Micromark cutoff saw?

I've used mine for over 8 years . As Jim says, mount with jig, ruler and stop, and repetitive cuts, deck planks for example, can be reproduced 6 or 7 at a time . Single cuts can be produced quickly and accurately. Those in the USA should appreciate how cheap they can obtain such tools, (Good luck to them). Even at 3 times the price (I paid) very worthwhile.

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

I had one once.  But found out I could just as well on my modeling table saw.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

15 hours ago, Jim Rogers said:

I picked up almost the exact same saw at Harbor Freight for $25. I mounted it on a jig with a stop to make repetitive cuts faster and more accurate.

Jim,

Same here -works perfectly - and looks identical to the Micromark example.

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

UK source:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100001-Art-Craft-Mini-Cut-Off-Machine-Steel-Cutting-50mm-Mitre-Saw/292743524367?epid=6031289762&hash=item4428dfb00f:g:r-UAAOSwyulbqig~

I was interested to hear the good comments from owners. The ability to set angles with confidence makes it tempting. Maybe later.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

I just ordered the Harbor Freight version, whose price has soared to $33 plus shipping 😉

Has anyone tried thin wall brass telescoping tubing with this? I use that for the tuning slides on the Irish penny whistles I make, and I haven't found a terrific way to cut it cleanly without deforming the tube.

Brewerpaul:

A fine-tooth, metal slotting blade on a modeler's table saw will do it.  Just don't try to cut the full diameter in one pass.  Set the blade height at about 1/4 the tubing's diameter, hold the tube in place on the cross slide and begin the cut.  Then, without advancing the cross slide any further, rotate the tube to finish the cut.

I suppose this technique could be used in an upside down fashion on a cut-off saw by partially lowering the blade.  I don't have a cut-off saw so I've never tried it.

In spite of the small size of the cut, the chips are hot.  Protect your eyes.

56 minutes ago, Brewerpaul said:

I haven't found a terrific way to cut it cleanly without deforming the tube

If the inside of the tube was filled with a tight fitting dowel, the brass may not have the opportunity to bend.

Close examination of Jim's first photo in post #7 shows two or three points for this unit:

It does need to be fixed to a base.

The bottom of the vise clamp is higher than the right side of the cast metal base.  If outboard support of the work piece is desired, the right side flat surface needs to be higher and the cast base surface is not dead flat, so doing the table extension is tricky.

The vise can rotate but the gauge is not exactly accurate.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

1 hour ago, Brewerpaul said:

Has anyone tried thin wall brass telescoping tubing with this?

I do this all the time.  The cut edge needs to be cleaned up both ID and OD.  A wire wheel works fine for the OD and either a file or a knife blade for the ID - keep a blade just for this type of work - you don't want to try using the blade for a fine cut after using on the tube.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS