Excellent work, Nenad.  I think they look wonderful.  Macros and close ups are NOT our friend.. but on your Cutty, they still look great.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Bravo Nenad!  That looks very nice - you have done a splendid job!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

And here is explanation - tutorial

Star and basement

Considering little dimensions ( 7-8 mm diameter) use only this tool - they are not designed for wood, but with them you can do it more precise

post-4738-0-73339500-1417525990_thumb.jpg

Basement for star is made from wood tile 1,5-2 mm thick, which must be thinned to exact shape

post-4738-0-38582400-1417525988_thumb.jpg

Ring is made from telephony wire, flattened on anvil after making circle. It is not necessary to solder, it is so small, and you can always hide composition place with star arm, if color do not cover composition

Before installing ring, paint hole with red color, later it can be impossible

Stage 6 - use Xacto or similar sharp scalpel, and make scarps, or cuts if you are skilled enough. My experience is that scarps are sufficient in such a scale

Paint careful ring with blue and body with gold

Star is made of galvanized sheet metal part. I tried different materials, and faced with problems how materials behave on such a small dimensions - if to much soft, you can not work with, if to much hard, then it is to much thick

For gluing, use thinned toothpick to apply little drops of CA over ring

post-4738-0-07568800-1417526730_thumb.jpg

After coloring ( all used colors are acrylic), you can correct scarps, and you can use clear matte acrylic varnish

Left and right circle ornament are made on same way

Ropes

All ropes are made by "my" patent, considering I ( still) don`t have machine for this

Basic technique is shown on picture

post-4738-0-13739400-1417527129_thumb.jpg

You have to do some experiments, following direction of twisting in the weaving thread or oposite, combining 1,2,3 ropes together, or making double twisted ... Play a little

I used thread for crocheting, because a less of little hairs, which is made ( twisted) originally from 5 thinner twisted threads

When rope is done, you can twist it more by hands, and cover it before mount by one or two layer of thin gold acrylic to become semi-plastic, easier for work with. After cutting to dimension, "glue" ends with acrylic paint

All another line ornaments are made of different ropes I made

Ah, yes, parts are made by telephony wire, and little "leaves" on top by twisted thin wire - just two hears from regular multicore AC 220V wire

Letters

Point by point, on template I made from printed part of CS plans. After finished, cutted and glued all letters together in one sheet of paper base

post-4738-0-45784300-1417528082_thumb.jpg

I hope I did not miss something to explain 

Oh, yes

Main thing

On such a scale, you first have to "divide" whole ornament in parts, adn to look at "on artistic" way - little points just dissapear caused by small scale, and you must chose and decide what parts are significant to give look and feel of whole thing, and to focus on them

Little tip

There was problem how to manipulate with so small pieces - too small for any tweezer ... remember adhesive force of water ... just lick the top of toothpick, touch desired piece, and you will pick it up 

Another little tip

Use acrylic as first glue layer - also has some adhesive force, enough strong to accept piece you lay on it, and when acrylic color get dry, apply another thin layer to fix it, and varnish over

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

WoW !! I bet that looks just stunning up close !!

I really like the way you used the twisted thin copper wire to make the gold braid. It looks much better than if you had just used painted the ornamentation.

Excellent work, Nenad !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thanks for the tips and tutorials, Nenad.  Very insightful and useful.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you for likes

Quote:

"For just a moment Tyrion Lannister stood tall as a king"

One moment

Let's come back to make some mess

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

the more you've added,  the better it looks  :)     super bit of work there Nenad.   I've never used that method with saliva.......but I have used it to pick up small parts from the floor......when I dropped them  :)    nice tutorial for doing the decorations....it sounds so logical  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

.....but I have used it to pick up small parts from the floor......

When you make little ring of thin Cu wire 4mm diam. It has strange will to dissapear somewhere on work bench without any reason ... also without idea to come back ... ever

When I was happy to see it traveling to the floor, I just let it go ... I give up of even a try to find it ...

Strange ... as smaller the pieces are, their will to escape is stronger ... when I was making decoration piece under Star of India, I made couple wooden pieces 0,5x0,5x4-5 mm ... and sniffed ... just bye bye

Spice of our hobby

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Good work on that Stern decor  Nenad,

it Looks great

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you Nils, you would surely do this much much much better

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

There is a drop of truth in your words David.

Admiral insists for some of my paintings to be hanged on a walls in our home

(better paintings than me ... ;) )

post-4738-0-07702100-1417644178_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-01909400-1417644198_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-39055700-1417644215_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-56014900-1417644232_thumb.jpg

As youth, I won on some local compettitions playing classic guitar music ( Asturias, Requerdos de la Alhambra, HVLobos prelude, JSBach ...), wrote poetry and novels, ....

But I realised early that only few can live from art, and I am not that kind of artist and man, have foots hard connected to earth

And here I am now, missed enginier, missed artist, shipmodeler in trying, happy attorney,I think good husband and father... what to want more ?

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

I think I see a little Dali, and Picasso in the mix.  What is that old saying?  To build ship models and to be an artist madness helps.  I have been called compulsive and insane when I brought a small winch I made to work and then I brought in a miniature stove that I made for a friends daughter.  They wanted to have me committed.  I would also show the pics of Manitowoc as well.  And as far as they were concerned we all needed some therapy. But that is how it goes.

David B 

Just like that, David. Little madness here and there. When I was starting with every new painting, I do not know exactly what I do. Just let paintbrush working until I got some idea about picture I paint. All tell me I am insane ....

Who care ... I spent a good time making my art, and that is only important. If painting dropped out well, and somebody liked it, ok. If not, also ok.

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Verdi and Bach are exactly I need holding paintbrush tonight. (and magnifier ...)

Preliminary final make up starts

post-4738-0-89672000-1417717697_thumb.jpg

And my company

post-4738-0-18320900-1417717726_thumb.jpg

As I wrote before, it seems he ( HM Adrian, The Princ of Persia) likes Verdi. Everytime I listened Requiem, he comes to workshop, and get this position

Strange ...

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

He has good tastes !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

The main reason I do not go in for opera is I do not understand the language. I respect the training and the work that goes into it but is I do not understand the language I rarely listen to it.  Now Bach and Beethoven, all day.

David B 

David, I was in opera once, twice, and concluded - you can not enjoy and feel music if you watch around on decorations and action in scene. Libreto do not interest me. Only music. Listening and thinking of. Not only opera, but those days it will be Bach and Verdy mixed. I put music on my phone, attach little speaker in workshop, and this is it. I tried with headphones, but wires from my ears have strange passion to collect things from workbench

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

With "Aida" next 20 cm of make up in long two hours. Makeup goes well, white rail is straight, also line where white and black color meet. Two rounded "brown" rails will get their final look when I finish inside bulwarks with deadeye and nailholders and main rail, and ... because all has Teak "natural" color

post-4738-0-01793300-1417803676_thumb.jpg

Beast is still in same position listening Verdi

post-4738-0-45342100-1417803751_thumb.jpg

And Admiral catched me to repaint Hotheads room :(

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Nenad,

She is looking more and more like the real thing! I especially like your choice of brass for the sheathing; it looks much more like Muntz Metal than the usual copper.

Lou

Thank you Lou for a good word. I know my skills are not on level I want or need, and idea is to help myself by something I call "artistic" approach. That was exact case in long searching for adequate material and technique for coopering, with main goal to imitate just Muntz color. Same approavh is with deck color (not satidfied jet).

Even my dream is to make perfect model in natural wood look, in this case, when original ship still exist, colors have great role in complet look and feel. If you hit color, it is ok. If you miss color, it is screaming !!!!

Any how, I hope to see soon your progress with Her Majestu. I visit yout web regulary, and I am inpatient !!!

Thank you for your interesting

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

He has good tastes !!

And He sleeps 26 hours per day

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Beautiful work!! both your paintings and the stern decoration!

Always amazed at your work

Thank you for nice words, my friend. But it is a long run in front, and just enough opportunities to make mistake. Thinking about bowsprit input I scare to death ....

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

as we New Englanders say  "don't be scat now!"  to see the effort you've put into her...and where she is now,  is truly amazing.  I think you really need to show that "guy of self doubt"  what the back wall of your closet looks like  ;)     oh,  and be sure to close the door when you leave  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello, Nenad!

Sorry it's been awhile since I checked in;  your paintings are incredible;  AND this explains how you have managed to do such a marvelous job on the stern decoration.

As a non-artist, I certainly appreciate your tutorials;  and I will follow these (with your permission, of course) when I get to that stage.

And again:

Well Done My Friend!!

~Bob

PS:  Cute kitty, btw.. any concerns with him playing in the rigging of the ship when the time comes?

Bob, for now, CS has her wall shelf, no way for cat to go there. One day time will come for Her Majesty to grow ( bowsprit and masts) and then shelf will be small. Considering Hothead is in Novi Sad for next 3-5 years, I am thinking about to move my build from heat-room to attic in his former music studio - cat do not go to attic in any way, particularly to this "room" in attic. Or just to capture his room and lock the door. Maybe in meantime Princess find job and leave (with Her cat). Another free room.

Who knows. A lot of time to that stage.

No working this days, but painting is present. Not artistic... Admiral catches me to repaint and rearrange Hothead's room ... will She ever be peaceful, calm and without ideas which include me?

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

And, Bob, there is no magic. Everybody can do this. You need ONLY four things:

1. precise and steady hand

2. good eyes or magnifier

3. the thinnest paintbrush you can find

4. patience.

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Still in room repainting "art" ... 3 levels down I can hear Her calling me ...

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build: