Chaperon by joep4567 - 1:48 - Sternwheeler

You bet I will! The above photo is great and I wish I had seen it earlier in the build. I started working on the boiler deck doors. I made a jig to build them  of styrene in. One complete piece forms the door itself and narrower strips of the same thickness the rails and stiles. The third center stile I used piano wire as it looked best more narrow than the outside rails.

IMG_4146.JPG

IMG_4147.JPG

IMG_4148.JPG

IMG_4149.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice! Is there a slight mismatch in wall height where the flat part transitions to the angled part (just forward of the engines) and will that cause problems for laying down the hurricane deck?

I decided to cover the hurricane deck with some fabric so it would have some texture which I did. I sealed the fabric down with diluted pva glue and painted it a couple coats the waterbased paint . I think the texture looks approximately in scale. I've started on the transom lights also( I'm not sure of the nomenclature).

IMG_4174 (1).JPG

IMG_4175 (1).JPG

IMG_4183.JPG

IMG_4182.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joe,

Just took a seat on this ride and enjoying it thoroughly.  The detail on the engines &c. are great.   Regarding the engines, what is the finish materials that you used?   From the photos, the finish looks great.   Also, what is the   wood that you used for the deck planks?  

Thanks

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allen the engines and boiler were made of a combination of wood and styrene and just painted semigloss black with a little Testors dull coat. The deck planking is mahogany colored with a little burnt sienna and given a little teak oil. I'm starting on the wheel house next.

IMG_4196.JPG

IMG_4197.JPG

Creative way to get around having to drop the lower part of the wheel through the floor. All looks good. What other details are you planning?

Depending on how crazy you're feeling, there can be a variety of pulls hanging from the ceiling (connecting to the engine room, for example), speaking tubes, a spittoon, etc. One especially visible detail would be the long wooden lever used to "lock" the wheel in place if the pilot needs to step away (called the bridle, I believe).

I used acetate to simulate the glazing and styrene for the mullions . I was thinking I might not do anymore of the side glass as it restricts the view of the interior. Certainly open to suggestions on this matter. I started turning the potbelly stove and I'm thinking I'll do the bench , bridle, and speaking tube.

IMG_4222.JPG

IMG_4221.JPG

IMG_4219.JPG

IMG_4217.JPG

IMG_4218.JPG

IMG_4220.JPG