B 25 Mitchell ragove 1/144 Minicraft

I used to build 1/144  scale airliners  - looking forward to this.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Anything less than 1/72 is an exercise in assembly and paint.... very fine work.... Takes a real artist..

I'm in....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I'm in, just cos it's a bomber😉 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

5 hours ago, ragove said:

I like this scale. A couple of steps and you have an aircraft. 

Yeah, and now, you get to make majik.....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

at least I've made it here for part of the project!  I built a lot of these small scale aircraft when I was younger.......weekend models I used to call them :)    do be careful on 'quick builds' though........some can turn out to take longer than expected  ;)   looks great :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Well, it’s sort of finished.  I lost the top turret.  I can’t seem to learn from past mistakes. I will assemble and paint some part and leave it on my workbench to install later. It’s soon forgotten and then lost in a clean-up or something. I have done this so many times.  Anyway, I found the identical kit on eBay and will have a replacement in a week or so.  I also messed up some decals.  The star on each side (Not sure of the correct term)  had white stripes attached that went on both sides of the gun windows and up over the top. They just kept curling up on themselves until they were ruined. I will try again when I get the replacement. I also need to make a base for at. It is tail heavy and I needed a small dab of glue to keep the nose down for a photo.  Can’t seem to get lead fishing sinkers and nothing else is small enough or heavy enough to hold the nose down.  I have the same trouble with the B-24. 

25C5BB98-FDA6-4731-9F4D-951C967D32A2.jpeg

Looks good, I liked those small bomber kits when I was younger as they didn't take up too much room 😏

Denis(popeye the sailor) is the fella to tap up for tail heavy  bomber solutions 😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

10 hours ago, ragove said:

It is tail heavy and I needed a small dab of glue to keep the nose down for a photo.  Can’t seem to get lead fishing sinkers and nothing else is small enough or heavy enough to hold the nose down.  I have the same trouble with the B-24. 

Use copper clad steel BBs. They are small and heavy enough to hold nose down. See my Coast Dolphin Guard helo build  

10 hours ago, ragove said:

Can’t seem to get lead fishing sinkers and nothing else is small enough or heavy enough to hold the nose down.  I have the same trouble with the B-24. 

May I suggest non-drying Modeling Clay, available from most any hobby/craft store and very cheap, fill the nose with it and tail sitting is over.....

best thing abut it is you can conform it to whatever space you have.... and it doesn't need to be glued in...

EG

Quote:

Or good old  Blu Tack.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

13 minutes ago, ragove said:

I received my duplicate kit and added the top turret.  So she’s done. 

Good lookin' aircraft.... (couldn't help but notice "Really George" back there in the background, it's a good looker also)

B-25B's are one of my favorites, but the heavy gun nosed ones are fun also....

Nice Work!

Quote:

gee......if there was a way to eliminate the turret,  with the right decals,  you could have done one of Dolittle's planes :)    I have found a kit that has the option to lose the turret.......but every time I try to hit the buy button,  the admiral alarm goes off  "it's designed to go off before you do!"  I've done that with a few tail heavy models.....glue the tires to a home made base.....one good solution :)   I've got a larger scale B 25 J......under the cockpit floor is a great place to put the weights.  I normally use either tire weights or derby cars {if they fit}.  I'm not familiar with the access you might have with this one though.   she came out great........looks really neat!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I'm pretty sure the lower turret was removed for the Raiders, since their ingress/egress was expected to be at low altitude.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

39 minutes ago, Canute said:

I'm pretty sure the lower turret was removed for the Raiders, since their ingress/egress was expected to be at low altitude.

The raiders aircraft were modified B-25B-NA's (the B-25 painted up like Doolittle's at the USAF Museum is actually RB-25D 43-3374) there is only one surviving B-25B and although possible to make her fly, her wing spars have been cut which makes it unlikely...

lastb.jpg.b554c26ae1977440a44b0a7990c88a8f.jpg

That is B-25B-NA SN 40-2347 the second to the last B-25B NA built and only three aircraft behind Doolittle's 40-2344 If there was one B-25 that could be rebuilt to match a Doolittle's Raiders plane this one is it....

The Bendix retractable belly turret was removed for an extra fuel tank...... The tail gun was removed, as was most of the armament. The latter half of the bomb bay, had a removable fuel tank installed.... they only had two bombs each... one for the primary and one for the secondary targets...

Also they each loaded five jerry cans of extra fuel just before they took off... they knew before they ever took off the deck that they probably wouldn't make China... they went anyway.....

Fuel was the real limiting factor with the raiders...... they modified enough for the raid with a little reserve I believe it was 32 aircraft. The Aircraft that were remaining after they left were sent back to North American and restored into true "B" models...... A standard production aircraft could not have done it....

Quote:

Yep, they launched further out than the original plan, thanks to the 2 gunboats they spotted. Militarily, it wasn't much of a raid, but it did make the warlords rethink their plans for the home islands perimeter. Fascinating reading of how their thought processes worked. Ought to read "Shattered Sword" to get additional insights into their plans with their fast carrier forces, pilot training and battle damage assessments. Very different from our perspectives.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

they do have  a B 25B kit out there.........I forget who makes it.  the early production of this aircraft was perfect for the mission........the weight was less than the future variants,  it's size,  and how little modifications would need to be done.  all of the guns were removed........due to a miscalculation on the weight for take off.   I was looking for decals......I was going to do the Ruptured Duck

Pacific Wrecks - B-25B "Ruptured Duck" Serial Number 40-2261

I was hoping to use the kit I have,  but it won't work.......I'd have to do too much to it.    it's a J variant.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 years later...

No B-25 ever had a “belly turret”. Ever. The top turret was moved from the rearward position that the Early versions like the Doolittle raiders had, to a forward position, like the one on your model kit. The retractable ball turret was “standard equipment “ on B-17 Flying Fortress and B-24 Liberators.