turangi

Emma C. Berry by Turangi Model Shipways 1:32

I am starting to build this kit as my first foray into a POF model so bear with this beginner. I am included a picture of the box but not the contents as I neglected to take a photo. I probably won't do a step by step log as it will bore the more experienced members and much of it is self explanatory, instead I will concentrate upon my challenges and mistakes and will probably asking the experienced members frequently for Help! There is a rather impressive amount of wood which I did inventory and label by size and checked off all the other items.

I started by building the keel section per the plans and instructions and it was quite straight forward. I then hopefully correctly marked the frame locations on that assembly. I next turned to the building board, marked a center line and also the frame locations. Next I built the lofting jig for the frame installation and took pains to be sure it it was square and plumb to the board. I thought the frame was critical to the proper frame placement so went beyond the instructions by gluing and pinning the runners and added reinforcement to the rear of the frame. I also copied a metric ruler being sure it reproduced at 100% and glued it to the top of the jig, marked the centerline so I could transfer the measurements from the plans to the ruler on the frame, I think I wore out two pair of eyeglasses to be sure it was right😯. So it begins, I will endeavour to to present my problems and mistakes and hopefully a few successes. I suspect it will be slow going, like me at my age! Hope someone may find it useful or at least good for a laugh at my beginner mistakes. As always, any comments, suggestions or criticism would be very welcomed and appreciated!    

DSC_3309.JPG

DSC_3315.JPG

DSC_3306.JPG

DSC_3323.JPG

DSC_3321.JPG

DSC_3318.JPG

I like this little model, so I’ll pull up a chair and follow along. Looks like you are off to a good start.

You are off to a good start on your Emma C. Berry.  I like your build board and lofting jig.  These will be a great help as you move forward with your build.

Time for an update, I started installing the frames and it was going swimmingly well until I reached frame #4. All the frames were installed per the instructions which emphasized that the need to be installed to the correct height above the baseboard to allow for a proper deck run.. I installed the port frame to the required height and it fell well above the rabbet so I added a shim down to the rabbet. On the starboard I added and extension to the top of the frame to meet the required height, neither worked out well. The rabbet at that point is a continuation of the top of the keel so it was not a layout or cutting error when I made the rabbet. I am now convinced the laser cut frame #4 is incorrectly cut as shipped on the matrix. It needs a few millimeters bore on the bottom end following the same curves. I have included a pic of the matrix and the frame is quite clearly cut to short. The correct course of action would be to tear both out and make new ones but I really don't have the expertise or tools to do that so I will think on it a while, perhaps shims will help? Any advice would be gratefully welcomed! This seems to be a known problem based upon post 27 in this build log 

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

I seemed to have messed up the previous post, my computer skills are apparently about equal to my modeling skills! The first four frames attach directly to the keel assembly but the next several join in the middle and are glued to the top of the keel. This seemed a very weak area to me so for those that didn't have a laser cut "floor" included I reinforced the joint with strips of wood and added temporary to maintain the width. Hopefully they will not interfere with future bits to be installed, I couldn't see any issues on the plans but time will tell. An interesting issue, the building frame was too tall to support the top of the frames as I approached midship so I added another piece to accommodate the superior tops of the frames. I measured the width of the frames on the plans and made tic marks on the jig and also for the height, work quite well. One hint, the keelson rests upon t he frames above the keel so be sure to level and smooth that area, much easier before the frame installation than after as I learned!

DSC_3328.JPG

DSC_3329.JPG

DSC_3330.JPG

DSC_3331.JPG

DSC_3334.JPG

DSC_3335.JPG

DSC_3338.JPG

DSC_3340.JPG

DSC_3342.JPG

I have also started Emma C. Berry a short while ago. I am now ready to begin on the frame work. Thank you for pointing out the problems that you encountered at this phase. I shall try to keep them in mind to avoid the problems. I will watch with interest as you progress and maybe gain some insight what is to come...

Time for an update on my snail's pace progress. I complete installing all the frames up to the point that the keelson attaches going up to the stern and thought it a good time to install the keelson. I checked all the frames prior to installing the keelson and found one seriously out of alignment, it was the one frame I experimented driving a brass pin through the frame and into the keel as I was rather concerned with the tenuous connection between the frame halves and the keel. The pin wandered off path and pulled the frame seriously out of alignment. I managed to remove and reset the frame without serious damage. I still suspect some shimming may be in my future for other areas.  

I test fitted the keelson and it was like a rocking horse, no doubt to my my improper sanding rather than a design defect. All frames were set to the proper height per the plans but the error was due to my improper finishing of the landing area for the keelson. At that point modifying the landing area on the frames was near impossible so I modified the keelson as seen in the photos by removing material as needed. I established the correct attachment level fore and aft for the the keelson and removed material as needed on the keelson to ensure a tight fit on the frames, seemed to work well. 

I used one hour setting epoxy to attach the keelson as I had no doubt I could not work fast enough using the 5 minute variety. I applied the adhesive to each frame/keelson juncture and also to the forward end of the keelson and used a brass pin at the aft end to secure it in addition to the epoxy. I used rubber bands in the middle to apply pressure. This was my first time using 1 hour epoxy and I was sure I had mixed it improperly while waiting for it to cure, I put it out in the hot sun and it cured rock hard! I am amazed how it made the structure so much more rigid and stable!

A couple of observations: this is my first POF build and I find it a quantum leap more challenging than my 2 previous builds! It teaches the importance of attention to detail!  It is completely enjoyable and sure gives me the greatest admiration for the members who scratch build POF models!!!!         

DSC_3359.JPG

DSC_3366.JPG

DSC_3361.JPG

DSC_3363.JPG

DSC_3367.JPG