That deck-house will look so good when it is fitted in place !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Nenad, my friend, your work on the panels being great by any standard.... Your unflappable spirit clearly exceeds all reasonable standards. Way to go Nenad!

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Looks great!
You mentioned you are adjusting deck camber when installing them,  -just don't forget the roof camber! :-)

Are you doing both deck houses at the same time?
(Looking at mine, it's pretty obvious that they were made at different times as the work finish and the colour hues don't quite match! :-( )

/Peter

Hi Peter

All three houses will be made one after another, exactly by reason to have same color. All will be made with same method and from same material, and painted at the same time

Tonight is playing time with roof. Not bad, but I missed proportions of roof mouldings, and have to redo. This is a piece which i very visible in first plan

Here are correct proportions

post-4738-0-19171400-1444127753.jpg

And here is what I did

post-4738-0-50766900-1444073640_thumb.png

post-4738-0-09338600-1444073202_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-29862100-1444073233_thumb.jpg

BTW
"Sucuri" could recognize members, and allow them to post from cellphone !!!!

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

WOW!!  A double WOW!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I "liked it" when I first saw it.  But I just had to come back for another look at the deckhouse...  Wonderful!!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks, but ...

Still I am not satisfied. Thinking and rethinking again ... Panels do not meet each other weel, I do not like how connections look now. Beside that, one longitudinal panel twisted a bit, and it is impossible to get clear corner in that circumstances. Also, I rushed with down moulding before time, and result is - different wide mouldings meet at corner. Also forgot moulding at the top of each panel ( not in C-pland, but present on pictures)

So, I'll remake house on another way: first, make solid "box" for all three houses, fit with deck curvature, then make and fit roofs, and at the end, make relief and add mouldings, and then apply paint. Considering I resolved relief technique, I'll make relief from mahogany veneer prepared with acrylic on my way

Bad news - lost hours again
Good news - I learned something new ( relief technique, line of moves, etc) and improved my miserable skils a bit. Also good news is that I have oportunity to make panel's elements I lost, and to apply mirror efect to left and right side of houses

Happy playing Nenad, you are not in any hurry

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I'm smiling Nenad.  You learned something and are not in a hurry and admit it. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I am smiling too, Mark. As I swallowed whole lemmon at once

So, the new house with hardening structure, angles are OK, dimensions are OK

post-4738-0-86562800-1444245856_thumb.jpg

And anybody who was in doctor's hands can recognize material for house's sides.

post-4738-0-24689300-1444245927_thumb.jpg

Princess is a doctor, so ... Resources are everywhere arround us, just "open your eyes and see"

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Nenad, I have built entire ships out of those basswood tongue depressors. Excellent material if you can't get boxwood. Not a lot of difference. You can easily cut them into very narrow strips to build your panels, moldings, etc. if you use wood glue and keep it clean, it also takes staining very well.

Just jeep on having fun. You're doing a great job.

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Basswood is very interesting material for modeling, if you need soft, and elastic easy to cut and sand piece, and when wood texture is not significant. Except hull (plywood) first planking layer (balsa), veneer ( planking)  and some details, almost all I made from basswood

We can talk about woods we use next 15-150 years, and I think here on MSW is separate topic dedicated to woods. One of my dreams is to make perfect nice and extremely complicated model from different kind of natural woods, and this will obviously wait to my next life considering my slow progress, and a long way in front of me with CS

Is this boxwood ? Translators I use and Big brother Google point to that ?

post-4738-0-74460100-1444283634.jpg

Hmmm ... hard, almost impossible to find except if you have it in your own yard. Very very slow growing, and you must have own cutting machine. I have little bush in yard 10-15 years old only 50cm dia, but do not like idea to cut it. Ee tried to plant different type of "live fence" but it just do not work, so there is classic wire net fence, filled with bunch of plants climbing on and falling down from fence

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

I just had a large boxwood shrub die on me.  Can't figure out why.  Just turned brown over a week period while I was gone.  I never though of trying to mill the wood.  Doesn't seem to have many straight pieces or branches that are wide enough to do much.  Maybe when I cut it down I'll try to see if there is anything that can be used.

Nenad, I wouldn't cut down a healthy shrub.  As you said, they take forever to grow.  

Is there a boxwood tree?  Surely people are using wood from the shrub.

Marc

I think the "original" boxwood that everyone craves is the English and that's a shrub-like plant. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I think the "original" boxwood that everyone craves is the English and that's a shrub-like plant. 

Box wood grows like a tree also, may be small but I remember I had a boxwood ruler it was a common wood that they used back in the UK in the good old times, every tradesman worth his salt had a boxwood ruler or other tools made from it.

Denis.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8077-boxwood/#entry239667

Nice discusion about boxwood

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

New skeleton for all deck houses done

post-4738-0-34998200-1444416217_thumb.jpgpost-4738-0-34151600-1444416268_thumb.jpg

And old deck house turned in a Jewelry box

post-4738-0-59131800-1444416351_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-35955600-1444416384_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Could it be that this Japanise Boxwood is the source for boxwood lumber? Just looking at the nice big fat trunk and branches.

post-11777-0-95012000-1444422766_thumb.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

Hmmm

It is not booring in my home.

Autumn works in preparing for start of heating season

post-4738-0-43390200-1444584930_thumb.jpg

Old Lady have to go to hospital, bacteria in blood and ... but She don't want to go. If go, she will probably die there. To stay, we can help her until some moment when antibiotics will stop working. So, antibiotics can stabilize her for a while, and after .... Getting weaker from day to day

At the evening, all houses are veneered, and paneling surfaces prepared for next stage with putty

post-4738-0-31392700-1444584860_thumb.jpg

And then paneling starts from beginning. Base is from prepared mahogany veneer, relief will be from another. I can not cut clear strips 0,5 mm wide from mahogany, and chose another I have. It does not matter, anyway all will be sanded and painted

post-4738-0-51298600-1444584900_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Hi Nenad,

The 'Like" of course is for some support as I am very sorry to hear your mother in law is unwell once again...will hope and pray the antibiotics help.

Love your CS cabin build work, looking really good.  

As for the firewood...yep it is that time of year here as well..just glad my wood is also split and stacked given fall is now in full swing!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Edited by UpstateNY

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

I'm with Nigel.. the "like" is for support and I too hope the antibiotics help.   

My firewood is in place as I order in late May/early June and it sits in the sun all summer and dries. 

Nice work on the deckhouses....  I hope all things work out for the better with you and your mother-in-law.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

From me as well - all the best wishes for your mother in law and hope the antibiotics help.  Keeps trong my friend.

Work on the deckhouses are progressing quite well, experience helps with the redo  ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

New deck houses are looking good.  that is some serious bracing you have going on!

All the best for your Mother-in-Law!