I'd rethink the hairdryer, my friend.  Heat and soften and break the glue bond.  I hate to hear that your ship suddenly had important parts falling off.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Maybe this is shortcut to Ver. No 2, Mark ;)

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I wouldn't wish that on you, Nenad.  

I did the cradle stand on my Wasa/Vasa and only epoxied the stand at four points to the hull.  The ship sat out for several years before I got the case and I never had a problem. A bigger problem were idiots to saw it and wanted to move the rudder.  Grrrrrrrr.....    So maybe you don't need the heavy screws and glue?

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Epoxy and microballoons is an excellent filler and should not shrink much.
It's also lightweight.
Hobby shops that sell RC planes might have microballoons.

Back in the 80s when I used to build windsufingboards, you used to be able to by them in the surf shop in larger amounts, as well as epoxy resin.
Probably not likely these days, I don't know.
If you use microballoons, wear a mask. They are actually made of glass, and can fly around like dust. You do not want to breathe glass balloons..

/Peter

Thanks for your support, dear friends

Do you know who will win next Nobel prize for astronomy ?

I found a black hole, here on earth. More correct, four of them

post-4738-0-76026900-1454614165_thumb.jpg

They swallow everytging I put inside

Filling continues

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Maybe I am missing something here Nenad. Seems to me like those large screws are such a serious overkill. I have ships that have been sitting in custom cradles for years with nothing but a single dowel securing them.

Having said that, I would think some type of rubber washer fitted snugly into those four holes might be a very simple, and effective solution.

If I could drop over, we would have a few drinks, smoke a few cigarettes, and knock this issue out of the park before you know it.

Then we could have another couple of drinks and smokes for good measure. :)

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Dave,

I think you're onto something... A dowel through the base and into the hull.   No screws needed.    

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Dowel is main idea. I am fighting now to make some "meat" for dowel inside large space under holes. It is necessary because I used balsa planking (?!?!)/Considering possible angle of holes in stand, simple one dowel can not be mounted, so here will be kind a "dowel for dowel" or "dowel in dowel"

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

I will re-post what I deleted yesterday. The only way I can see to put some meat inside the hull using your existing hole, is to form a thin-walled cup from some flexible rubber type of material. I would try making a form from what you have on hand in the shape of a flat bottomed cone. The idea is that you can insert the rubber cone inside the hull through the existing hull by rolling it up. When you get the cup inside the hull and opened up you will need a way to pull it firmly against the hull, I thought of using 4 o5 small wires placed around the bottom of the cup, long enough to pull the cup against the hull, then bending them over as an anchor, those wire would need to be part of the bundle inserted through the hole. will need adhesive around the lips of the cup to attach it to the inside hull. When the cups are securely in place, fill them with the material of your choice. The coned cups if sized right should provide for a surface contact with the inside of the hull at least 4 times the area of the drilled hole. Roll this around in your mind and put your own ideas into it, then test and do. I have no doubt you will solve your mounting hole problem, you are good at working through things like this.

jud :pirate41:

Edited by shiloh

Nenad

Thinking about your hull mounting I wonder if a small dowel with a hole through the middle and some hose or tube connected to it like this diagram then if you were to force some epoxy down the tube it would overflow inside and create a large washer like surround. similar to a wall mount in plasterboard.

post-202-0-10013100-1454774304_thumb.jpg

Just an Idea.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

or even better yet......how about fitting those holes with the same size dowel plugs........1/2 inch to 1 inch long should do it.    cement them in place and then drill a center hole in all of them,  about the size of your screws.   then you'll have something for the screws to bite into when securing the stand.

you gotta figure that all the glue and stuff you've put into the hull,  has added some ballast.........how much more does that hull weigh?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Nenad,

perhaps the hollow-room dowel for M3 screw may be useful for your purpose.....

replace the hook by a M3 screw

http://www.eibhandel.de/Schneider-1241009-Hohlraumduebel-DUO-MAX-X6mm-Hkn-M3-rot

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Here are me again. Couple of days I was pretty quiet, because I have got a little flue, and also there was not visible progress.  Today I can proudly pronounce that my four "black holes" losed their "black" atributes, and have turned in regular holes, with bottom I can reach. Filling is slowly coming to end.

You will get it my friend. Cheers.

I know it Dave, but it needs a time for filling material to dry, and I have to work in thin layers, to avoid danger of leaking glue etc etc through deck planking. Her Majesty is turned upside down, I suppose - a last time in Her life time, and holes are opened to up during filling process. So, put one relative thin layer of material, and must wait for it to dry. And on that way, every day. about hour for four holes. The end is on horizon ...

I will re-post what I deleted yesterday. The only way I can see to put some meat inside the hull using your existing hole, is to form a thin-walled cup from some flexible rubber type of material. I would try making a form from what you have on hand in the shape of a flat bottomed cone. The idea is that you can insert the rubber cone inside the hull through the existing hull by rolling it up. When you get the cup inside the hull and opened up you will need a way to pull it firmly against the hull, I thought of using 4 o5 small wires placed around the bottom of the cup, long enough to pull the cup against the hull, then bending them over as an anchor, those wire would need to be part of the bundle inserted through the hole. will need adhesive around the lips of the cup to attach it to the inside hull. When the cups are securely in place, fill them with the material of your choice. The coned cups if sized right should provide for a surface contact with the inside of the hull at least 4 times the area of the drilled hole. Roll this around in your mind and put your own ideas into it, then test and do. I have no doubt you will solve your mounting hole problem, you are good at working through things like this.

jud :pirate41:

Helo Jud, I have readed your post before you deleted it. I used rolled paper sodden with glue cleated to bottom of hole, and covered with thin layer of BBQ strip pieces, with another thin coat of glue. Idea with wire is something valuable to think about. So, bunch of strips rise over time, and now it is only 1-2 cm under hole entrance, so final filling can start

Nenad

Thinking about your hull mounting I wonder if a small dowel with a hole through the middle and some hose or tube connected to it like this diagram then if you were to force some epoxy down the tube it would overflow inside and create a large washer like surround. similar to a wall mount in plasterboard.

attachicon.gifdrawing for Nenad..jpg

Just an Idea.

Michael

I was thinking about epoxy, Michael, but I gave up, because I was afraid of leaking through the deck planking. Particularly, I can not find in near shops adequate epoxy. In Belgrade there are not shops like "Hobby-lobby" and another such a type I have read on MSW, there are only a few similar, but with poor choice of such a things, materials tools etc etc ( mainly plastic kits, acrylic, brushes, cheep Chinese scalpels etc etc). So I have to manage with things I have

or even better yet......how about fitting those holes with the same size dowel plugs........1/2 inch to 1 inch long should do it.    cement them in place and then drill a center hole in all of them,  about the size of your screws.   then you'll have something for the screws to bite into when securing the stand.

you gotta figure that all the glue and stuff you've put into the hull,  has added some ballast.........how much more does that hull weigh?

My idea is similar Denis : to fill hole with material  to the top, when dry and harden, drill through a new hole for 4mm dowel, drill 1-1,5mm hole in dowel, glue dowel in new hole and align it to the surface of hull. And after that mount stand with screw or a new thin dowel, or wire. Just for remind, main problem is balsa 2x5mm strips used for hull planking   

Hi Nenad,

perhaps the hollow-room dowel for M3 screw may be useful for your purpose.....

replace the hook by a M3 screw

http://www.eibhandel.de/Schneider-1241009-Hohlraumduebel-DUO-MAX-X6mm-Hkn-M3-rot

Nils

Hello Nils. That was my first idea, and I made some testing with such a solution, but I was scarred of possibility that balsa strips can not withstand direct force. That was a reason I decided to reduce that direct force giving some "meat" to  hold dowel and to distribute direct force from hole entrance to whole "meat" in which dowel will be embedded. Problem is  in fact that I know with whom I am dealing with ... un patience, and awkward Nenad, and I just have to make something strong enough to keep me and my work from - me

So, another booooring period is coming to end, and I hope soon to continue with deck stuff challenges

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

I added extra ballast earlier, my friend, so I think whole thing now has a little less than 1 kg

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Ah yeas Nenad, you are not disappointing us, I figured you'd come up with a solution with materials you have on hand.  It's a handicap you'll have to work around and so far you have come up with some brilliant ideas.  My hat off to you and your perseverance.  

Your solution will work just fine, have patience and go slow - you don't have to rush on our account.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thank you for nice and supporting words, Piet. In my life, I graduated improvisation for many reasons. Also, when I make something, I have a irrational fear that structure will be weak, and usually I made it more stronger and complicated than it has to be. I remember when kids were babies, year 1993. full force of hyperinflation, and no money for anything... we just moved in our semi-finished house, with no furniture. I found some cheap pine lumber and made beds for babies ... thinking ... they will jump on beds ... they had to be very strong ... you just can not have any idea what wooden fortress I have made ... Also, our double bed in sleeping room has hidden metal structure and can withstand  weight of one tone !!!! You can easily hang yourself on any bookshelf I put on walls ... every concrete I have made in and around of house is much stronger than it had to be ... 

That is just - me, and my irrational approach   to everything I make/made . This time, transposed to my model

Thanks again

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

My black holes somehow turned to white holes. Filled until top!

Almost

post-4738-0-80407800-1455220137_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

That's great news!!!!!   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Oh what a day ... 15°C outside, first gardening works this season, cooking, visiting Old Lady, going to swiming pool to swim my weekly 1km, helping Hothead to wash and start preparing his bike for season, at evening kids went to downtown, and after a few hours, Her Majesty is at Her working throne, at last

post-4738-0-01833100-1455483426_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-45154900-1455483456_thumb.jpg

The best colateral thing is, that throne can enter into Her dust protecting wall shelf

post-4738-0-42685900-1455483481_thumb.jpg

And I am happy to go forward to finish aft deck one of this days

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

She looks mighty fine on her throne Nenad, mighty fine.

We are all awaiting further construction on her majesty.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

very pleased to see that there's a happy ending ..........the queen lives!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

She looks mighty fine on her throne Nenad, mighty fine.

We are all awaiting further construction on her majesty.

Cheers,

very pleased to see that there's a happy ending ..........the queen lives!

I am also surprised how good she looks ! Ok, some trifle here and there, some color correction on standing, but it is really OK

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

mounting the stand worked out well for you Nenad,

it looks very nice, good job !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50