Without doubt this is going to be the best model of the Victory that has ever been available. Being particularly interested in the

Victory siince the late 1950's I have built models of the ship from the first version produced by Airfix (very small that came in a

plastic bag) followed by at least  two of their larger version and several from Revell. The last Victory I built was the 1/78 Panart

version which was unfortunately damaged in a house move 4 years ago. Therefore I have started saving up for this long awaited 

beauty from Amati/Victory Models. I am currently working on a "super detailed version" of the Jotika 1/64 scale HMS Agamemnon

which will include a fully fitted out lower gun deck with fully rigged gun carriges etc and the  1/64 Victory will fit in well with this

and HMS Diana which I finished building just before my house move and fortunately survived undamaged.

James,

Grabbed my chair, but really needed a ladder your shipyard is, as it should be, already a very full one indeed. 👌

This kit does look to be of amazing quality. Will follow along, learn and enjoy as well.

The Victory has and always intimidated me, still does. But so appreciate the talents of builders here who can do her proper justice. 

Regards,

9 hours ago, md1400cs said:

James,

Grabbed my chair, but really needed a ladder your shipyard is, as it should be, already a very full one indeed. 👌

This kit does look to be of amazing quality. Will follow along, learn and enjoy as well.

The Victory has and always intimidated me, still does. But so appreciate the talents of builders here who can do her proper justice. 

Regards,

Glad your following.

I have a few weeks now until Amati send the replacement timber sheets, so I'm working on the Duchess of Kingston at the moment, and Vic is draped in bubblewrap. Won't be too long though!

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Nowhere, yet. James is building the second prototype for the instruction manual. Probably be about a year before the kit is out.

I have worn a patch on the floor from tapping my foot in anticipation of this being released - the most  exciting prospect  when this comes out.

OC.

There was a problem with the non-MDF sheets and the quality of them. 

Amati are currently sorting this out and I expect the replacements to be with me in a few weeks. That should hopefully coincide with my current project ending too.

I know what you mean though. Looking forward to getting back the behemoth! 

Hey James, 

Im really enjoying this build! You are certainly more skilled than I! I’m sure you have thought of it all by now but when it comes to planking are your worried at all the weight of the ship might make it really tough to plank? The frame certainly looks strong enough to support its own weight, but personally i like having the ability of moving my ship around while planking, do you think the weight of the ship might make that process harder? I’m looking forward to watching this build, its going to be an absolute masterpiece!

Bradley  

1 hour ago, Keithbrad80 said:

Hey James, 

Im really enjoying this build! You are certainly more skilled than I! I’m sure you have thought of it all by now but when it comes to planking are your worried at all the weight of the ship might make it really tough to plank? The frame certainly looks strong enough to support its own weight, but personally i like having the ability of moving my ship around while planking, do you think the weight of the ship might make that process harder? I’m looking forward to watching this build, its going to be an absolute masterpiece!

Bradley  

Hi Bradley,

It's already quite heavy and I've only got as far as installing the lower gun deck, sans details. The hull itself is perfectly workable in terms of manhandling for sanding and planking, for its size. It will of course get much heavier, but I intend to plank this whilst led on my bench. There's no other way really. When I finally sand it, I'll do that outside with a thick towel on the floor on which I'll prop the model whilst I work.

This looks really amazing - a big testament to Chris' skills as a designer to make a model with such detailed focus on developing a skeleton for the model that ensures its stability and accuracy.  For me, having to figure out where to cut gunports, modifying the skeleton so it all fits together accurately, etc. in other kits were very aggravating.  In this kit, Chris looks like he's set it up in such a way that you can spend more time building and adding details, which is what I most like about modeling.

21 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

This looks really amazing - a big testament to Chris' skills as a designer to make a model with such detailed focus on developing a skeleton for the model that ensures its stability and accuracy.  For me, having to figure out where to cut gunports, modifying the skeleton so it all fits together accurately, etc. in other kits were very aggravating.  In this kit, Chris looks like he's set it up in such a way that you can spend more time building and adding details, which is what I most like about modeling.

I just hate 'Dummy Barrels', and the gun port patterns is now old hat, as every other company seems to have adopted this method (although still required for smaller subjects with thinner bulwarks).

I figured that if I were to do a 3-decker, the model needs to have at least three complete decks, otherwise it is no more detailed, internally, as a sloop or frigate, the only difference being the hull is deeper. With this Victory, you do not start the outer planking until half way though the hull build!

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, dkuehn said:

Any update on this one? You get the correct parts yet?

I'm quite excited about this kit, so I can't help but ask. 😀

I know what you mean.

Still waiting for the replacement parts yet, and the discussion as to what timber is being used as the stuff I was supplied with with below par, and Amati are aware of this. 

At the moment, Amati are prioritising Bismarck, which should be slated for release in November, but the current virus situation means that could change, affecting the replacement of Vic parts.

I'm still confident that they'll resolve this reasonably soon, but I can't see this being until New Year now.

• 1 month later...