Hothead made invasion to my workbench, and I was working with him on his models ... interesting ... I just remembered why I call him Hothead ;) ... dead race between us who is smarter, more skillful and more experienced ... two stubborn work table ... don't try this ... he he ... nice time together in our way

In meantime, I stealed some time to finish another (fore) pair of sheaves and inside mooring pipes. No valuable and interesting picture to show.

And next is ....

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I am also a big fan of G. Campbell's  Cutty Sark plans.  with risk of copyright infringement, I could send you some copies,( but I didn't say or type that in my right mind.)

t

Hi, I have searched the net for those plans with no luck :( Sorry to ask, but can I ask you to share those with me?

I have bought a Artesania Latina Cutty Sark 1:84 and although the instructions are not too bad (even with colours these days) I read strong suggestions in the internet to use Campbell's Plans. This is my first model and I do not want to get it wrong.

Thank you

Hi, I have searched the net for those plans with no luck :( Sorry to ask, but can I ask you to share those with me?

I have bought a Artesania Latina Cutty Sark 1:84 and although the instructions are not too bad (even with colours these days) I read strong suggestions in the internet to use Campbell's Plans. This is my first model and I do not want to get it wrong.

Thank you

Hey Ddimma !!!

You can find and download on your own responsibility Internet SERGAL ROMA sheets ( 12 large pages including Campbell 3 sheets) + step by step photo instructions. Free for download, but copyrights ... so I do not intend to put link here

Otherwise, Cutty Sark museum sell Campbell's plans for couple of € price, and send them to you for post service price, depend where you live.

But, I heared there are problems with clear details guaranty, particulary on sheet #3. Friend of mine was in museum couple of months ago in intend to bye sheet #3 for me and to bring it to Belgrade, with my instructions first to see what he bye, with pointed and printed places on sheet to check sharpnes clear of plans, and he CAN NOT see what he want to bye before he pay/order plans for me, and I gave up. Even my friend lives and works in London, they were very unkind, and don't allow him to see scaned plans even on monitor on PC before !?!? Just - bye or not. I do not understand this in any way.

On sheet #3 (rigging) there are a few really little remarks, words, and names drown on sheet, and in Museym they have them scaned in who know how high resolution. So, you can gamble or not

Wish you a good luck, warm wrllcome to CS fleet on MSW, and hardly wait for your building log

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Talking about plans ...

Step backward to check if I miss something in this stage ...

Completly drown in papers & sheets ...
I couldn't ever be a enginieer ... Admiral wqs not happy with this paper exibition - dinning table is reserved for meal and her puzzle madnes ;)

post-4738-0-62513100-1421088994_thumb.jpg

Fortunately, I miss - nothing ( as I can see - for now)

And concluded that next step is ....

Concluded nothing ... jet

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

You need to drop everything and build yourself a, 2, 3 or more drawer, flat file. You can build it with a removable table type top and use that top as a table or whatever, the removable top is so you can stack another set of drawers on top of the existing drawers and then replace the top on the addition if the need arises. Or you could  contine with what seems to have worked well for you.

Don't comment much on your build log but I do watch and learn from it. You are doing a very good job, didn't think you would get this far after seeing how you planked her, boy was I wrong. :cheers:

jud

Thank you, Jud, I was surprised too ,)

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Hey Ddimma !!!

You can find and download on your own responsibility Internet SERGAL ROMA sheets ( 12 large pages including Campbell 3 sheets) + step by step photo instructions. Free for download, but copyrights ... so I do not intend to put link here

Otherwise, Cutty Sark museum sell Campbell's plans for couple of € price, and send them to you for post service price, depend where you live.

But, I heared there are problems with clear details guaranty, particulary on sheet #3. Friend of mine was in museum couple of months ago in intend to bye sheet #3 for me and to bring it to Belgrade, with my instructions first to see what he bye, with pointed and printed places on sheet to check sharpnes clear of plans, and he CAN NOT see what he want to bye before he pay/order plans for me, and I gave up. Even my friend lives and works in London, they were very unkind, and don't allow him to see scaned plans even on monitor on PC before !?!? Just - bye or not. I do not understand this in any way.

On sheet #3 (rigging) there are a few really little remarks, words, and names drown on sheet, and in Museym they have them scaned in who know how high resolution. So, you can gamble or not

Wish you a good luck, warm wrllcome to CS fleet on MSW, and hardly wait for your building log

I have searched and was not able to find anything, are you able to share with me where to get it? You have also said in another post that you had rigging plans in PDF format, is this something you could share? My email is goryacheemilo@hotmail.com. I appreciate in advance your assistance.

Testing ...

First - rail. Seemd little thick ... Wideness is fitted according C-plans, but must think about and make some tests - to get them wider over 0,5-1,0 mm. Not much, but it will cover thick look, and it will not affect whole look and proportions of deck, but it can also give opportunity to arrange pins and deadeyes more neat, and to give better look to rails

Second - deadeye 4mm diameter

post-4738-0-54811700-1421178168_thumb.jpg

I succeded to make it in scale, but not satisfied with "ring" around. More tests have to be done, and more thinking - is it worth to make ALL of them manualy ( as I remember well, over 60 pieces)

Next, pins

post-4738-0-62051100-1421178200_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-35751400-1421178217_thumb.jpg

Test result - half satisfied. I found a way how to make/fabricate them easy (just put toothpick in dremell jaw, and on slow speed stabize rotation by finger, then careful carve with blade, and fit with sandpaper), but I am not satisfied with their look. More tests to be done

And final test - all this temporary "in place"

post-4738-0-20537900-1421178186_thumb.jpg

General conclusion - it seems that in my case, drilling of holes has to be done later, after whole rail will be glued on position. Reason is simple - if I drill holes now according Campbell's plan, here is a big chance to miss their position toward mast and other stuff, because "lost hull and deck lines" catch me again, hiting my improvisations from beginning of building directly to my face. So, artistic fine approach based at first to "look" seemd to be in my first attention line

Hmmm ...

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Nenad,

Looks good, but aren't the belaying pins supposed to be in line or slightly in front (in board) of the deadeyes?

post-606-0-76662000-1421208597_thumb.jpg

I think that if you have the pins as positioned in your photo, you won't be able to belay lines to them very easily.

Could be just the photo

marc

Marc, photo don't show well, left pins are in front. Right pins on photo are mistake, and rather test holes. Problem to resolve is - pinrail is only 5-6mm wide, and it is pretty crowded there with really micro parts. Test pins are less than 1mm thick in diameter, and only 5-6-7mm long ... beside that, all deadeyes ( 4,5 and 6mm in diameter) have to be equial, all in line with some equial space between, turned in same direction ... huh ...

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

so much to think about........I ran into somewhat of a dilemma with this on the Revell Cutty Sark as well.   it's really good to see all this being brought to light  ;)    enjoying your log Nenad  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Marc and Denis

Second attempt with new made 4mm deadeye

post-4738-0-00331900-1421249182_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-10749100-1421249200_thumb.jpg

No !!!!

Nenad must read some nice tutorials on MSW, and must stop discovering hot water

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Figured it might just be the photo, but I wanted to make sure before you went too far.  The scale is tricky.  2 pins between the deadeyes is pretty tight!  Still working that out myself.  I think that i might decrease the size of the pins, but worried that they might be too small in scale.  The problem is that I plan on rigging sails, so I'll need to use those pins.

I was a bit rushed when I posted last.   the Revell kit confuses some.........on the bulwark cap rails,  there are tabs that suggest where the dead eye racks {that's what I'll call them} are to go.......but this is wrong.   I was going to look at the instructions again {I keep all my past build instructions}......but if I remember,  there are tab holes on the pin rails them selves.   this is where they actually go.

I mention this,  because it is in line with your dilemma.   it would be a small sacrifice......but you could make the pin rails a little wider,  and locate the dead eyes close to the bulwark,  and set the belaying pins toward the front of the dead eye arrangement.   this would free up the pins and make rigging a bit easier.  the toggle of 1 - 2 mm would make a big difference,  and wouldn't upset the applecart.  in the modeling medium,  we all strive to build the perfect build.   what we see is measured in inches and feet.........what we build is measured in fraction and mm.......sometimes the tolerance is so tight,  that we must alter the structure a little to make it work.  I hear so many lament that they are off a mm.........that silly mm.........it's time to make that silly mm work in your favor....and not in the favor of mistake.  sorry if it sounds like a rant........it's not.......it's logic  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Just like that, Denis !!!

I am already faced with some milimetars up/down/left/right/back/ etc etc displaced lines of deck/bulwark etc etc, so, it is time for brave move forward with another tests

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Obviosly, every step/foot of rails must be subject of investigation for dummy Nenad

Pins around deadeye at edge of rail? Where I saw this?

C-plans

post-4738-0-37388100-1421349396_thumb.jpg

As I can read this ants, this parts are called " 2 eyeplates for Main upper&lower T....n brace ....." letters on dots I can not read from my copy of plans

post-4738-0-22122200-1421349415_thumb.jpg

So, let us look at some photos made by Swen and Lou

post-4738-0-88361500-1421349224_thumb.png

post-4738-0-22975500-1421349240_thumb.png

post-4738-0-01482400-1421349254_thumb.png

post-4738-0-87122300-1421349268_thumb.png

A ha, now it is clear what has to be done on this position

2 eyeplates arround deadeye, and two another on the inside edge of rail

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

For compare purpose, I first made 2 shots of yesterday attempt.

post-4738-0-04619400-1421349951_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-94360100-1421349971_thumb.jpg

And made a new rail, a bit wider, with thined outer edge to 1mm. Inner edge stays thick 2mm ( you can not see this) to give strenght to construction

It looks more better and visible thicknes of rail is more in scale

post-4738-0-59508000-1421350220_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-19795200-1421350248_thumb.jpg

And here is detail of critical place

post-4738-0-14083800-1421350371_thumb.jpg

Did I mentioned this is still testing ? Nails are from yesterday, deadeye also. Eyeplates are pure fast improvisation

But, I think I found a way

Big question for tomorrow testing is joining two parts of rail

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Nenad,

I was surprised at the quality of your Campbell plans.  My 25 year plans are really sharp.  My 10 year old plans are not as sharp but still not bad.

I'll be happy to check any text that you have questions about.

The text reads: " 2 eyeplates  for Main and Upper Topsail Brace Blocks"

Looking good!

looks good Nenad........nice spacing and the pins are just a bit forward!   that's all you'd really need to do :)   once all the ropes are tied and rigged.........it will never bee seen!   great work my friend  ;)

....and BTW.........your no dummy!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Ok, Denis ... "dummy" Nenad made brave step through fog

Rail - first stage, still not glued and thinned, without holes. Looking for proportion between narrow and wider segments

post-4738-0-94386700-1421433257_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-58507000-1421433282_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-55242100-1421433508_thumb.jpg

Rail is a bit wider than in C-plans, but whole feeling is ok, and I have got comfort space to fill it with little beasts without crowd

And the best : if you look careful, it can be seen that little "pillars" between white panels I made really long ago, finally got their meaning, look and feeling, as on picture above. That was plan when I was making white panel section, but considering mess I made before and after, on that time it seems to me that it was not appropriate to mention that.

post-4738-0-98215200-1421434229_thumb.png

It is so good to feel smelt of some sawdust, and to make something from wood larger than 5mm after long time

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Nice..... I think you've got it.   I agree with Popeye.. you're not a dummy but very logical.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

First two sections on right side finished and mounted. Aft deadeye hole will be drilled later, to get line with holes on aft-deck

post-4738-0-85807500-1421522156_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-59385000-1421522174_thumb.jpg

I decided to step of C-plans about position od deadeye line, and to move it closer to the panel. Considering pictures, this is their today position. With this decision I got more space for them, and possibility to neat look of that jungle od ants and another beasts which have to be placed there

Little sweet detail for end. I just couldn't resist to play a bit

post-4738-0-73676500-1421522432_thumb.jpg

It is possible that back (right on picture) ring has to be moved more forward, we'll see when time for back line of deadeyes come

post-4738-0-58273800-1421522494_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Just to remember where I was ...

post-4738-0-30060000-1421530348_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Doing my researching about details which interests me, main resource is, of course, internet. Today I was looking for some detail on rail shown on C-plan which I can not find on photos. Then I started with youtube videos made by visitors, and - bingo !!! But, how to transfer it on picture?

Think think think ....

And idea comes

During play on phone on desired place, pause clip, and make screenshot !!! Android 4 comes with this feature, if not, there are some apps on Gstore with this function

And here are results:

post-4738-0-36223300-1421584964_thumb.png

post-4738-0-45251900-1421585001_thumb.png

Just what I am looking for my planned today work

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Right side finished. Still need some triming (?) and correcting when glue dried

post-4738-0-72576000-1421607925_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-12300800-1421607943_thumb.jpg

Another little sweet detail. Why I didn't make this for aft side? Why all the generals are smart after battle?

post-4738-0-75564100-1421607962_thumb.jpg

There are real chances for ending of attorney strike next week. We'll see ... It will be great victory for rule of law, and a great shame for actual government ... four months whole judicial system was stopped at all, only because Constitution Act for people in lead political party does mean - nothing ... 21th century ... civilized world ... and islands still in middle age ...

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

"You can not play with your ship tonight. You must play with me !"

post-4738-0-82208900-1421702348_thumb.jpg

Obviously, I am not master of my time ...q

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Works continues on left side

post-4738-0-91530500-1421781254_thumb.jpg

Bob, your idea about hiden suppirtin molding is briliant and neccessary for strongnes of rail

post-4738-0-03926200-1421781273_thumb.jpg

And again nice detail

post-4738-0-83297200-1421781294_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-65845200-1421781488_thumb.jpg

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build: