Model Airways Sopwith Build Log

I am building the Model Airways 1/16th Sopwith Camel. So far I have built the engine and shaped and installed the Propeller. I did a "black wash" of the cast metal pieces after the completion prior to installing the prop. I did shape the Prop by only sanding with a palm sander. Whittling was not necessary. 

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

enginewithprop.jpg

30 minutes ago, rayschilke@comcast.net said:

The wings are next and look to pose a challenge due to being time consuming. 

Pullin up a chair here.....

Nice work Ray.... Engine/prop looks like the real deal.... will be following the rest of the build....

EG

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

12 minutes ago, rayschilke@comcast.net said:

Wing spars are gonna be a slow go.

Not slow brother, tedious is the word, we understand.....  multiple repetitive tasks..... Been there, done that, used to doing that...... {chuckle} Take your time my friend we will still be here...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Take your time. This is a hobby, not work. :D

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I’m pulling up a chair too. I’ve had this kit in my stash for a few years now - one day.....

You’ve made a nice start Ray.

Switched up to a ceiling tile for a background for pins. Much better than wood. Spars are coming along. It is nice to have this hobby as a back up for cloudy days when I can't do star photography. Spar progress is going nice but it does get hindered by an occasional beer break. I have begun to use kids stick glue to just hold the spars to the plans to just to hold their place on the plans. It is nice because they just pop right off when it will be time to put in the wing spars and metal parts. 

ceiling tile spars.jpg

spars tacked with stick glue.jpg

I am enjoying your build log.  That was a good tip on using a glue stick to hold your parts.  Astrophotography must be an amazing hobby.  You must have quite a setup to see deep into outer space.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Superb Asto work,   I too used to have a dabble  at DSO  objects  managed a few years back to get these Two  -  Seven Sisters  and  Jupiter and moons.

OC.

Seven Sisters.jpg

Jupiter and His moons slightly closer.jpg

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

8 hours ago, Ryland Craze said:

I am enjoying your build log.  That was a good tip on using a glue stick to hold your parts.  Astrophotography must be an amazing hobby.  You must have quite a setup to see deep into outer space.

Thanks sir. I have a bit of change into my telescope gear. I have a wife that forgives my hobby costs because I ignore her sewing costs lol

Greats shots. Thanks for the compliment. It is a hobby that really is all about what equipment you have. Tough to learn everything as every aspect from tracking, capture, and processing seems like it's own college course. Keeps the brain young though. This plane is about to be a challenge with cable rigging. No do overs like throwing out a bad picture file. But I do have another sopwith build log in this group to reference. It is a good source for me and a blessing to have😀

2 minutes ago, rayschilke said:

Greats shots. Thanks for the compliment. It is a hobby that really is all about what equipment you have. Tough to learn everything as every aspect from tracking, capture, and processing seems like it's own college course. Keeps the brain young though. This plane is about to be a challenge with cable rigging. No do overs like throwing out a bad picture file. But I do have another sopwith build log in this group to reference. It is a good source for me and a blessing to have😀

Its great having you showing us all your work Ray, please continue to its an inspiration  and a pleasure to watch.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I just took a seat for this build. Great astrophotography too!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Getting ready to insert the spars and wing leading edges and wasn't happy with my ceiling tile as a pin base. I repurposed 2 of my wife's cloth fabric bolt cardboard inserts. They are a perfect length and accept pins readily and hold tight. Also used green painters tape to hold the plans to them as the green tape holds but comes off the plans without ripping them. Wax paper laid out and ready to put ribs on and do 400 grit final sanding of each part. At least I am done with almost all of the wing ribs. They were tedious. 

repurposed.jpg

waxed paper.jpg

ribs ready for insert.jpg

looks good :)   when I build balsa planes,   I use a pine board to pin the plans to.   it's pretty soft wood and I cover it with clear plastic wrap to protect the plans.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch