Nenad.  The grating is a nice touch.  There is also one by the ship's wheel to keep the deck from wearing down.  Sometimes they are also in front of the companion ways.

Izzy, nice photo.  It's my understanding that it is similar to how the Cutty operates.  According to Longridge, the Cutty has a turned up angle on the tumbler rod that holds the cat stopper chain. When the tumbler is rotated the chain slides of the bent portion of the tumbler.

As to the scale and cleats.  I'm right there with you.  I was drilling a line of holes for my fairleads with  #77 size holes in a piece of walnut with a  1/64" x 1/64"  cross section by hand.  Crazy. :angry:   No one will ever see something that small or care.  I ended up switching to 1/32 X 1/32 to make my life easier and no one will ever know that they are off scale 1/64 of an inch.  Also finally broke down and purchased an x-y table for the drill.  That should help as well! ;)

Marc

Edited by keelhauled

Little pillars/ribs under foredeck rail, on both sides. Hell's work, but it worth any second. Wholr look of foredeck rises up

post-4738-0-74837900-1437327303_thumb.jpg

And then, front pinrail, and ... pins

Pinrail was not problem, but pins were, particulary considering they has to be equial to pins on main deck ( 1000 of them).

So I must think about massproduction of pins

In mean time, fortunaty, I remembered that there are cleats under pinrail, and that will be imposible to put them when pinrail gets in its place. So, three cleats/eye ... fixed and glued at the root of bowsprit. Not a big deal, them were prepared earlier during bowsprit works

Pin first attack was by 1mm brass wire, but this wire is so thick, and whole structure doesn't look well - crowded and too much massive

Then I tried with 0,5mm brass wire, and isolation from Cu telephon wire 0,5mm (my favorite, before I discover brass wire 0,5 mm)

post-4738-0-45238000-1437327635_thumb.jpg

After painting

post-4738-0-07215600-1437327718_thumb.jpg

And on place

Ipost-4738-0-04063300-1437327790_thumb.jpg

Hmmm, maybe it can be better

post-4738-0-03543000-1437327811_thumb.jpg

And new feel and look of foredeck

post-4738-0-72698200-1437328045_thumb.jpg

Conclusion : pinrail has to be little thinner, and pins have to be little longer

That's all for today, at 39℃ in shade

I earned my cold beer ... bear ... beer ... whatever

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Wow.. impressive work and you did earn your beer.  I'm not sure the bear would be tasty or friendly unless he got a beer also.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice work Nenad! At 39 C, it's too hot to do anything except maybe raising your arm up to mouth level with a beer in it!  :P  That's even too hot for any self-respecting bear.  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Little pause ( without bear  :cheers: ) but with wine ( red domestic from Adriatic sea !!!)

Preparing for aft deck house, playing and learning Adobe Ilustrator

This will be a chalenge !!!

post-4738-0-02897800-1437423761_thumb.jpg

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Great work. Love the details. If you need any help with adobe illustrate I did 5 years at uni learning Al the suite of apps. As a graphic designer. So I'm more than happy to advise/help in any way.

Ongoing builds,

SCutty Sark Revell 1/350 (Mini Nannie)

Cutty Sark Airfix 1/130 (Big Sis)

Will (Everard) Billings 1/65 but with wooden bottom, because I can

Thanks Izzy for your kind offer, but I have more simple and comfortable solution.

Hothead, my son is architect engineer and he is more than a familiar, and very very very very good with all kind of raster,vector 3D software of any kind, and, being my son, he MUST have ALL of them on his laptop. During his summer vacation he is home, and few days ago he occupied my late Admiral`s work desk in office, so when I am on my PC, he is mainly sitting opposite to me. I also have very solid computer education and knowledge - considering kind of my job ;) , so there mainly are not problems

In picture on my last post you can see what is my basic need, which means very basic and low level usage of this monster programs ( mainly draw simple cicrcle or poligon and transform it and move it`s points where I want) .

Mainly, this job can be done even with MSWord, but clumsy, and AI or CDraw as vector programs has nice opportunity to work with layers, also keep scale of inserted raster crop from *.pdf C-plans I have

Thanks anyway

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Gratings, attempt No 1

post-4738-0-04724800-1437509319_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-76709500-1437509617_thumb.jpg

Too thick and large

Can you do it better , Nenad?

@$#$##  talking with myself again

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

nenad this is the palette right ? i don t think you have to make them but why not

Yes, palette. There is a palette on some photos, an that will be nice detail in implementation of my over detailing strategy to cover mess and mistakes I made

nice grating.  I'm looking forward to version 2.  I know you, you'll have an updated version tomorrow :D

I hope too, Marc

And one interesting point above aft-deck house - on C-plans - only one entrance on the fore side. Today , two entrances.

Has anybody clear picture of fore entrance to aft-deck house ? Are buckets all along edge, or they are reduced with entrance ?

On internet I found only segmented photos, and can not clear this point

Here is situation on C-plans

post-4738-0-52126300-1437558527_thumb.jpg

And in present stage

post-4738-0-21012600-1437558624.jpg

Also, entrance seems to be promoted a while to front from the line of fore wall of aft deck house

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

On the left - first attempt, on the right - new attempt

Better, Marc?

post-4738-0-74586200-1437584098_thumb.jpg

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Those pallets look fine Nenad.  As someone who used to haul pallets of material on my truck, yours look better than most of the ones I've seen.  ;)

Cheers 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

grating looks great!

I built the aft deck house with only one entrance as in campbell's plans

The painting is supposed to have been painted for Willis around the time of her launch.  It has a clear shot of the doors, and yes it shows that the buckets and rail continue in front of the door.  Hard to see, but they are there as in Campbell's plans  I have a 1:1 print that I purchased twenty years ago.  If you need that area larger, let me know and I'll take a photo.  The area is dark, but you can see the doors.

The photo is during Woodget's time and has the single entrance.   Also notice the buckets! I know Woodget took another photo of the aft hatch with the deck house in the back. I'll look for it.

The photos are fairly large so you can zoom in.

Marc

post-606-0-56559500-1437601230_thumb.jpg

post-606-0-26854300-1437601283_thumb.jpg

Edited by keelhauled

Nenad, 

I just realized that the doors are open in Woodget's photo.  At least you can see the height of the opening.  The painting has the doors closed.

There are two half width doors.  If you need me to shoot a photo let me know.

I looked for the other photo and couldn't find it.  I included one similar, but it has the new entrance. Notice the difference in height of the entrance between this photo and the Woodget photo in the last post.

Just a side note

The forward hatch to the crew accomodations also had two half doors in the same manner (and a booby hatch since it was so short).  Note that both the forward hatch and the aft booby hatch were only lashed and easily removed (they used the aft hatch to load tea, just like the hatches in the middle.  I included a photo of the aft hatch removed

post-606-0-86261500-1437602955_thumb.jpg

Note that although the photo is old it has the modern entrance to the aft deck house

When she was the Fierra you can see photos of the forward accommodation hatch removed with just a flat cover.

Edited by keelhauled

Marc, as you carefull look at the photo with Queen, and englare space over Her head, you can notice shadow of round rail which lead to conclusion that entrance is promoted just to the rail.

post-4738-0-26865400-1437719603.jpgq

And now,look at the next picture, particulary position of rail toward buckets

post-4738-0-49112000-1437719124_thumb.jpg

I am not shure that unbroken line of buckets shown on C-plans is not separatwd by entrance

Also you can notice intersection shape change of that rail ????

Hmm ... something to think/rethink about during my one week vacation next week ... with one more "hmm" question how to reproduce same color on deckhouse's roof planking as I made mixing colors for decks ... what I was thinking - again

My plane is to make short Shumadia Tour and to visit three mountines in Serbia and my three friends who have three cabins deep in the woods of Rajac, Zlatibor and Rudnik mountine, in 200km circle from Belgrade. Kids don't want to go with me (booring thei said), so I will let them enjoy in 39℃ in shade, and I will enjoy in traveling, wood walking and chating with friends with/without beer/bear or wine

I hope to find my tools well when I come back

So, today is last day in office, and,I hope during weekend to make some progress on fore deck

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Have a great vacation with your friends Nenad. Have plenty of beer while you're walking through the woods, but keep your eyes toward the ground.  Bears do crap in the woods.  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

have a great time Nenad.......so right about the young ones.   I lived in a small town {country setting} when I was a lad........told them one time about going down to the swimming hole to take a dip.   needless to say they were stunned........I saw it as a sign of the times,  when they asked me if it was polluted?!?!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Have fun and be safe, Nenad.  Hmm..  sometimes one can not have fun and be safe...   Ok.. have fun and I hope it's a great trip.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Definite version. A bit smaller and more thin

post-4738-0-39855900-1437768639_thumb.jpg

Two old at left

post-4738-0-27358700-1437768703_thumb.jpg

Temporary on place

post-4738-0-30115400-1437768784_thumb.jpg

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Thanks dear friends for good words and wishes. If I find there something interesting except full nirvana, I'll post about

Still two days to play in shipyard

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Looking great! each new grating  is better than the last!

Originally the doors didn't extend past the aft deck house.  So the deck between the house and the rail was essentially the same across the entire front of the deck house just as in Campbell's plans.  the rail was continuous and the fire buckets were consistent across.

You are correct about the picture of the Queen. When they changed the entrance, they extended it right up to the rail and cut off the lower platform that held the buckets in front of the entrance.  The shape of the intersection between sections of the rail is called a scarph joint.  It would be a nice detail to add.  I wished that I had done these types of joints instead of the angled joints that I did at the time.  Live and learn.  I'll do it on the Victory when I finally get to her.

Enjoy your vacation!!

Edited by keelhauled

Hi Nenad,

Great work on your CS and very much enjoying watching all your detail work come together.  Could you post a wider picture when you have time so we can see them all together?

Enjoy the mountains...they are my favorite place to be no matter what the season.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Hi Nenad,

I'm in the process of rebuilding the entrance to the aft deck house.  Here are a couple of photos of mine.  I thought they might help to illustrate what I was trying to explain.

Excuse the entrance roof I'm still working on it.

Marc

post-606-0-61138300-1437792456_thumb.jpg

post-606-0-84244400-1437792457_thumb.jpg

Edited by keelhauled

Uh uh uh !!!! Marvelous work in details, lead me to the further devil's road

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

You are too kind!  But I'm glad to drive you further down the devil's details!

Next I'll make the hatch that covers the top of the entrance.  It slides back so that the crew don't hit their heads.