Strasbourg 1942 by RGL - FINISHED - Hobby Boss - 1/350 - French battleship

So, ordering as you probably well know is problematic during this crisis. So I order up 2 kits with extras and the bulk of this one has arrived, just awaiting some delicious guns from Micromaster in NZ. Best 3D printing I have seen hands down. 

The Big Blue Boy upgrade is Newly produced so this should be one of the first builds. 

I got some actual aa guns that are not a flat piece of PE which I dislike anyway. The plans are from Profile Morskie. I also got some extra aircraft for the hangar. 

The ship was commissioned in 1938 and effectively gone by 1942. Not much to weather 

E75FD4E1-7E39-499C-896E-A2D7352720A8.jpeg

Greg

Strasbourg in Toulon during July 1941. This is a series of photos taken on at least two occasions during the month. Initially a launch approaches the battleship, then another series of three photos depict the ship replenishing from trucks pierside. The last photos show her underway and headed out for a training exercise. Note the armistice-mandated neutrality stripe on Turret II. Another really great aspect of these photos is the detail shown of her stern catapult and Loire 130.

Photos are from Bibliothèque historique de la Ville de Paris.

a.JPG

b.JPG

c.JPG

d.JPG

e.JPG

f.JPG

g.JPG

h.JPG

i.JPG

j.JPG

k.JPG

l.JPG

m.JPG

n.JPG

o.JPG

p.JPG

q.JPG

Greg

Those look fantastic!  Great detail!  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

16 hours ago, RGL said:

They didn’t travel well but nothing is broken!!!

I bought a set of 8"/55 turrets for my Houston from them thus replacing my Model Monkey AM turrets a while ago, but am still waiting for delivery. I am hoping they look as good as in the pictures and your turrets look. Shipping here just about doubled the cost of the turrets. I wish they made the 5"/25 open mounts and the 1.1" guns as well. It would have possibly made the cost a little more bearable, but they don't support US ships that much yet.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Very nice printing of your replacement parts. Interesting that the barrels are printed, too. They don't seem to have the fine ridging, either. Superb stuff.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Nice choice, something French. They did make some lovely shaped vessels

I wonder what the price will be from Micromaster when they deliver to Europe in comparison to Shapeways

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

This looks another very interesting subject Greg, look forward to seeing the model develop.

You mention PE for the guns, is that additional to go on the Micro Master guns?  If so, do they do PE also?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

That is a pretty impressive assembly. Are you going to display it with an empty upper platform and raised high enough to see the lower platform and plane?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Clever use of a double elevator.  I forget if you will build a catapult. Is the floatplane catapulted off or do they lower it to the water and let it fly off the sea-surface?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild