your suppose to make it so no  one can see under there!  :D  :D   my rule of thumb.......anyway.   once the deck is fully populated,  you'll never see under there......I've tried on my builds....it's an eye strain to be sure.   a whisk of fresh paint usually hides it well. ;)   nice progress!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nenad,

I would think that the rear entrance would have to be about the same as the front.  The back entrance is "new"?  I know very little about the CS to answer correctly.  I'm just surprised there's no pictures of this.  I Googled but didn't see anything that would help.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nenad,

I would think that the rear entrance would have to be about the same as the front.  The back entrance is "new"?  I know very little about the CS to answer correctly.  I'm just surprised there's no pictures of this.  I Googled but didn't see anything that would help.

Thank you for your input, Mark

I mean "new" comparing to state presented in C-plans

I think that entrances are not the same, and that the front entrance is higher. Simply reason. Front entrance have two doors ( left and right) and entering to any door , you are still on deck platform, and stairs comes later. It make no sense to step sideways to stairs immediately when you step through the door. So, when you enter and you are still on platform, entrance must have height for human body. On the other side, you can see on photos, at rear entrance, you directly step to stairs to go down

post-4738-0-97950400-1440145452.jpg

post-4738-0-81118600-1440145455_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-45395600-1440145456.jpg

Also top angles of side decorative moldings are not same shape, which also points to different height

post-4738-0-54116600-1440144451_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-16646800-1440144456_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-64683700-1440144456.jpg

post-4738-0-52971500-1440145457_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

" ... Chim chim-in-ey, chim chim-in-ey , Chim chim cher-ee! ..."

One more nice detail, discovered during analyze of photos I colected

Now you see it !!!!

post-4738-0-93328200-1440152323_thumb.jpg

Now you don`t  !!!!

post-4738-0-52798100-1440152322_thumb.jpg

Also this disappeared !!!

post-4738-0-10607300-1440152514_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

For a "Scratch" Build, something that I would be very maybe afraid of, your work is awesome chap!!

Thx for nice word, Harry

Nothing to be afraid of. Anyway even as a kit builder, you have to cut, fit and adjust parts, sometimes to replace, and there is not a big step to scratch. Also more interesting - for me :);)

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Very glad to see you again, Bob. I hope you cleared away life issues around you, and to see your post and progress soon !!!!

You are quite right. interesting question is ( considering my "artistic" approach) to add or not chimney etc etc. We`ll see when time comes

For now, dead-eye analytic is over, I chose where to put 4mm and where 3mm dead eyes, and mass-production can start

post-4738-0-11034800-1440175437_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Very nice Nenad,

I like that deadeye Chart, giving the overview of what sizes and quantities go where ?

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks Nils. I am dummy and can not remember, so I have to make a note.

Mass production starts with (4+2) x 2 =12 dead eyes 4mm dia for aft deck row which go directly to aft deck, without down structure

This is phase No 1. - shape/redril holes, sand a bit, mount Cu telephony wire, solder ends, center hole position

Follow shapeing , fiting, glueing painting and cementing

post-4738-0-03617800-1440183229_thumb.jpgpost-4738-0-02322300-1440183533_thumb.jpg

This will be more interesting with smaller ones tomorrow. Now I go to fright myself with Jurassic Park 1 , 125th time watching :)

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Looking good.

Just make sure to plan for threading the lanyards.

Once the deadeyes are installed, there is a railing in front of the holes.. :-/

Make sure you can get to them. I had to rip a couple of mine out and redo because there was not enough room to work.

I found it easier to thread the lanyards to the top deadeye without tightening before installing.

(Most of them, I had to thread in place with masts and shrouds in the way, and I found that much harder)

/Peter

Hi Nenad,

The alterations to the aft deck house were done under  the Portuguese when she was owned by J. Ferreira and Co. Longridge's book has her with this configuration. Her original front was removed and replaced with a taller entrance with doors on both sides.  Also the rear entrance was added.  I'm not suprised that they didn't restrore the original entrance.  It wouldn't have been good for visitors - only one entrance/exit and not very tall, you would have had to keep the booby hatch portion open so people wouldn't hit their heads and I'm sure that it wasn't as water tight during rain as the solid top with side doors.

My Mantua model plans have the current hatches for the aft deck house.

Here are images from the plans

post-606-0-88611300-1440220285_thumb.jpg

post-606-0-31637600-1440220295_thumb.jpg

Using known measurements versus the plan and using ratios, it appears that the height of the forward structure from deck to the top is approximately 6 - 6.5 feet high and approximately 3 - 3.5 feet wide.  The aft structure is approximately 5 - 5.5 feet high from deck to top and approximately 2.5 feet wide.

I'll check Longridge's book and see if he provides a better description of dimensions

Hope this helps

Marc

Edited by keelhauled

" ... Chim chim-in-ey, chim chim-in-ey , Chim chim cher-ee! ..."

One more nice detail, discovered during analyze of photos I colected

Now you see it !!!!

attachicon.gifhere.JPG

Now you don`t  !!!!

attachicon.gifwhere.JPG

Also this disappeared !!!

attachicon.gifsee me.JPG  

That chimney moves around some!  When it does appear in your photo it isn't in the same position as it is in woodget's photo and campbell's plans!

Isn't the part on the deck in the see me photo the bottom of the poop rail where the buckets fit.  If so they must have removed it and had it just sitting there while they were working -maybe?

Nenad,

Longridge provides more info.

The forward companion way is 3 feet 9 inches wide and 6 feet 6 inches high.  It extends aft for 4 feet 6 inches.

I can't find where he provides measurements for the aft companion way.   

Edited by keelhauled

Very usefull informations Marc. Thank you very much!!! I'll use them when I return to AI from workshop

A bit of progress

Whole down line of dead eyes for aft deck made.

post-4738-0-72547200-1440272685_thumb.jpg

Interesting. With redrilling holes, sanding, shapeing and twisting Cu wire and soldering as neccessary steps per piece, it goes faster than I hope

In mean time, life just do not know what is enough. My mother in law (80) gets seriously ill.( probably cancer, tests are running jet). She lost his husband two years ago, my late Admiral was her only child, and her death two months ago, hits old lady very hard. I left as her son in law, and as I very respect and love old lady, I must and want to take care of her until the end. And kids are here. Fortunately, her flat is 5 min of slow walking from our house. Begining of court seasson at september 1st and this situation may slow down my work on CS

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Nice deadeyes, Nenad.    Life happens and gets in the way of the shipbuilding.  And that is probably the way it should be.  The "not good" part is the sadness that happens.  Take care of yourself also.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Nenad

I'm sorry to hear that once again, you and your family are facing challenging times. Life is not fair at the best of times, and you have certainly been hit hard.

Please take care and be comforted in the knowledge that your MSW friends are thinking of you.

Patrick

All my hopes for a quick and easy recovery for your Mother-In-Law Nenad.  Family always comes first, and "Her Majesty" will be there waiting. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Sorry to hear about your mother in law.   I'm glad that your mother in law has you to help take care of her.  I've been very fortunate to have loved ones help me when I needed it and I'm glad when I can help my family when they need me.  It's just one of the wonderful aspects of having a family.

As you take care of everyone else, don't forget to take care of yourself.  You've had a hard year and need to stay healthy as well. Make sure you take time to lower your stress.

All the best to you and your family!

By the way the work on the ship looks great!

Marc

Hi Nenad

As what the people have said above, let us all hope your mother in law recovers soon.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Nice work on your CS.

Denis.

Adding my thoughts and best wishes for a full recovery for your mother in law.

Your CS looks wonderful and will wait patiently.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Hello my friend, let me add my best wishes for your dear mother in law and hope that she'll recover soon.  You too must take care of yourself and reduce the stress level your in at this time.  

All the best from Piet, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Keep your head up and keep a smile on your face, my Friend.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

It is really wonderful to have all of you here and around, particularly when hard times are here to come

Dead-eyes for aft deck painted and ready to mount

Hell work to paint Cu wire around in such a scale

post-4738-0-20585100-1440360129_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-66478400-1440360154_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

You are a very special person Nenad. Life seems to be testing your strength these days and you are clearly standing strong. We all appreciate your friendship.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

your doing some great progress on her Majesty :) ........even under the saddest of circumstances.  take care my friend....I'm thinking of you  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch