and I can do anything if I do not want to despise my basic principles and statements ( dont lie, dont cheat, do not birbery, do not be mean evil and vicious, and that mean - do not practice politic !!!), and sometime feel like I am trapped in the wrong world. With my job and my age, there is no point to  leave and to start over somewhere in the world

Take a breath, and swim, when you are already in the water

The point is that I have a solid formal education, a lot of reading, and years of work on myself knowledge and points of view. To add - my profession - by monitoring changes in regulations three decades, with all the experience I have, very nice I can see where the whole thing goes, or where the whole thing DO NOT GO, even must go. Add to this, have an excellent memory, and do not accept collective amnesia state... and life goes and goes and goes ...

Blessed is he who knows nothing 

But 

Devil is never black as seems, and sun will always rise in the morning

Some kind of sun ...

On the other side, in human nature is to think that own problem is the biggest one. Honestly, when I am looking around how other people live and what problems they have, I am shamed of myself when I cry and bother with this 

Thx

Nenad 

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Finaly can say that something is definitely done.

Finished waterways and corrected mess under aft deck

post-4738-0-40691900-1393879839_thumb.jpgpost-4738-0-78992500-1393879875_thumb.jpgpost-4738-0-49959500-1393879908_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Oh, not again !

Afterdeck space is colored WHITE !!!!!!!!!!

I ll shoot my head

I ll execute a  suicide from ambush !!!

post-4738-0-68778000-1393880712.jpg

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Looking on the bright side, you discovered this before the chicken coops and stairways were installed... :P

I really like the looks of your bulwarks;  I would give some thought at where you'll be anchoring your deadeyes before you install the pinrails;  I pre-drilled all holes for the deadeye posts and boat davits/ skid rail posts, as they are right up against my bulwarks.

Great progress my friend, reading your logs helps kick start me into action!

Cheers;

~Bob

Colour of deck is intriguing question. I am near conclusion that colour is something similar to gray+light brown, and  when rain fals and deck is wet, as on picture from opening above, it is something like brown-red warnished wood

As Lou said, no varnish. If varnished, it will be slippery

All pictures from Google I had seen lead to that conclusion

Additional research is required

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build: