New movie Greyhound

stuglo

Just watched "Greyhound" - a new movie about the atlantic convoy 1942. Superb. Must see.

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Unfortunately is only in Apple TV...No Netflix,Prime Video or Hulu.

But,you can opt for their one-week free trial and watch Greyhound for free :)

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

13 hours ago, CDR_Ret said:

Based on the novel "The Good Shepherd" by C.S. Forester.

The author of the fantastic "Hornblower " naval novels, set against the Napoleonic wars

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Fletchers were not available for that duty in 42, the first one built were not commissioned until well into 1941 and were sent to the Pacific where their long legs and weapons could be utilized. From other sites frequented by those who served on those ships, most were disappointed, to many errors and missing details in the computer renderings. Those looking for accuracy were disappointed, those who cared more for the action seemed to enjoy the film. I will not be signing up to watch. The One I rode was the USS Ammen DD 527, her teeth were cut in the Aleutians. 

flamammen.jpg.552c610e098ac3b4ed6911fade44f97e.jpg

Managed to see this film and thoroughly enjoyed the ride. CGI is a game changer. I suspected a Fletcher on Atlantic convoy duty at that time was iffy; thanks for confirming that, Jud. Whatever the detail faults, I felt it was a convincing fictional drama of a much neglected aspect of 'The longest battle'.

Captain Gump,

I suggest taking down that jackstaff while steaming around the North Atlantic in the winter.  You are liable to lose it.

1908337715_DD699.jpg.7a7c8e831a34a4dee052eb4876689a2f.jpg

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I noticed the pink lipstick, but didn't mention anything about that either.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Gonna tell you a story, not very long that took place on a Fletcher Destroyer, (USS Ammen DD 527) chasing Soviet Submarines off the California Coast at Condition 2, all about a potato, a Captain and a kid not long out of boot, who found himself standing the Mid watch in the Main Battery Director manning the Pointers station and also trained the thing by reaching across into that unmanned station. At 17 and no midrats those midwatches are hungry affairs. Coming off a ranch and cooking for myself often , also snacking on raw spuds, the spud locker was my Idea of salvation, I swiped two nice ones. About 0130, one was consumed and it filled me, so the plan to consume all the evidence was foiled, what to do with that other spud? Then it hit me, I was on the top of the superstructure and no one was looking, had control of the training mechanism and manual movement made no noise. Trained her around to Starboard, opened the overhead hatch, climbed on the seat and let fly. falling off the seat as I let go, spud ricichead off the hatch and headed toward the bridge wing where sudden surprised talking commenced, the wheel on that hatch never turned so fast and the director was soon pointing forward. I assumed the attitude of a hiding mouse, hoping I would not be traced as the culprit. All was well until the next morning when I found out that spud had hit the Captain on the head, the Repair Party that was mustered near the spud locker were restricted to the ship until the guilty came forward and owned up to his eval deed. Could not let that stand so I told the Chief Boatswain Mate what had happened. No one suspected me and could have let it fade in to history but because I didn't and the Captain and the Chief Boatswain Mate had a sense of humor, I escaped without punishment,other than all aboard knew about my great potato caper. Took some photos of the director hatch, flight path and target area, this was 1960, 60 years ago, how time flies.

1402189888_PotatoCaper.png.63a039095079d3e6280bab4c7bf970ea.png

Saw the trailer, so disappointed. To much obvious CGI in my humble opinion.

Will wait for blueray or freebee on the tube.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

On 7/29/2020 at 8:58 PM, thibaultron said:

have to wait for the DVD

It’s a streaming movie, there aren’t going to be any DVDs.  Do they still make those. Movies made for streaming services won’t appear on network TV, not how it works. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Not sure about all the harsh judgements and concerns about accuracy, seems silly. It’s a movie. They used the USS Bainbridge because it was available for filming. It’s a 98 minute streaming movie, of course there is CGI involved. 

I read the book recently, it was not as good as the movie.  The movie is an exceptionally well told tale about leadership under extreme pressure, if you missed that point I suggest you watch it again. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

9 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

It’s a streaming movie, there aren’t going to be any DVDs.  Do they still make those.

They do....
Release date not set yet.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hadn't heard about Bainbridge. My understanding is that they used the Kidd. https://www.military.com/off-duty/2020/07/07/true-story-of-uss-kidd-ship-used-film-greyhound.html

I enjoyed the movie even though they used a Fletcher and square bridged one at that. That left me joyfully proud of myself that I had caught the error. Still, I thought they captured the spirit of the Battle of the Atlantic, consistent with my reading of "The Cruel Sea", even with some artistic license.

Rich 

On 7/30/2020 at 10:14 PM, glbarlow said:

Not sure about all the harsh judgements and concerns about accuracy, seems silly. It’s a movie. They used the USS Bainbridge because it was available for filming. It’s a 98 minute streaming movie, of course there is CGI involved. 

I read the book recently, it was not as good as the movie.  The movie is an exceptionally well told tale about leadership under extreme pressure, if you missed that point I suggest you watch it again. 

I feel similarly.   I know next to nothing about WWII Naval warfare or ships, at least compared to the Age of Sail.   I too felt the movie was really more about pressures of leadership, vigilance, and commitment to duty.   The noise maker and radio hijacking bit was an interesting twist if only just a thematic element and not something that ever actually happened.    It was exceptionally heavy on CGI, which I noticed early on but quickly forgot about as the characters and momentum of the story was exhilarating.   I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.   It is, after all, a movie - not a treatise or history lesson.   

It will eventually be available to rent either on DVD or elsewhere, it was only released on Apple TV due to COVID.   Expect to see it at your local Redbox.  

On 7/31/2020 at 7:03 AM, glbarlow said:

It’s a streaming movie, there aren’t going to be any DVDs.  Do they still make those. Movies made for streaming services won’t appear on network TV, not how it works. 

The movie is all over the Internet, if you know where to look. I just watched in my PC, way in the outback of Normandy. We've got more cows here then people.

The book which can be found on the Internet is much  better, it shows the charater interactions amongst the players & various players thoughts abut the other players, something the movie leave out.

Richard

Richard

Current build :  Victory cross section / DeAgostini, Lady Eleanor  Vanguard Models 

Other builds :   N scale computer controlled model railroad

Nothing better to do today than solve the reversed "CAPT" on Hank's helmet.  The mole on Hank's chin is on his right side in the trailer photo.  One brief close-up shot in an action scene in the trailer shows the mole on his left side.  Also, the action scene in the trailer the still came from is shown.  "CAPT" is not reversed in the action scene.  For some reason, the trailer still-photo was reversed.

1 minute ago, Charles Green said:

still-photo was reversed.

Not the best example but as a photographer I know that photos used for trailer or magazine covers are often reversed just to accommodate the text placement - someone should have noticed the reversed letters on the helmet, that could have been easily reversed back.

Regards,

Glenn

18 minutes ago, Suzdal said:

book which can be found on the Internet is much  better

I read the book after seeing the movie, I found it tedious. The movie is 98 minutes of action, the book dwelled on and on and on about inner thoughts.  I'm generally a fan of the book over the movie and of Forrester's books - not this time.

Regards,

Glenn

On 7/31/2020 at 2:13 AM, Blue Ensign said:

In my opinion you can't beat The Cruel Sea, for a realistic  depiction of the Atlantic convoy story. A stark depiction of a corvette in the uboat war.

B.E.

And Das Boot (book and movie, not the recent mini series) can’t be beat for its stark depiction of conditions on the other side.

v/r,

Keith