Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Thanks guys, as always for the encouraging comments!

On 9/15/2020 at 2:27 AM, James H said:

Maybe I missed something, but how are you making those planks look so weathered? I really like that appearance. 

James...I'm using some of the walnut that was intended for the second layer of hull planking (there's a lot of it) but made sure to select the most diverse strips I could find so each board wasn't identical to its neighbor. I'm guessing these boards probably got beaten up and replaced quite often. I also found that flipping over boards from the same strip created a nice variety. With a very light sanding and a subtle whitewash (acrylic paint thinned to maybe 10% opacity) the results seemed reasonably believable. I'll be adding some "fishy" grime as well when the hold is fully assembled and detailed. 

 

Speaking of the hold...I probably should have pointed out that I'm actually building it outside the hull and will install it permanently later as a mini-model of its own. It's one of the very few advantages of cutting your boat in half...there's plenty of access from below! I'll also need to fabricate a rope room given that that hatch will be wide open on my build. 

 

fifie_56.jpg.f2cb5a8d1b03aa6b94c8950d2475d934.jpg

 

I've also added these entirely speculative ventilation "windows/passages" that would allow our intrepid crew to pass from one end of the boat to the other without having to venture out into that nasty North Sea weather. They'll be covered by board and batten shutters. I may leave one ajar to give a little glimpse into the cabin. Again, this area will be so cluttered with gear and fish I doubt any of it will be visible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2020 at 12:57 AM, bebopsteve said:

Excellent work!! I ordered the Fifie a few days ago and looking forward to the build! I am getting some great ideas and tips from your build, so thank you for posting the great pictures! Now I have a mentor for my build!!!

Thanks Steve...I’m glad you’re following along. It’s a nice kit that I think you’ll enjoy. I’m looking  forward to seeing how other builders tackle this kit! 
 

 

23 hours ago, Kevin said:

just seen your work on MSW Faceboook, well done

 

5 hours ago, mugje said:

I found it also by that, amazing work so far PJG!

Thanks guys! I wasn’t aware there was a MSW Facebook page! I’m one of the 5 people on earth that doesn’t have a FB account 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

Link to post
Share on other sites

A little more progress to report despite the obligatory to-do list of early Fall weekend chores here in upstate New York. The mini-model of the hold is mostly complete now. I intend to add details here and there where necessary depending how everything looks when all the stuff that lives down there is added later on. I'm still on the fence as to whether I'll be adding light below deck and how far I'll take detailing this area. The rope room is a must but I'm not sure if my "people" hatches will be open. 

 

fifie_57.thumb.jpg.dbeb45f9cef7f99b542d14eb6f25bdd5.jpg 

 

fifie_60.thumb.jpg.8e7e9abd79fb2da735154d550e93cdf6.jpg

 

The hold can be divided into various compartments depending on how the captain sees fit to arrange his catch. The nets are stored on the planks above to dry while excess water from both drains through the holes in the the floor to the bilge. The shutters covering my speculative hatches/passageways are also speculative. 

 

fifie_58.jpg.2af0742da87de1174d959acdb1e8c010.jpg

 

fifie_59.thumb.jpg.88b369c3eb319ffe6d74471f2e8560cd.jpg

 

 

fifie_61.jpg.443d0da60fbf429f8f0b5b8e0bd17b3f.jpg

 

The hold fits nicely (despite my best efforts to screw it up) in the hull  and will be added permanently later on.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

My bench time on the actual boat has been hard to come by the last couple of weeks but I have been plugging away a little at a time on the tedious side-project of making miniature herring. I created a master template for the largest fish (just shy of .5" at 1/32 scale) using Adobe Illustrator and fed the .svg file to my Cricut die-cutting machine to test materials. Paper didn't hold up well to the cutting process so I opted for a more vellum-like material I use for frosted windows on my miniature building projects. This material held paint much better than the paper at this size as well. Once I was satisfied with the material, I created 2 more slightly smaller versions of the template to avoid too much uniformity across the board. In the end I cut somewhere around 400 of these guys thinking that would be more than enough. The jury is still out on that.

 

fifie_62.jpg.9cb89c763b4025237bb515bc140803e8.jpg 

 

fifie_67.jpg.7b6740b31732ad0236f2433d29283a8b.jpg

 

My photos don't do justice to the metallic look of the painted fish...they actually shimmer quite nicely when viewed from the distance a person is likely to view the finished model. 

 

fifie_64.jpg.0f6bbf696411699b96da61f8707dd668.jpg

 

fifie_66.jpg.e1da7ee376b80b0f9cc24c7caf713a04.jpg

 

Some fish will be scattered around on deck and stuck in the nets while most will be in the hold under the net drying boards. It's a lot of work for such a small detail but ultimately I think it will be a nice touch. Now back to actually building the boat!

Link to post
Share on other sites

nice work, normally on small fishing vessels like this the catch is sorted into wooden fish crates on deck then stored in the hold and covered with ice (depending on which point in history you are modelling) have also seen some catches stored in wicker baskets on old photos, but when i was on fishing boats the boring old plastic baskets and fishboxes had taken over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, James H said:

Those little fish look great! I'd be real happy wit those. 

 

Thanks James...I think they'll be ok once I have detail and weathering going on in the hold and on deck. 

 

1 hour ago, clearway said:

nice work, normally on small fishing vessels like this the catch is sorted into wooden fish crates on deck then stored in the hold and covered with ice (depending on which point in history you are modelling) have also seen some catches stored in wicker baskets on old photos, but when i was on fishing boats the boring old plastic baskets and fishboxes had taken over.

 

Thanks for the helpful info Clearway. I believe this boat would have been active sometime just before and after the turn of the 20th century, say 1890-1910ish? From what I've been able to dig up on this particular type of vessel, the hold could be divided up into compartments at the captain's discretion with boards that fit between the posts below deck. I attempted to model that as best I could without specific plans. I have seen references to the wicker baskets that were used to haul the fish from the hold to the dock (Blue Ensign made these for his 1/64 Vanguard Fifie) and I plan to try my hand at a few of those myself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

believe it or not the set up on yours was and probably still is very much in evidence on recent fishing boats, the compartments either side of the hold are used to stash the boxes of fish with the aforementioned ice. on deck the catch was deposited in the "pound" and a table set up on the starboard side, the fish was then gutted and sorted into boxes according to type (cod in one, herring in another etc etc) we used the baskets fore prawns which back when i was on the boats all had to be "tailed" by twisting the heads off the tails, sometimes around a thousand prawns in a catch)! The fishroom was isolated from the rest of the boat and was only accessed when storing the catch or unloading. I was born in the mid 60's to a fisherman father so was walking around on the old wooden fishing boats from the age of around three! can still remember the polished brass chronometer and barometer in the cabin and the varnished woodwork/ polished brass and the coal stove in the corner, sadly most of them will be gone now. If chasing the herring though they just loaded up and headed back to port (can remember herring boats coming into whitehaven nearly awash and the crew still frantically trying to sort clear the decks as they were 100 feet from the quay they caught that much in one day!

 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, clearway said:

on deck the catch was deposited in the "pound"

 

Thank you Keith, this is very helpful. On the kit plans, the planks used to divide the topside deck areas on either side of the hold are referred to as "pond boards". In my overly literal brain, I convinced myself that these areas must have held water somehow for some reason and tried my best to confirm this via research.  Now that I've been relieved of that silly misconception, I can give Google a rest for a while. I'm guessing Amati just dropped the U in pound somewhere along the line. 

 

5 hours ago, clearway said:

I was born in the mid 60's to a fisherman father so was walking around on the old wooden fishing boats from the age of around three!

 

That sounds like a wonderful experience and yet another reason why this is such a great forum. There's almost always someone around with real expertise willing to offer a helping hand. It's greatly appreciated!

 

Patrick

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2020 at 12:43 AM, PJG said:

A little more progress to report despite the obligatory to-do list of early Fall weekend chores here in upstate New York. The mini-model of the hold is mostly complete now. I intend to add details here and there where necessary depending how everything looks when all the stuff that lives down there is added later on. I'm still on the fence as to whether I'll be adding light below deck and how far I'll take detailing this area. The rope room is a must but I'm not sure if my "people" hatches will be open. 

 

fifie_57.thumb.jpg.dbeb45f9cef7f99b542d14eb6f25bdd5.jpg 

 

fifie_60.thumb.jpg.8e7e9abd79fb2da735154d550e93cdf6.jpg

 

The hold can be divided into various compartments depending on how the captain sees fit to arrange his catch. The nets are stored on the planks above to dry while excess water from both drains through the holes in the the floor to the bilge. The shutters covering my speculative hatches/passageways are also speculative. 

 

fifie_58.jpg.2af0742da87de1174d959acdb1e8c010.jpg

 

fifie_59.thumb.jpg.88b369c3eb319ffe6d74471f2e8560cd.jpg

 

 

fifie_61.jpg.443d0da60fbf429f8f0b5b8e0bd17b3f.jpg

 

The hold fits nicely (despite my best efforts to screw it up) in the hull  and will be added permanently later on.

Patrick,

 

I think your work looks amazing. The close up pics could be full sized real life!.

 

I don't have any experience in the fishing industry but in the past few weeks reading the fishing boat 'builds' on here I feel I have a much greater appreciation of the practical designs of fishing vessels and the high skill levels the crew had.

 

All the best,

 

Richard

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...