HMS Victory by James H - Amati - 1:64

40 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

Hello James,

I (we are all) was wondering if there is any news from Amati and if you have received replacements for the defective materials and parts?

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Yves

Hi Yves,

A good number of sheets were actually cut from a timber that was unsuitable for purpose, as the grain was too coarse. Very fine parts were crumbling. There seems to have been some miscommunication at the laser plant, and replacements are hopefully expected in these next months.

Coronavirus has screwed up Amati's release schedule, and Bismarck was due to be released last November, then it had to be moved to Jan/Feb this year. I remember proof reading the two manuals for it and being very tied for time with it. In retrospect, I could've have had more time!

At the moment, I believe Bismarck is their priority and I have to presume production of it has been impacted too, and that will in turn  impact Victory.

Damn pandemic! 🤢

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Gord-Canada said:

Do you know if cannon will be constructed for all stations or will the lower ones have closed hatches similar to other kits or ...? It would be nice if full cannon were at all stations even though it would be a lot of work and most detail hidden anyway 

Good morning! There will be full cannon at each position. No dummy barrels anywhere etc.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, chris godson said:

I would love to get my hands on one of the 1/64th model kits of HMS Victory.

Is there any way we can be notified when this kit becomes available, please?

Thank you

Hi Chris,

You'll find out all the info you need right here on MSW. Best thing to do is to follow this topic and I'll update as soon as I have first-hand information for you. If you read some purposely misleading posts on FB, they'll tell you this particular build stopped 'years ago'. due to 'bad quality materials'. You'll see it was only last August and that's because:

1. Pandemic and Italy being crippled with it, especially in the north where Amati are and the parts are produced.
  2. The company producing the parts for Amati, did so from an unsuitable (not bad quality) material. This is now being sorted at the moment and I expect this build to be on again in a few months.

Jim

On 3/12/2021 at 10:40 PM, James H said:

I'm told this could be next month, so anytime in the next 6 weeks, hopefully.

Hi Jim

Not wanting to hijack this thread taking about Bismarck, but is it the same as the old one or any electrical bits like the Hachette?

Following this prototype build with interest

While we're waiting for some nice laser-cut goodies coming from Italy for this build, perhaps you'd like to take a look at this link and give them your wholehearted support:

This promises to be an amazing project and about as close to the actual Trafalgar that any of us could ever hope to get!

Go forth! 'England Model Ship World expects that everyone will do their duty'!

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, chris godson said:

Hi James,

just wondering if there has been any progress with the correct material woods coming from Italy for the Victory kit?

Seriously can't wait to get my hands on one of these kits. 😀

Not yet, but Amati have been in contact and want this to progress very shortly. I know they've had other priorities with Bismarck and also the effects the pandemic has had on their production, but watch this space.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a follow up to my previous message, I received an email today from Modellers Central advertising the Amati Bismark kit at £773.00.

The same kit (as far as I can tell, dimensions and description) is on sale through CMB at £493.00. They have both used identical photos of the kit as well.

Surely there is a difference somewhere? I will be shocked if it's just one company charging (a lot) more than another for the same kit!!

2 minutes ago, chris godson said:

As a follow up to my previous message, I received an email today from Modellers Central advertising the Amati Bismark kit at £773.00.

The same kit (as far as I can tell, dimensions and description) is on sale through CMB at £493.00. They have both used identical photos of the kit as well.

Surely there is a difference somewhere? I will be shocked if it's just one company charging (a lot) more than another for the same kit!!

I presume you are UK (your email addy), so if the Modeler's Central is the Aussie one, that could be a reason? I presume shipping costs and distribution will affect overall price at various global retailers. Plus if you are UK, CMB is the obvious choice to purchase from.

1 hour ago, chris godson said:

I received an email today from Modellers Central advertising the Amati Bismark kit at £773.00.

The same kit (as far as I can tell, dimensions and description) is on sale through CMB at £493.00.

Absolutely mind-boggling retail price differences are not unheard of in our hobby. It really does pay to shop around!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

At this stage, I envisage it being new year before any further work can start. That's fine with me as it gives me a small break after my Vanguard Models stuff, before I dive back into this. I was looking through my files tonight and found 3 pics that Chris did of the original prototype. I'm not sure if these have been seen before, so I'll add them to my log so you can see what to expect as this progresses.

Screenshot-2021-10-24-at-21.26.05.jpg

Screenshot-2021-10-24-at-21.25.48.jpg

Screenshot-2021-10-24-at-21.25.21.jpg

Wow...this could be a sensational model! Hopefully, it will have instructions and plans that are as good as Chris does on his Vanguard models.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

On 10/24/2021 at 9:34 PM, James H said:

At this stage, I envisage it being new year before any further work can start. That's fine with me as it gives me a small break after my Vanguard Models stuff, before I dive back into this. I was looking through my files tonight and found 3 pics that Chris did of the original prototype. I'm not sure if these have been seen before, so I'll add them to my log so you can see what to expect as this progresses.

Really appetising pics (with contented dog in the background) of the hull and can't wait for this to start rolling again.

On 10/24/2021 at 10:34 PM, James H said:

As soon as this Amati HMS Victory kit comes available, I’m in for one!

Frank.

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None