Fifie by PJG - Amati - 1:32 - Scottish Motor Fishing Vessel

17 hours ago, bebopsteve said:

The spacers you used between the timberheads. Did you use extra you had or trim the kit supplied wood?

Hi Steve...I cut up a couple strips of the walnut that was provided with the kit for the second layer of planking. I single-planked my hull because it will only be visible above the water line and painted. I'm also using the walnut for scratch-built interior features (fish hold, etc.)...it's really nice stuff and there's a lot of it. 

So I'm finally back on the job after an unexpectedly long hiatus with other projects and life in general. 

fifie_68.jpg.cdc206c160f00d3d0c3d39aae8ff5b48.jpg

A base coat of paint has been added after getting the rub-rails installed and cleaning up the the stem and stern posts. My overall color scheme will be be black, white and red. I'm not overly worried about a perfect paint job as this fifie will be showing the scars of a well-used work boat.  

fifie_69.jpg.d8fe0c4978792f06a8a57efac38492ed.jpg

The inner rail that runs the full length of the timber heads needs to be nailed (pilot holes recommended) at every other post as well as glued. There isn't enough material to do full runs on this piece so a splice is necessary somewhere along the way. Mine is at the 5th post from the bow. I reversed it for the other side. 

fifie_70.jpg.32f6b5a47b09aba913ca2ae6e4adc7b0.jpg

fifie_71.jpg.8afedb5d47e9d01eb071e67ecb367104.jpg

The full run from bow and stern.

fifie_73.jpg.c9b43608ea9acd8a633dd7c519694d60.jpg

fifie_76.jpg.f93e16b0556f73b42229e188ae82e023.jpg

fifie_75.jpg.573f70f40562846dc7ea25717e8b7148.jpg

Next I tackled more of the scratch-built detail that will be visible through open hatches. This is the passageway behind the pilot house that appears to access the engine room (or at least where the engine lived). I made some modifications to the size and placement of this hatch given how much smaller it is than the version on the forward deck in the plans. The instructions call for this opening to be very small (compared to the forward hatch) and offset from the centerline which seems to put it in conflict with where  one of the two rudder control chains run out to the stern. Regardless, I wanted to make this area more visible and these adjustments made that possible and solved the chain issue to my liking.

fifie_77.jpg.b7f9b9635ec3e3e95786addea7b53009.jpg

fifie_78.jpg.6aa646cbab6cddfc17f05d43c29fb718.jpg

I also opted to add detail to the deckhouse superstructure and scratch-build the light in front of the hatch. I plan to have the sashes hinged at the top (or at least appear to be) and open for my final display. When the companionway is installed over the hatch I want to get as much light down there as I can. I also introduced a little of the red I'll be using to get a feel for how it's going to look.

Edited by PJG

She’s looking great! Really nice job on the timber heads, as well as everything else. 

Paul

On the Ways: Mighty Mite, Harbor Tugboat by pwog - NautiCurso - 1:64

Completed Builds:

Lobster Boat Red Baron (Bluejacket)

Sardine Carrier Pauline (Bluejacket) 
Swampscott Dory (BlueJacket)

Hi PJG, I just now came across your build log. Great progress.. as usual, and remarkably clever. When I read about horizontal hull sawing all the oxygen left the room 😰 but what a great job! The wood combinations really work well together.

Mike

Thanks guys...it's good to be working on the project again.

On 1/4/2021 at 4:50 PM, bebopsteve said:

Looks Great! Did you hand brush hull with acrylic? I am doing the timberheads just like you did and Love the results! Lol I am actually referring to Your pictures more than the actual instructions!!! Thanks!!!

Hi Steve...yes, I did use acrylics on the hull. It has the look of an opaque stain which is fine given that I plan to add quite a bit of weathering later on. I'm glad my build log is helpful for your project...it's a fun, well-designed kit with lots of opportunities to make it your own!

A little more scratch building on the deckhouse superstructure. As I mentioned in the previous post, I would be repositioning the rear companion way  and enlarging it to match the forward version. Leaving it in the open position to show the detail below turned out to be a more time-consuming endeavor than I had planned (surprise! 😂). 

fifie_79.jpg.c85f872c98164b1598dc7a5faab1d4e0.jpg

fifie_80.jpg.4c5427c98d7914a1c345e9a9048d155b.jpg

fifie_81.jpg.ac863a9cbf7598a02cb702dc7e7d6b93.jpg

fifie_82.jpg.f3c061fd1a49255a0f7bdc7902e049f5.jpg

I opted to make a more utilitarian iron handle on the roll-top cover rather than use the brass photo etch part provided in the kit. It seems to fit better with the overall look I'm going for. 

fifie_83.jpg.4865e8a1a69d3bb94b7dd4343270635f.jpg

I also added a little more color and subtle weathering to get a feel for the overall color scheme. 

5 hours ago, bebopsteve said:

The trim going around the super structure.. What size is that? I didn't notice it in plans.

Thanks Steve...the trim around the superstructure isn't in the plans. The decking on the superstructure isn't in the plans either but given the large scale of this kit I'm adding detail where I think it will improve the overall look of my build. I also thought adding some structural detail would allow me to make the paint scheme a little more interesting. I used scrap I had available from other projects for my trim pieces...I would guess it's roughly 1 x 3 mm. 

Great look on the deck house... mitered corners and all. The red features pop very nicely. Are you using a sealer on the basswood or going straight on top with the color?

Mike

19 hours ago, Mike_In_RI said:

Are you using a sealer on the basswood or going straight on top with the color?

Hi Mike...I'm just applying paint directly to the untreated basswood where I've used it. The paint seems to do a reasonably decent job at tamping down the dreaded basswood "fuzz".  

12 hours ago, bebopsteve said:

My Fifie kit was lacking enough 1x4mm deck planking to finish. Anybody else have this problem? 

Hi Steve...my kit did have enough but not much to spare. Did you use the 1x4 strip to plank the areas on either side of the fish hold where the raised sections are added? I used walnut there so that might be the difference.

I had planned to display the forward companion way closed and show the small amount of below deck detail that would be visible through the warp room hatch. Instead, I've got myself into something much more interesting (for me, at least). If you're going to show a little detail, why not go all the way? So, I decided to build out the entire forward cabin.

fifie_90.jpg.b5fe6e99d35e01755876957c1be9cd21.jpg 

Starting off with my precision map of where things are going to be 😂

fifie_91.jpg.2eceeabf658f52789141b23b3771f68e.jpg

Staring off with the warp room floor.

fifie_92.jpg.be86b10deabee6c2a6d7ab620a497a83.jpg

I have no evidence that the warp room floor was drilled for drainage on the actual boat but given that up to a mile of soggy rope was deposited there when the nets were hauled, I'm comfortable making the leap of faith.

fifie_93.jpg.192d8e29b4521ef614dad1f53f38b0a8.jpg

I didn't have enough material to match the topside deck so I used some of the sub-planking material provided in the kit to create a similar look.

fifie_94.jpg.ebeb2010bbfc78e01a57ca89b5934d3e.jpg

The cabin wall was done with walnut strip.

fifie_95.jpg.5838eca74e28833df91ae1bc647906bc.jpg

fifie_96.jpg.6d2b2a1deccfb832e2330bae317977a0.jpg

fifie_97.jpg.97d0ce44846f06549b4522d31917e938.jpg

fifie_98.jpg.ce36e32e2577f489d5ace07aed9fd5ba.jpg

This is entirely guess-work as to how exactly the bunks should be laid out but given that they'll barely be visible through the forward hatch, I'm not overly concerned. This is also why I'll never build a famous/known ship...I have a really hard time following the instructions!

fifie_89.jpg.f4bff0babf1b9f03c4938c5232d447a4.jpg

In addition to my speculative warp room floor, I also decided to make the walls "ventilated". The coal bunker (top right) will be visible through the scuttle hatch on deck. 

fifie_85.jpg.2bd573731adec8f57011f85e95457052.jpg

fifie_84.jpg.b57645db51b70a1e65aeec17ae043bb3.jpg

There are still a lot of details to be added to this mini-build. The boiler that powers the steam capstan and cooking stove will be fairly visible through the forward hatch so those will need to be fabricated next. I'm considering adding light below deck as well so planning for that will be necessary. 

fifie_87.jpg.d1a37259d8020db2335a3c481ebd4992.jpg

The fish hold and forward cabin...eventually I should probably get back to working on the kit itself! 

Edited by PJG

Leave out the nets... the fish will just be jumping into that boat! Great imaginative job as usual. Lights are a good idea.

Mike

Superb! I really like these customizations! It looks great.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

What an excellent build. I am starting my ow Fifie and really appreciate your input. Hope to see the rest on page 4. My question is: how do they hang the nets on deck?  

Ras

Current builds:

Stern Paddle Wheeler ZULU-1916-1/48 scale

Previous builds:

Freccia Celeste-1927 350cc racing motorcycle-1:9 scale-Protar kit

Boeing B17F- 1/72 scale- Hasegawa kit

HMS Mimi-scale 1/24-Fast Motor Launch                               

Amapá 1907-1/64 scale-Brazilian Customs Cruiser

Scottish Motor Fifie. 1/32 scale. Amati kit

Patricia. Steam powered R/C launch. 1/12 scale. Krick Kit

African Queen. Steam powered  R/C launch. 1/24 scale. Billings ki

Emma C. Berry. Sailing fishing smack. 1/32 scale. Model Shipways kit.

Thanks guys, as always, the positive feedback is very much appreciated!

2 hours ago, Ras Ambrioso said:

My question is: how do they hang the nets on deck?  

I definitely know more about these boats than I did when I started my build and have learned a lot from Blue Ensign's build logs for both Vanguard fifie/zulu kits. Both are far better researched than mine and well worth a visit. I've included a link to what I consider a pretty clear/interesting description of how this type of fishing (drifting for herring) was done and the boats that were used to do it. Hopefully you'll find it as useful as I did!

https://electricscotland.com/lossiemouth/boats/fisher07.pdf

Thanks for the quick reply. I am currently trying to set up my own build log and having troublr finding where and how. I am definetely not a super detailer but I enjoy putting a little bit of reality in my models

Ras

Current builds:

Stern Paddle Wheeler ZULU-1916-1/48 scale

Previous builds:

Freccia Celeste-1927 350cc racing motorcycle-1:9 scale-Protar kit

Boeing B17F- 1/72 scale- Hasegawa kit

HMS Mimi-scale 1/24-Fast Motor Launch                               

Amapá 1907-1/64 scale-Brazilian Customs Cruiser

Scottish Motor Fifie. 1/32 scale. Amati kit

Patricia. Steam powered R/C launch. 1/12 scale. Krick Kit

African Queen. Steam powered  R/C launch. 1/24 scale. Billings ki

Emma C. Berry. Sailing fishing smack. 1/32 scale. Model Shipways kit.

A quick update on the forward cabin. The steam boiler (to power the capstan) and cooking stove will be partially visible through the forward hatch so I tried to make them reasonably believable. The boiler was fabricated with a wine cork, paper, wire, straight pins and leftover parts from a WWI plastic airplane kit. The stove is mostly wood, paper and wire. They're both fairly rough, but suitable for the purpose.

fifie_99.jpg.866f4f4afa6401dd97abf55f96148db4.jpg

fifie_100.jpg.93e03bf74bea6389868a233e46414384.jpg

fifie_101.jpg.99545a86d41779d2489785d01a2353b9.jpg

fifie_102.jpg.458da219d6c2f6231b2e0fc49a460600.jpg

On to finishing up the warp room and coal bunker and that should do it for this mini-project.

Edited by PJG