Trotamares by Rab999 - Mantua - scale 1:43

After a few years of building model boats I’ve finally decided to do a build log of Mantua Models Trotamares due to being unable to find a build log anywhere.

I normally use build logs as a helpful guide when the provided instructions are a little sketchy. Hopefully I’ll not have too many problems with this build.

6F5DD968-2541-48B9-8401-4418A6A7B071.jpeg

On 7/17/2020 at 12:34 PM, Rab999 said:

I’ve finally decided to do a build log of Mantua Models Trotamares due to being unable to find a build log anywhere.

I'm glad to see a build log of this interesting model here on MSW. She looks great so far!

I'm curious about how you used wood spacers for the caulking between the deck planks. It looks really good and is very uniform. Were these spacers included in the kit or is this your own modification? Will you eventually add color to them also?

I look forward to following along on your build. Good luck!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

On 7/24/2020 at 6:20 PM, BobG said:

I'm glad to see a build log of this interesting model here on MSW. She looks great so far!

I'm curious about how you used wood spacers for the caulking between the deck planks. It looks really good and is very uniform. Were these spacers included in the kit or is this your own modification? Will you eventually add color to them also?

I look forward to following along on your build. Good luck!

The spacers were included in the kit. Not easy to get even but so far looks ok. At the moment I’m thinking that I’ll leave them the colour of the wood, but will decide later.

• 2 weeks later...

You can use a good filler and then sand the hull to make a very nice base for your second layer of planking. Take following post is an excellent, brief tutorial regarding an great planking method:

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the reference Bob. I also cover this technique in my Lady Nelson log

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 3 weeks later...

I was traveling in Italy and purchased this kit sometime around 1995. I started it sometime in the 90s, but got frustrated with the second layer of planking and put it away. What with our current environment, I pulled it out again and have been making some good progress. The photo is staged none of the deck furniture is fastened yet. You’ve got your work cut out for you. I will enjoy following along.

039A6B6F-688D-42EB-B77E-A6F4CC6D49C0.jpeg

5D23CFDB-BA88-453A-8261-C2D72F5589FC.jpeg

A8171C43-1C79-485B-99E7-240DBDBF8890.jpeg

I don’t see the need for filler, unless you want the practice! Just fill in the small square at the stern them smooth the whole thing out. It’s looking really good. I like the way you used the walnut down the center. Are you going continue that on the main deck? 

• 7 months later...

Sparky, are you going to do a build log? I’d love to follow along.

I put my framing together so long ago that I don’t remember, but I think I would have glued it to add strength. I did use the walnut caulking supplied on the bow and stern, like Rab999 did, but on the main deck, I just blackened the edges as I installed them. It was easier and I think it looks better.