Santa Maria by Emmet - Amati - 1:65-Columbus Caravelle 1492 -Third Wooden Ship Build

When I decided to go away from tapering and cut in "center pieces" I was not sure if it was a good idea.  Now I feel it worked well.  I believe it saved some effort and gave me a lot of experience cutting in. The middle of the hulls on Columbus's ship are big compared to the bow and stern. 

The garboard did fit in quite well as shown here.

607846108_portgarboard.jpg.5617fb00ddf78bce98eb0724ab59cf63.jpg

Capped off the bulwarks and decided to make a mockup of the upper deck and the cabin.

If anyone sees this maybe they can tell me that it is possible to laser cut pieces so far out of the expected dimension.

I checked out other builds and it appears that I will have to plane down the middle deck so that it aligns with the bulwarks. It seems crazy to  have to change the given plywood pieces. They might just as well have left it up to the builder to make the deck.

90890567_cabinmockup.jpg.84fc03071972ec2daf8c9243438f1db7.jpg

Just for laughs

shipyard.jpg.8819444db073e3d9cbf3418dd90b93a2.jpg

Edited by Emmet

On 8/11/2020 at 3:44 AM, Lapinas said:

Hey, fellow Amati Santa Maria build here. Pay attention to the bottom line of "ribs", especially where garboard plank sits. By raising frames to get an even deck level line you make it harder to prepare frames for planking. In some places I had to add extra wood strips in order to have an even surface for planking. Honestly, I have regretted lifting frames... :D

So, given hindsight now. It would have been better to line the top of the bulkhead with a full width strip to match the deck?

On 12/2/2020 at 8:54 AM, Emmet said:

Thanks Keith of Clearway. And thanks for the tip on the surform. It works well for these walnut planks.  I had that tool buried amongst my 

tools for everything you can think of box.  I ordered a new blade.  Interesting how a tool like that is the same for, perhaps, 30 or 40 years and you can still get a part for it.

I am also wondering now if the plank arrangement for the 1st hull was a good idea. It was easier but I need to apply the 2nd layer over it before I am sure.  I still like the way Lapinas did his Santa Maria. I should add that heating the glue makes it cure faster and I am hoping that will help when I get to the area of the hull where clamping is a problem.

1888781803_surformbetter.jpg.a1f65c1ca45db1de6bebf4849a22a747.jpg

1264821438_Planksandsurform.jpg.6d17db0e9b9ff06e0540b7350a826d2f.jpg

Have you considered a very small hobby or block plane?

On 12/19/2020 at 10:00 AM, Emmet said:

Thanks for looking in. This is a stage where you must be patient and work are small details in total acceptance of how things are less than perfect.

284083410_sandingwheel.jpg.f75765920ba4996aed6348571f118b5e.jpg

1064692769_Finishedsanding.jpg.66af105215dc926eb7d240e1205f25e4.jpg

I have wondered why you chose not to wet the planks and dry them to shape with a plank bender and iron? I have seen this used on many other builds making the mounting of the planks much easier.

Thanks for looking in. I have observed your work and think you do a great job.

I have used the plank bender on Victory but find it is not difficult to bend these boards.  I guess I am also trying other methods (the plank bender burned out on me). I would not use my Admiral's iron. I do not want to be assassinated. Perhaps I will buy a small iron.

Interestingly I bought the Amati tool and it is not as good ( I am guessing I may never use it again) as using an old set of pruning shears that have a blade on one leg and a flat surface on the other.

In general I tried some different ways of doing things on this ship. I built the La Nina last year. I can imagine la Pinta will be net year. I go south for the winter and leave Victory at home in New Hampshire.

I like the challenges in ship building. It keeps me busy. The holidays, on the other hand, had me occupied.  We just took down our decorations. I slept soundly last night.😏

On 12/27/2020 at 9:25 PM, Emmet said:

Capped off the bulwarks and decided to make a mockup of the upper deck and the cabin.

If anyone sees this maybe they can tell me that it is possible to laser cut pieces so far out of the expected dimension.

I checked out other builds and it appears that I will have to plane down the middle deck so that it aligns with the bulwarks. It seems crazy to  have to change the given plywood pieces. They might just as well have left it up to the builder to make the deck.

90890567_cabinmockup.jpg.84fc03071972ec2daf8c9243438f1db7.jpg

Just for laughs

shipyard.jpg.8819444db073e3d9cbf3418dd90b93a2.jpg

I have not observed plywood pieces being out of dimensions as much. It need like 1-2 mm of sanding tops. I did the sanding using regular sand paper.

Since in your case the situation is slightly different I suggest taking part of the plywood from the center, and then sand the outer edge closely following the shape of the ship. It will reduce your troubles in the future stages.

Keep on the progress! :)

EDIT: I just saw your update while it took me 2 hours to finally post my message! Looking great! It is really satisfying seeing the ship taking the shape.

Edited by Lapinas
new post from author

Thanks Lapinas

Just to follow up about the upper deck. I fixed the deck securely together with masking tape and mounted the cabin. I stuck the mast in to help with fitting correctly. Then I used a surform to plane the deck to match the lower deck.  I probably took off about 1/8" on both sides at the most forward point.  It was a hairy job.

I finished the masts now because as I said before I am trying to leave some things in Jersey. I have even less of a workshop down in Florida.

There is a lot to do before the masts will be finalized.

1470920556_mastsset.jpg.5fa6771facc128b5023ea978b5c4a7ad.jpg

I will be gone for a few days. A friend passed away and we are visiting his spouse. It's a crazy time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Emmet,

I am revisiting your build on this one because it's made by Amati.  This ship, the Pinta, and La Niña are on my list to build. But Latina also produces the same three. You are also building another one I would like to do. Can you give me a good comparison of these two companies in their kits? Why did you select Amati for this vs Latina? You mentioned one problem already. Is this a consistent problem?  I have options to purchase this model from either company. And I will want to keep all three Ship builds from the same company for consistentcy. I have fair  to some advanced skills in model building and woodworking. I haven't done wooden ships. But I have done plastic and other detailed work. And with a full wood shop and other hobby tools I don't worry about having to build parts if necessary. But I would like a true heads up evaluation before committing. Thanks.

It is obvious that you have acquired excellent skills over the years. I enjoy looking at your work. 

I bought Amati because I did not know any better.  I built La Pinta  last year and I was not overly happy with the supplies but the instructions were pretty good. 

This year I bought Santa Maria and the materials are much better but the instructions are not good.  The scale is not accurate and it is a good thing I did one last year when I was new.  Without prior knowledge I would have had a bad time. I am estimating all the time.  I bought both from Amazon.  

I Plan to build La Nina next year and I was reading that Columbus' original La Nina had lateen sails and then changed them to square sails in the Canary Islands because the squares were better heading west across the open ocean.  They put one lateen sail on the stern to make it easier to sail along coasts.  Apparently the Portuguese had used lateen sails along the coast of Africa because you could steer better.  So I am wondering about building it. I see Amazon has Artesania Latina's La Nina with lateen sails. Then again I think I will buy La Nina from Cornwall next year. 

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?page=search&SS=La+Nina&PR=-1&TB=O&ACTION=Go!

I am also doing HMS Victory and I bought that from Cornwall in England-the price was right (even with fast shipping) and the materials and specs are good. Cornwall was recommended by Clearway on this site. He is a guy with a lot of experience and you should look at his models of Victory as well as HMS Terror. 

I hope I have been some help.  I am still on the road to our winter place.

6 hours ago, Emmet said:

It is obvious that you have acquired excellent skills over the years. I enjoy looking at your work. 

I bought Amati because I did not know any better.  I built La Pinta  last year and I was not overly happy with the supplies but the instructions were pretty good. 

This year I bought Santa Maria and the materials are much better but the instructions are not good.  The scale is not accurate and it is a good thing I did one last year when I was new.  Without prior knowledge I would have had a bad time. I am estimating all the time.  I bought both from Amazon.  

I Plan to build La Nina next year and I was reading that Columbus' original La Nina had lateen sails and then changed them to square sails in the Canary Islands because the squares were better heading west across the open ocean.  They put one lateen sail on the stern to make it easier to sail along coasts.  Apparently the Portuguese had used lateen sails along the coast of Africa because you could steer better.  So I am wondering about building it. I see Amazon has Artesania Latina's La Nina with lateen sails. Then again I think I will buy La Nina from Cornwall next year. 

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?page=search&SS=La+Nina&PR=-1&TB=O&ACTION=Go!

I am also doing HMS Victory and I bought that from Cornwall in England-the price was right (even with fast shipping) and the materials and specs are good. Cornwall was recommended by Clearway on this site. He is a guy with a lot of experience and you should look at his models of Victory as well as HMS Terror. 

I hope I have been some help.  I am still on the road to our winter place.

Thanks for your reply. I looked at the Cornwall site and was very impressed. The Caldercraft models look to be the Cadillac of ship models. Maybe when I hit the lottery for some of those! So if Amazon has the same model here available, why go to Cornwall?  You like the snowbird routine?  We moved to the Catskills from L.I. because we like the seasons. I actually hate NY and never imagined living here.  That was before I met my wife online and she was born and raised on Long Island and still living there. Oh well. 

We moved from NW Jersey to NH about 1985. We had an opportunity to build a house there.  We enjoyed the winters there until we got to be 70 years old. Since then we go south during the winter.  We have a house in Jersey in a senior community and see doctors there. After that we head south about mid January.  We rent a house there north of Tampa. We also visit friends.  

Victory was quite a bit cheaper including shipping and I  also bought some balsawood that was cheaper. It was about a hundred bucks different. It may be that the price will not be different when it comes to Columbus ships.  Amazon does not sell serious models of Victory ships.  This stuff gets expensive depending on the ships. 

6 hours ago, Emmet said:

We moved from NW Jersey to NH about 1985. We had an opportunity to build a house there.  We enjoyed the winters there until we got to be 70 years old. Since then we go south during the winter.  We have a house in Jersey in a senior community and see doctors there. After that we head south about mid January.  We rent a house there north of Tampa. We also visit friends.  

Victory was quite a bit cheaper including shipping and I  also bought some balsawood that was cheaper. It was about a hundred bucks different. It may be that the price will not be different when it comes to Columbus ships.  Amazon does not sell serious models of Victory ships.  This stuff gets expensive depending on the ships. 

Many years ago I had relatives in Littleton, NH we would visit.  My wife's in-laws from her first marriage lived here down the road and would go to FL. for winters also. I kind of like that idea too. They had a trailer home in a gated senior citizens park. I have only picked up my kits on eBay. And a couple at antique and years sales. Often the sellers don't know the real value of them. I bought the Beagle for $25 basically NIB. I was surprised at how expensive some models are! Serious money! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

I have been traveling around Florida for the past month. Some for vaccinations, some for a broken tooth cap and most for fun.  Among other places we went to Marco Island and St. Augustine, Fl. and Cumberland Island, Ga.  We are back in Hudson and getting ready for St. Patrick's Day. On the 17th we are having some young people for corned beef along with seniors who must be double shotted or have J&J's single shot.  We are delivering to friends who have not been vaccinated.

Rob,

We are staying in Florida as long as possible but have to be back to Jersey in mid April for some doctor stuff. Hopefully we do not have to stay in Jersey long and can be back in New Hampshire by mid May.  We have to be flexible because doctor decisions keep us around sometimes.

Let me say that the Santa Maria is a difficult ship. Being away from building takes time to recover and you have to do a big review of what you are doing.

foreccastle.jpg.00ab6a1fb6b26f8b0d352d1f2b48f30b.jpg