As one bogged down in Life.. it is always getting in the way....  I know that one well, Nenad.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The Old lady has got stomach pains, and her energy reduced by 20%, which causes need for continuous care. So She is in local old man care and health center from yesterday, where she has 24/7 care by nurses and doctors. Center is 600m from my house which makes things a bit easier. Hell week passed. It helps a lot She has positive attitude to that solution all Her life. Princes and My work starting suffer, and this was necessary solution 

After detail cleaning of house (cca 200m2), and after doing periodical cleaning service of home heating system, which can not be done with ill and old person in home, I found some time to continue with experimenting ... Everybody who lives in house sometimes faced with some "filling a big hole" issue, and applied different technique for it ... In my life I did it many times, on walls, furniture repairing etc etc, so I started with filling my "fake space between ribs" I have made earlier, with pieces of toothpick and BBQ nails, covered with white glue. Idea is, when this harden, to drill 3-5 mm hole through, and to put in and glue rounded molding of hard wood. On that way forces on connecting point will spread from soft wood on planks. Drawing and photos tomorrow, so tired now

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I'm sorry to hear about her also, Nenad.  I'm glad for you this "hell week" is over.  I hope there won't be another for a long time to come.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nenad your stand is perfect. I always like to see people put their own ideas and spins on a project. Great job.

Greg H.

Hello Greg and well come. There is a hidden idea inside  which will be exposed later

Hi Nenad

Sorry to hear that last week was hell. All the best for your mother in law's health.

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks Patrick. I knew that this epilogue will come, only do not know when 

I'm sorry to hear about her also, Nenad.  I'm glad for you this "hell week" is over.  I hope there won't be another for a long time to come.

Thanks Mark, I hope too

And here is main idea

post-4738-0-37187200-1453637652_thumb.jpg

Idea is to spread and wide force from point where a screw go through planks to a rib and hull

Wooden pieces are of bamboo and linden (? - toothpicks), and white glue keep them very strong ( large size of glued surface with many small pieces)

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

That should work Nenad.  It looks similar to what my dentist did - filling an empty spot on my jaw with bone material to anchor an implant.  Hey, I'm chewing on nuts with no problem.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hole ~4mm drilled and filled with white glue, then testing anchor ~4mm made from rounded molding turned in hole

post-4738-0-72173600-1453834602_thumb.jpg

When glue started to dry, testing screw get in

post-4738-0-55268100-1453834732_thumb.jpg

Have to wait until tomorrow for glue to dry , and to apply final weight and force test over night

Testing shows that anchor must have larger dia (~5mm), and that whole structure get more stronger

Yes, Piet, it seems that this will work. Send my regards to your dentist

In mean time, I discovered that SOMEBODY get my precise measuring tool and sent it to hell ... Enough work for today, I'm going upstears to nurse ill Princess. Nothing serious, stomach flue, but Ill doctor? Strange...

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Final testing ... A bit overloading ... If it holds tonight, no more testing needed

post-4738-0-67240300-1453922261_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-19952400-1453922289_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-24802500-1453922341_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

If that holds overnight, the ship will never, ever come off the stand.  I like the scientific approach also.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I think the screw will be ok, I'm more worried about the pipe it is all hanging on :)  :)  :)  :D

Thank you for nice words to everybody

Proud to announce that "scientific" experiment is a success ! Nothing moves, every single plank  (and a pipe :P  of course ) is on it`s place

So, Nenad , found some courage, and bravely start drilling real holes in hull !!!

:10_1_10:  :10_1_10:  :10_1_10:

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Happy to hear experiment was a success and the plumbing is still intact :) . Nice work you are doing

Forward ...

Princess recovered and go to down-town, and I steal some time from office for myself 

First I take out Hotheads bike under stairs in garage from it`s winter house, to get approach to old pieces of plywood which remains from my furniture carpenter works, to find adequate piece for temporary stand .. this beast has 175 kg ... Dust, dust, dust ... I must clean that space ... one day ...

I have a habit to cannibalize and keep every piece of shackle from old furniture, and have found in my man cave a piece just what I needed to realize my idea 

post-4738-0-46157300-1454006022_thumb.jpg

Drilling a hole in a throne ...

post-4738-0-78699600-1454006006_thumb.jpg

and mount throne on temporary stand

post-4738-0-97576600-1454005972_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-66397500-1454005954_thumb.jpg

At this stage, my idea with a "box" in stand becomes clear. Box fuse will hide screws, and at the same time, I shall be able one day to remove throne from temporary stand, and to mount it on final place without any damage. Connection is very firm

After that, I continued with drilling holes in upper arms of throne, to use that holes for marking place where to drill in hull

Two ideas arises here

one - to use screw

another - to use BBQ bamboo

post-4738-0-97198900-1454006043_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-91589000-1454006388_thumb.jpg

Something to think about during filling hull spaces 

If I use bamboo, connection will be a bit more elastic, and I can level outer surface of arm to zero, and paint it a bit just not to be visible. This kind of connection is a bit weaker, which can be better. Or not

If I use screw, I must wide inlet to hide head of screw, which could get a bit weak arm, But connection will be stronger. and less elastic. Or not

Hmmm

Always there is something to think about

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Hull drilling starts. Wish me luck

post-4738-0-88317100-1454012004_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed Nedad.  I have no doubt for the final success of CS's throne.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

me too Nenad.......you'll do well in getting her hunkered down.  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Feel the taste of white glue!

Filling process started. Layer of pieces of BBQ strips, layer of white glue, next hole, repeat, next hole ....

Deep holes, as black holes, swallow everything I put inside, so testing piece which I use to spread pieces and check progress did not show anything going forward

Patience, Nenad, patience

post-4738-0-31363000-1454095013_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

@#$@#$ first layet of glue do not dry and harden whole two days..... @$@$#$ not enough air? Bad glue? Obviously there will be no progress until I resolve this

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Are you trying to fill the hull with glue, Nenad?  I'm not sure how much glue you've pumped in there so it could be too much is trying to dry/cure.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Nenad,

Probably best to be careful with the glue type.
Is a large percentage of the filling glue? How much does it shrink when it dries?
As Patrick said above, perhaps resin would be better.

It doesn't shrink much and does not need evaporation to harden.
If the hull is to a large percentage filled with water based glue (the rest being wood, leaving no air), it will dry very slowly, and shrink as it does.

If air cannot come in to replace the lost volume, the hull might come under strong (imploding) stress!
Might deform the planking inwards, perhaps not straight away, but if the glue takes a very long time to dry, perhaps in a year or more.

Please be careful.

/Peter

Hi Nenad

I share your pain. Perhaps in retrospect, maybe a resin would've been better?

Cheers

Patrick

Resin ... hmm ... there could be something ...

Are you trying to fill the hull with glue, Nenad?  I'm not sure how much glue you've pumped in there so it could be too much is trying to dry/cure.

Not only with glue, Mark. Pieces of BBQ strips with a drops of glue over just to slip through and connect them to each other

Hi Nenad,

Probably best to be careful with the glue type.

Is a large percentage of the filling glue? How much does it shrink when it dries?

As Patrick said above, perhaps resin would be better.

It doesn't shrink much and does not need evaporation to harden.

If the hull is to a large percentage filled with water based glue (the rest being wood, leaving no air), it will dry very slowly, and shrink as it does.

If air cannot come in to replace the lost volume, the hull might come under strong (imploding) stress!

Might deform the planking inwards, perhaps not straight away, but if the glue takes a very long time to dry, perhaps in a year or more.

Please be careful.

/Peter

Hi Peter. Caution reasons lead me to do make first layer of glue/BBQ pieces very thin ( I was afraid that glue can find a little hole inside and to enter to deck. Fortunately, this did not happened) . Idea was to use this first layer to impregnate lower inside surface of deck). Actually, I think there is no danger here for planking, because my deck has three layers ( plywood, first planking, and re-planking layer) covered with matt acrylic varnish. And the fact is that Nenad did not think about chemistry issues how glues work ... need some air ...

For now, I am thinking about first move in this situation - to be to careful and to put inside holes some hot air from hairdryer  ... or to put inside very thin layer of alabaster dust to pick up excess of moisture from glue

Or maybe foam ...

post-4738-0-28617500-1454316166_thumb.jpg

But ... it also need air ...

Here are we ... in a swamp again ... and I like challenges .... very much ...( lying)

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build: