German 80 cm K(E) Railway Gun "Dora" by CDW - Hobby Boss - 1:72 Scale

CDW

I have also wanted to buy / build this kit.
But my cabinets are almost full :(
I follow with great interest. Good luck 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Amazing project!!  If my mental metric conversion math is correct, the real thing would have had a bore of 32in.  That’s twice the bore of the main armament of an Iowa Class Battleship.  Am I correct?  Was this actually built and used?

Railroad guns are fascinating.  The museum at the Washington Navy Yard used to have one of the ones built for service in France during World War I.  It was built around a Battleship gun- 16 or 14in.  If a kit for one of the WW I guns was available I would be tempted.

Roger

3 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

Amazing project!!  If my mental metric conversion math is correct, the real thing would have had a bore of 32in.  That’s twice the bore of the main armament of an Iowa Class Battleship.  Am I correct?  Was this actually built and used?

Railroad guns are fascinating.  The museum at the Washington Navy Yard used to have one of the ones built for service in France during World War I.  It was built around a Battleship gun- 16 or 14in.  If a kit for one of the WW I guns was available I would be tempted.

Roger

Actually yes it was... Schwerer Gustav 31.5" gun... (Schwerer Dora was the second one built) Designed in the '30's to be used for the destruction of the heavy forts of the Maginot line....

Very impressive piece... 

Hitler-gustav-railway-gun.thumb.jpg.54700d1bbb15e6a4d8f1b8a309c7d67b.jpg

Gustav was used in several locations during WWII and was destroyed by the germans to prevent it from falling into soviet hands. Dora was used during the siege of Leningrad along with "Gustav". ("Dora" was also set up at Stalingrad and ready to fire when it was abruptly withdrawn to prevent it's capture by the encircling Russians) They are the largest and heaviest artillery ever used in combat.... (both the British and Americans had 36" mortars during WWII but they were test pieces and never actually deployed) Dora fired a 7 ton shell to 54 miles and was capable of piercing 7 meters of reinforced concrete or 1 meter of face hardened armor steel. The design's greatest success I read from a book a fail to remember the title of, was destroying a concrete underground ammo bunker that was 92 ft underground..... (and an underwater ammo depot under 32 ft of water and 10 ft of reinforced concrete)

They were building an even larger gun called the "Langer Gustav" which was abandoned after RAF bombing of it's Essen building yard damaged it.

Reminds me of the railroad guns the US Army Artillery Corps used during WWI.... (the largest of which was an 18" bore)

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

16 minutes ago, CDW said:

A gun like this begs for a diorama. 

Yep!   thoroughly  agree.👍

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1/35th scale?

Gustav

A real shame they don't have one in stock..... {chuckle}

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Saw this bad boy at Aberdeen Proving Grounds and the shell at the museum at Picatinny Arsenal when I was stationed there in the late 60s.  Little David mortar.  I don't think it ever saw service. 

How did Anzio Annie fit in with these large bore guns?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Awesome model.........always wanted one but never pulled the trigger :o  I be watch'in this one!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Didn't they have a WWI Paris Gun at Aberdeen?  Or am I thinking of a different gun?   I was there mid-70's on trip to validate a manual I wrote for the M-901 and recall seeing some super long gun.  Might have the so-called "Atomic Cannon".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

According to Wikipedia Anzio Annie was at Aberdeen and since 2005 has been on display at Ft. Lee, Petersburg, VA.

I believe that the American railway guns that fought in France during WW I were actually Navy, using 14in battleship tubes and Navy crews.  Again, according to Wikipedia the Army built some guns using the Navy barrels on improved carriages but they had not been shipped to Europe when the war ended.

The gun with it’s carriage on display at the Washington Navy Yard s one of the 14in guns that fought in France.  It is impressive.

Roger

Thanks Roger for the info.  So it must have been Anzio Annie then that I saw.   They had so much stuff there it just incredible.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, Roger Pellett said:

According to Wikipedia Anzio Annie was at Aberdeen and since 2005 has been on display at Ft. Lee, Petersburg, VA.

I believe that the American railway guns that fought in France during WW I were actually Navy, using 14in battleship tubes and Navy crews.  Again, according to Wikipedia the Army built some guns using the Navy barrels on improved carriages but they had not been shipped to Europe when the war ended.

The gun with it’s carriage on display at the Washington Navy Yard s one of the 14in guns that fought in France.  It is impressive.

Roger

You are correct Roger, the largest gun used by the Artillery corps was a 14" railroad gun, they had five battalions of them two were attached to the French Army and the other three to the AEF.... The largest gun we ever actually built and deployed was a seacoast weapon. 16" Bore and it was installed on the western approaches to the Panama Canal..... There was consideration and plans made to build an 18" weapon but it never came to fruition cause it became readily apparent after WWI that the airplane's ability to range hundreds of miles behind the lines delivering bombs really made railway artillery practically useless... (but we had them until the late '30's)

Here is the 1917 manual of what the Army had in 1917..... the largest being that aforesaid 16"er...

Description of 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16 Inch Seacoast Guns and Their Breach Mechanisms  US Army Ordnance Department--pdf

There are a bunch of links on the web about the Navy and their service in France during the war with the Railroad Artillery Battalions.... A very interesting read.... (and some short videos as well)

EG

Quote:

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Didn't they have a WWI Paris Gun at Aberdeen?

No, the Versailles treaty required the Germans to turn over a complete "Paris Gun" to the allies but they never complied with it. And the allies, with the occupation of Germany, never found one.... all that was discovered/captured was the mount for one near Chateau Thierry. searches of the government archives never came up with the plans either... The Germans very effectively destroyed almost everything about those guns....

They did build a couple of updated versions which they used in WWII to shell southern England across the channel several times, they were captured by american forces shortly after D-Day... (that might be what you saw but I can find no record of them ever being put on display) 

And Atomic Annie was on display at Aberdeen for many many years....

Quote:

This railway gun has probably been in action one time. At the siege of Sevastopol in 1942.
It fired 48 rounds in 5 days.

20200726_114754.thumb.jpg.b9df74231aef0b4baf31fa79e87e8564.jpg

An idea of the size of the projectile and the charge

20200726_114339.thumb.jpg.ccfbaec6685a8b633dbde8738b49aca0.jpg

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

7 hours ago, Egilman said:

They did build a couple of updated versions which they used in WWII to shell southern England across the channel several times, they were captured by american forces shortly after D-Day... (that might be what you saw but I can find no record of them ever being put on display) 

A 21cm K 12 (E)  (the specs are from other cannons)

20200726_141232.thumb.jpg.40c46b26e90d2be8fd26ad03dbfbca3c.jpg

Regards, Patrick

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anzio Annie got it's name from the seige at Anzio Italy..........I believe the Germans actually named it Richard.  Richard and Leopold were sent over to Italy to aidse in the seige........they expended their ammo,  but failed to  do much damage before they were moved to Cititaveccia, ahead of the allied forces.  when they saw that they couldn't get the railguns out of Italy,  they scuttled them........Richard was badly damaged,  but Leopold had minor damage.  Leopold was brought to the U.S. and on display in Aberdeen, Maryland.....but there is another K5 on display in Petersberg Va.

might be a mix up........Leopold might have been named Anzio Annie,  and Richard was named Anzio express.  these are the nicknames that the allies called them,  because of the sound the shells generated.  I bookmarked some sites if you would like them.  I need to get back to Leopold one of these days :blush:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

can you imagine..........if that gun can actually fire! :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

5 hours ago, CDW said:

His neighbors would be a tad unhappy methinks.

Maybe not... depends if he was firing at street racers at night.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: