Messerschmitt Bf 109 E3 ragove Matchbox 1/32

Welcome to the  "We build anything plastic  and other mediums"   Club,    if it moves  we build  if it dont move we still build it.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

"If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't, paint it." Some may recognize that adage.  ;):D

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

6 minutes ago, Canute said:

"If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't, paint it." Some may recognize that adage.  ;):D

Yep  RN.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I’ve been building models for close to 70 years now. I must have been 8 when I started with some wooden airplane kit. Perhaps Strombecker. Not sure when I did my first plastic one. The quality of plastic kits has improved fantastically over the years.  The prices seem relatively higher to me now, than as a kid.  I recall buying kits for maybe 89 cents to a bit over $1. But a 1959 dollar is only worth about$10 today. And many kits are 3 to 4 times that.  Some are even in the hundreds of dollars.  Are there any young people making models or are we all old!

4 hours ago, ragove said:

Are there any young people making models or are we all old!

My granddaughter was watching me the other day doing some work on my Cutter, after 5 or so minutes walked off saying that she wouldn't have the patience to make a model. 🙄

So I think that unless  it's instant gratification like a video game, they tend not to bother. That said there are younger people modelling. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

23 hours ago, Canute said:

"If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't, paint it." Some may recognize that adage.

Goes hand in hand with "If the Army wanted you to have a wife, she would be issued to you and painted OD."

11 hours ago, ragove said:

Are there any young people making models or are we all old!

Few and far between I suspect, at least in the kinds of models we like to see and build. There may be more "younger" modelers in the RC industry especially planes and cars. But then I look a many pictures here on MSW and many of the collections people seem to have in their houses seem to be comprised of models they built when they were young. SO maybe the new generation are doing the same thing and building the collections of tomorrow that they will be able to show off. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

you get questions like.......what do you do with it when your done?  my two boys........if they can't endlessly manipulate it,  they're not interested ;)   the old days before the internet....and TV........of course saw the biggest influx of modelers.  crafting today is foreign.......why make it when you can buy it already made.   it goes for other things too......like farming,  and things we took for granted,  but were sustaining {I'd give anything to be back on a farm :) }   I hope they know what to do when the word goes to snuff  ;) 

that would be a matchbox thing.........most companies illustrate the painting as the model is built.  here they figure that this would unclutter the process.  little do they realize that it's all the same ;)    I haven't built a Messerschmitt in eons......I'd love to watch :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

As I began to assemble the fuselage I found that the fit was so poor that it wasn’t worth the effort to continue.  The nicely detailed engine wouldn’t fit it the engine compartment for example without removing a number of details.  Since the engine is covered anyway, I figured what the heck. But the pieces of the fuselage that were to fit over the nose guns left a 1/8” gap. At this point, I decided no further effort was warranted. Into the circular file she went. 

Since I was in a Luftwaffe mood, I started an other kit from my stash. A Dornier DO 217K-1. 

Sorry to hear that as she was looking so good.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

agreed.........I'm working on one right now.   not so much the fit,  but the subject was all off........very easy to change ;)    but you are right.......there are some kits out there that aren't worth the time.  I've never done a Matchbox kit.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

They're a challenge. Plus they had very deep panel lines in some of their aircraft kits.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I know a few younger people who build models, but not too many.  

A couple of my coworkers are interested in the ships but claim lack of patience to build one.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

1 hour ago, GrandpaPhil said:

I know a few younger people who build models, but not too many.  

A couple of my coworkers are interested in the ships but claim lack of patience to build one.

That's a very common excuse, Phil.   But it may be valid as some do have an attention deficit  problem.  Or, maybe it's just fear of messing up badly.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

4 hours ago, GrandpaPhil said:

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

That's a very common excuse, Phil. 

Yes it is, When people look at finished builds it's usually the first thing out of their mouths... (or the comment "I always thought they were toys") Kinda as an afterthought they add "Nice job, or beautiful work or the question on "How long did that take?" If you give them a truthful answer then the excuse comes I always wanted to get into model building but I just don't have the time.....

What really gets their attention, is when you start telling them about it in the historical context, what it represents how it came about, what it was used for and so on.... That's when you can tell if they are shining you on....

Sometimes their reactions are quite funny actually when you realize that they want to get as far away as possible....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

6 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

That same guy could probably spend an endless amount of time telling you about his golf game.

Or intimate details of every game his favorite team played last year. To him THAT is history!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

When I lived in Southeastern, Ohio a favorite conversation starter was, “How bout them Ears?”   Ears referring to the West Virginia University’s  Mountaineers football team.  A pipe fitting salesman used to call on us who introduced himself as “beef” which I thought was rather strange until I learned that that had been his nickname on the  Mountaineers football team.  This was supposed to get his customers’ attention.

Roger