YOUNG AMERICA 1853 by BiTao - FINISHED - 1:72

It is always so splendid! What a precise work. It is superb.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Simply stunning work all round.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

She really looks great!

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

Amazing work...the carpentry is wonderfully done and the minimalistic decking so one can see the interior is well laid out.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

10 hours ago, wefalck said:

Nice micro-carpentry on the companionway. How did you do it ?

Maybe a lot of people see simple parts. But because many parts are small, milling is the main method to ensure accuracy, making the clamping process the most troublesome. I spent some time and material to make some special disposable device (wood) . This is easy to operate and prevents parts from being pinched. Some are hand-polished. Thank you for your attention.

I was very fortunate to recently purchase the three volumes with CDs of the Young America build from a gentleman who had to move to assisted living and therefore would be unable to do his build. Upon reviewing all the material, I discovered that two plans from the plan packet were missing. They are Plan #2  YA 1:72 and Plan #8 YA 1:96. I am hopeful that you might be able to assist me in obtaining the missing plans. A recommendation of going to Sea Watchbooks or contacting Mr. Tosti would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Yankee Clipper

Yankee Clipper - did you get the CDs?  I seem to recall all the plans were also provided in digital format - may be mistaken though.  If provided, you should be able to get them printed fairly cheaply from the CD?

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi  Yankee Clipper.I've only got two of the three books so far, so I'm sorry I won't be able to finish the rope and mast. I also encountered the same confusion as you at first, but later found that you are missing the label drawings are actually in the CD, need to scan and print. Just very confused: These two unconventional drawings why not provide it together. You don't usually have a print-and-scan device this big. . .

Bitao, your modeling is exquisite. I noticed the wood you are using for the decks and cabins has a lovely golden color. What wood is it. Do you use a stain or varnish?

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

You got me all wrong, wefalck. Because many small parts, especially wooden parts, do not fit any metal fixture, one contact surface is too small and unstable, the other is also vulnerable to damage fragile parts. You don't have to make special tools, just use wood instead of pliers. Clamping the general requirements of the workpiece can be completely lower than the level of the jaw, milling cutter processing can be very deep! The block should be kept at the level of the jaws and should not exceed the level of the jaws!

Dowmer, thank you for your attention. Actually, you said the material was pear wood, but I chose a different part and a different natural color. I don't know if you have this kind of wood in your country? In China, it is often called "fruit tree pear wood. ". The surface is coated with a danish-made wood wax oil. Because it is bulk without any label, forget the specific model and brand. And less sticky, volatile and faster

33 minutes ago, wefalck said:

Bitao, I understood that you are using some wooden fixture. Could you just show a picture or two (if you have them) how you milled the parts for the companionway ?

Because I'm not in the habit of taking pictures during processing. Just so you know, I posed for a few pictures. I hope you understand. Of course, before processing tools and workpiece to cut precise positioning, this I think you should know it? But remember: this method is not suitable for metal parts processing

DSC03227.JPG.705847e3780accd1a5cfbe4078cdc5b2.JPG

DSC03228.JPG.c0fc2ddd82f8600f7ba19e70e95b9987.JPG

4 hours ago, druxey said:

Apart from the superb quality of our build, your rate of progress is remarkable!

20 years ago, I made 107 plastic models in a crazy year. Now, I spend most of my time in the studio, except when I'm not working more than six hours a week. Sleep five hours a day or less...

Well done the ladders. You cross-drilled the wire and soldered in the rungs, I suppose ?

It would be a matter of presentation, but if I am not mistaken, the roofs of deck-houses would have some heavily painted canvas nailed on, I believe.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

After a total of 11 months of effort, the hull of all the main structure of the basic completed. The remaining details are expected to be completed in about a month. This is about six months ahead of my original plan! Thank you for your support.     :dancetl6::champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

442.JPG.c05ec0465a5be33a5cb6c0eb20d857f6.JPG

443.JPG.e586a0a6fbf3a8e684f741f14c060c30.JPG

444.JPG.78a18457edc5b22aa82a108b0e467e0c.JPG

445.JPG.129c814b9c5ef825b0866506af006ead.JPG