Greetings from California!

Hello all,

I have been a lurker here on the forum for a while now but this is my first post. After perusing the phenomenal workmanship on display here, I have decided to take the plunge and get started on my first wooden ship build. As a little background, I have been building 1:32 scale plastic aircraft for a number of years now, with a preference for WWI and WWII aircraft. However, I also have a handful of modern aircraft, armor and ships, including the 1:144 USS Fletcher and the 1:200 USS Iowa and HMS Hood. 

Having consciously ignored the devil sitting on my shoulder prodding me to start with something ridiculously complex, I've decided to start my wooden ship building career with the 1:32 Amati/Victory Models Fifie. My hope is that this build will teach me some of the necessary skills before I get a start on the Vanguard Models HMS Speedy. Ultimately, I'd like to work up the Amati/Victory HMS Vanguard, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon or the fabled Amati Victory once its released to the public, understanding that it will take a lot of years to attain the necessary skill set before I can properly tackle one of these behemoths! As I have successfully hooked my oldest son on plastic aircraft modeling, I also plan to continue building large scale planes as a change of pace and to hopefully continue fostering his interest in the hobby. 

I recently moved to the Bay Area and was VERY happy to learn that Ages of Sail is just a short 25-minute drive away! 

Thanks for taking the time to read my story and I look forward to getting a build log of the Fifie going in the near future!

Ben

:piratebo5:welcome to MSW, good luck with your Fifie, and please do start a build log as you will find you get plenty of advice and support from the other members on here as they're a friendly bunch. 

Above all have fun and enjoy your build. 😉👍

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Hi Ben, Welcome to Model Ship World.  Your experience in building plastic models should help you when you start your Amati Fifie.  It looks like it is a good model as I have read the review of this kit on MSW.    You might want to check out the Hyde Street Pier Model Shipwrights.  It is a club that meets at the San Francisco Maritime National Historic Park.  Here is a link to their website:  https://hspms.org/

I look forward to following your build log once you get it up and running.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome, Ben, from a former resident of the Real Northern California (Humboldt) but currently hanging my hat in the Land of Hot Rain.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome to MSW, Ben.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW from across the pond, hoping to see the fifie.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Ben

This is great, the third lurker becoming a member - We are happy to see you took the step joining us.
Having Ages of Sail so close can be dangerous....😇, hope your account is in good standing.

Anyway, the choice of Fifie is excellent. She is beautiful and should be simple yet complex to give you the knowledge to build Amati's Victory.
:sign:

Here's another current build log to help you.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry