Byrne's saw accessories question..

CPDDET:

I just got the sliding table top - worth it, especially for identical length parts with angled cuts.

Other accessories I've had for some time - all useful:

Extended Rip Fence

Rip Taper Gage

Micrometer Stop - The saws precision makes micrometer adjustments of the rip fence possible.

Zero Clearance Throat Plate

Blade Adapters - Use any blade up to four inch with any size hole up to one inch.  Tell Jim what you want.

Accessory Pack

Blades - Figure out your needs and get replacements.

Extra Drive Belt - I've got one, never needed it but I like having it around.

The miter gage with adjustable extension is new to me.  Mine is the old style - longer but not adjustable.  The extra length has always been helpful.  

All of those accessories above are very useful. I'd urge anyone to get them all at the time you buy the saw. I expect you'd save a good bit of money on shipping charges if it were all shipped together. The sliding table may seem like a chunk of money, and it is, but it's really worth it. You can build your own, but if you want to replicate the accuracy the saw is capable of with a sliding table, get the factory-made one. It's a beautiful piece of machining, too. 

And what about saw blades for scratch building?

Since the saw comes with a  24 tooth, 4 inch blade I thought I would stick with the 4inch size and order the 36 tooth as well as the 100 tooth slitting blade which is recommended for use with tilt table.

Are 3inch blades really needed at all?

Is a 36 tooth blade needed or will the 24 tooth suffice for all cutting?

Obviously I have no experience / knowledge of saw blades. 

Dave

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 1:57 PM, CPDDET said:

Would it handle 1/64 birch aircraft ply as well?

We did an addition several years ago and I cut all the 3/4" Oak trim for the windows, the Oak baseboards and Oak door trim with my Byrnes saw.  It's a lot easier to carry from room to room than constantly walking to use a chop saw or table saw.  Never even slows down going through 3/4 inch Oak.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Great video of the Byrnes table saw, Olha. Thanks!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

35 minutes ago, BobG said:

Great video of the Byrnes table saw, Olha. Thanks!

It is but just don’t follow her technique as it’s dangerous. Lots of kick backs due to pushing the wrong side of the work piece and using the fence and mitre together.  Get a good book on table saw practice as these little machines are quite powerful for their size 

1 hour ago, No Idea said:

It is but just don’t follow her technique as it’s dangerous.

Thanks, No Idea. I have no knowledge about using a table saw. I just liked seeing it in action. This hope to buy this saw fairly soon but I'll need to study up on safe usage.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

As for the kickback problem when the product slice is between the blade and the fence,  I am of a thought that a GRR-RIPER type hold down with a push barrier at the back end would block any kickback.  The pusher part would get a bit mauled, but if attached to the hold down, it would not go anywhere.  It may take practice to figure out how to push work thru correctly when it is blocked from view by the safety tools.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

9 hours ago, No Idea said:

It is but just don’t follow her technique as it’s dangerous. Lots of kick backs due to pushing the wrong side of the work piece and using the fence and mitre together.  Get a good book on table saw practice as these little machines are quite powerful for their size 

It looks to me like the kickback is way she's feeding the wood... pressing down and towards the fence which deflects the rear of the blade.  I get the same result doing it that way.  When pushing from the entry point (pushstick!) no kick back with minimal side force.  Or, one can adjust the exit side of the fence away from the blade slightly.   I also have short fence (length) attachment to my fence that basically ends up releasing the wood as soon as it's cut. The rear edge of the fence is aligned with the front of the blade and then forwards towards the exit just a "scoosh".  Scoosh = very small amount.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

To prevent this type of kick back when cutting thin planks you still need to push the wood on the thin side. This stops the wood from turning in toward the blade which is dangerous. All you need Is a sacrificial push stick that passes over the blade and carries the thin piece through. Use a nice big piece to keep your fingers well clear of the blade 

Slightly off topic, but Olha Batchvarov's prize winning model of Nelson's HMS Victory is quite stunning ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O6uBV0uThk ...as is the black background photography towards the end of the video.

As a newcomer it was so impressive to see whilst at the same time a bit intimidating. However, in the Comments below the video she reveals it took her 4 1/2 yrs to build, so maybe....

Richard

Very interesting topic on how to secure a cut.

As the new owner of a Byrnes table saw, I too have been subjected to these kick back effects.

Novice in the matter, I learn by trial and error to avoid them.

If an experienced user, could illustrate the correct way to do this using step by step photos  or a video, I think more than one of us would benefit from it ...

Apart from that, the work of Olha Batchvarov is absolutely remarkable and her youtube channel very informative. It is a pleasure to read his posts in this forum.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

3 hours ago, JpR62 said:

As the new owner of a Byrnes table saw, I too have been subjected to these kick back effects.

Novice in the matter, I learn by trial and error to avoid them.

If an experienced user, could illustrate the correct way to do this using step by step photos  or a video, I think more than one of us would benefit from it ...

I would definitely learn from a how-to tutorial on the use of a Byrnes or other make table saw.  I have learned a lot from reading the above comments.

And Olha is a very gifted and talented ship model builder.  I enjoy seeing her amazing work and I am glad she is sharing it with us.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Just don't look at my style!

Before that, I used to work on less powerful table saws - which can not cut hornbeam or oak. 

Unlike this one - which does it like a hot knife butter! This table saw has a very high speed - hence the problem with recoil - I used a work stick when cutting thin boards. For now, I haven't found a better method to avoid kickback!

1 hour ago, Ryland Craze said:

I would definitely learn from a how-to tutorial on the use of a Byrnes or other make table saw.  I have learned a lot from reading the above comments.

I have a 10" table saw which I seem to do ok with (no fingers lost). I ordered a Byrnes saw a few days ago. A detailed tutorial would be a good resource from both from a safety and precision perspective. 

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Micro-saws like the Byrnes saw, being smaller, are, I suppose, in theory at least, less dangerous than full sized table saws, but only by degrees of magnitude. Beyond that, I'd go so far as to say the smaller saws are even more likely to cause injury, albeit less massive injury, because they pose exactly the same risk of injury occurring as the full sized saws, but, being smaller, they invite operator error more readily. It's easy to pontificate about power tool safety and that tends to go in one ear and out the other. They say the table saw is the most dangerous power tool, but that's only because there are more of them and this leads completely inexperienced people to attempt to operate them relying solely upon their intuition. "You simply plug it in, turn it on, and feed the wood into the blade. What could be easier? What could possibly go wrong?"

Ninety-nine percent of table saw injuries are caused by operator error. These machines don't just jump up and bite you. If you are "experiencing kick-back effects," it's not the saw's fault. It's your fault because you aren't using the tool correctly. (Don't ask me how I know this.) That's as close as I'll get to a safety lecture here, but I can't stifle myself when I hear comments like "I just bought my first table saw and..." followed by a description of a problem that is directly ascribable to extremely dangerous improper operation of the machine. 

Please don't mess with any power tool and especially a table saw of any size without getting proper training in its use and particularly in all safety procedures unique to that particular tool. We've all heard Norm Abrams go through his little "safety mantra" on TV ("... and remember this, always wear these: safety glasses.") and then watched him operate his table saw, reaching over the blade and sawing without using push sticks or guards in place. "Lucky Norm" still has all his fingers, but I've got at least four professional woodworker friends who don't.

To answer the question,"Does anybody know where there's a good tutorial?" hey, YouTube is your friend. Just watch as many table saw safety and how-to-use videos as you can. You'll find something useful in every one of them. Follow the instructions and you will avoid injury and produce much better work, as well.  https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+use+a+table+saw

While I have owned a radial arm saw many years ago, I've never owned or operated a table saw.

Seems to me my Byrne's saw is just a smaller version of the full size machine so the same techniques and safety rules apply.

While waiting for delivery of the saw I decided to purchase the following and get some education.

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/tauntons-complete-illustrated-guide-to-tablesaws-paul-anthony/1103185359

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

Bob spot on - Tools are only as safe as the user and their experience.  Whilst experience has to be earned, knowledge can be gained through YouTube and many other places. In the demo above she is using a soft wood which is pretty forgiving when you get things wrong.  A hard wood on the other hand is far less forgiving but this should not put anyone off.  Get reading and watching and then put some time in on the table saw.  You'll get it in no time and the results are worth the learning. 

I find being terrified of the saw helps. 

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

I’ve been watching a series of YouTube tutorials on machining with lathe and mill by Blondiehacks, recommended by someone else here (Greg Herbert (DVM) if I recall correctly). As well as being excellent tutorials, she has a great mantra around safety. She often says something along the lines of “always remember, these machines are actively trying to murder you - don’t let them!” Good advice me thinks!

On 8/6/2020 at 9:51 PM, mtaylor said:

adjust the exit side of the fence away from the blade slightly

This is all it takes to prevent kickbacks in my experience, that and a side block to keep it tight to the side and a push stick to move it past the blade. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose