Strasbourg 1942 by RGL - FINISHED - HobbyBoss - 1/350 - PLASTIC - French battleship

Very nice work on the guns Greg; they look great.  What brands of paint are you using for airbrushing these?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

On 8/30/2020 at 6:02 PM, RGL said:

Yes, I’ve noticed the stripes in the blast bags, there is no way I could replicate them without it looking like crap. The lines on the aircraft would be a bit beyond my skill set too! 

I agree. This would be tough. Anyhow, your build being already top notch, such minute details might not matter at all, and are probably best left out.

The stripes on the aircraft tail might indeed be very hard to paint, although they are regular and parallel, so that a careful use of masking tape might work. At such a small scale though, that's probably a job best left for decals, if any can be found in the aftermarket. For the blast bags, one way to address the issue might be to use a Rotring Needle Pen. It provides a steady ink flow, independent of pressure (unlike a brush), and since the blast bags are an irregular surface anyway, drawing a straight line  with a steady hand might not be essential for effect.

On 8/30/2020 at 3:44 AM, Lt. Biggles said:

What’s the story behind having armistice flags? identification? Or were they painted on once France surrendered?

By 'armistice flags', do you mean the tri-colour stripes on the turrets? I don't know if they were the markings given to neutral warships during the Spanish civil war; RN ships had the same at that time.

On 8/31/2020 at 8:42 PM, shipman said:

By 'armistice flags', do you mean the tri-colour stripes on the turrets? I don't know if they were the markings given to neutral warships during the Spanish civil war; RN ships had the same at that time.

RN ships during the Spanish Civil War had similar stripes with the same 3 colours, but in reverse order from the French practice: from the bow, red, then white then blue. Kriegsmarine ships had the German tricolor of red, white and black painted on their forward and stern turrets, which did not prevent Deutschland from being bombed with some loss of life aboard.

3 hours ago, JPBWEB said:

RN ships during the Spanish Civil War had similar stripes with the same 3 colours, but in reverse order from the French practice: from the bow, red, then white then blue. Kriegsmarine ships had the German tricolor of red, white and black painted on their forward and stern turrets, which did not prevent Deutschland from being bombed with some loss of life aboard.

Yep, but the Germans weren't exactly neutral.

6 hours ago, JPBWEB said:

Kriegsmarine ships had the German tricolor of red, white and black

That's the Imperial Kriegsmarine, which is actually black, white, and red. Nazi Germany had red ensign, with a white and black cross, in the middle of the cross a white circle with a swastika. The jack should have been Red with a white circle, and black swastika

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

7 hours ago, cog said:

That's the Imperial Kriegsmarine, which is actually black, white, and red. Nazi Germany had red ensign, with a white and black cross, in the middle of the cross a white circle with a swastika. The jack should have been Red with a white circle, and black swastika

Yes, but we were talking about the neutrality markings on turrets, that in the case of the Kriegsmarine ships used the 3 national colors of Germany: Black, White and Red (red towards the bow on Turret 1, red towards the stern on Turret 2).

Those Micro Master turrets really pop with the finish you applied Greg.  Looking at them now I think they are much more detailed than the turrets they supplied me for the Houston. Mine are still good, better than the Model Monkey turrets, but not as detailed as yours. I hope they keep up the good work and stay in business even though my pocketbook may not be so happy!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I think he will. I’ve gotten some more stuff for my next build but I’m still awaiting the three rear quad turrets from NZ which has taken a month so far but I expect the mail is just a mess with the Covid’s. I think you’ll find the turret is probably just more intricate than a US one. Not better but just more to it. 

Greg

Staggering! The skills of some people on here is just astounding. 😲

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Member of Nautical Research Guild

Current Build : VAPORETTO MOTOBATTELLO VENEZIANO           Finished Build : AIRFIX 1930 BENTLEY

And Later On : PANART VICTORY BOW SECTION                           Finished Build : BILLING BOATS, ST ROCH

And Later On : EBBRO CITROEN DS21 

HOBBIES : Amateur Radio : Motorcycling : Model Making : Painting/Sketching : FlightSims : Photography : Slave to none!

12 hours ago, RGL said:

I think you’ll find the turret is probably just more intricate than a US one. Not better but just more to it. 

I think you are at least partly right, your turrets are much more complex than the US 8" turrets on the Treaty Cruisers. I also took another look at mine under a magnifying glass and also compared them to the Model Monkey set I also have. The details jump out at at you and there is little question they are the most detailed turrets available on the market. If there are others that are better I don't know who makes them.

It does show me how precise your painting is though. In the case of these turrets it would be VERY EASY to cover the finer detail with layers of paint that are just a little too thick. Even your stripes are laid on so thin that they show no extra thickness over the gray of the turret.   

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 hours ago, cog said:

Decals ;) :D

My mistake. I just automatically thought he painted them.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

One interesting point of comparison might be the fine model of Dunkerque, Strasbourg's earlier sister ship, that used to be on display at the Musée de la Marine in Paris. One should bear in mind though that the museum's model is at 1/100 scale, i.e. a much larger, although not necessarily more detailed, model of that graceful ship.

38nH4zS6jMAnYskLczME36_pEBys1S2nHkEyk1EwQodoFkJlTtg_sxBOBVxJk372cYVKCsW1YHEYHdu79JarrQsEJHwIE5KNF1BgbijN1swiVywIP5l7ppQzDh3WjUMjvgcQPQKj9Vnx9_KCpmdOrSNJpJKfhnI2

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that detail is amazing.  

Greg, if you don't mind, I was wondering if you could share any tips on fixing the railings to the model.  Do you use CA?  White glue?  Do you pre-prime and paint before attaching?  I'm close to adding the rails to my 1/700 destroyer and am wondering if there is a proper way to go about it.  The PE is so thin, that I have to do it right the first time or it will look like garbage.  Thanks in advance!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Mike, try canopy cement. It's a thick white glue and has some expansion capability. More forgiving than CA. RC folks use it to glue canopies to their builds. Dries clear, too.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild