Decorative Carrack Warship Restoration, the Amelia by Keith Black

Last week I had the opportunity to acquire a model made in Germany in the 1920's. My interest in this particular maker/makers/guild models came from the Shipwrights of Central Ohio  (further referred to as SCO) club's restoration of the Great Harry. I think the Great Harry is a neat model even though it's a decorative model. The model I acquired  was a wreck but very reasonable priced. I told both my wife and son that I was off to buy a plastic pink flamingo as decorative ships have about the same amount of respect and appreciation and have very little value even when restored. I have a modest amount of respect for this model as it's almost a hundred years old and it does hold a historical footnote in model ship history.

This is a fanciful, caricature model of a Carrack warship. Because it may not truly represent any particular ship I leave her unnamed at this time. I can't determine what country's navy this model is supposed to represent from the heraldic shields and painted sails. If someone can provide any input, please do! To me she looks a lot like the Mary Rose per the attached period painting because of the heraldic shields she carries amidships. The maker/makers only had pictures from books to work with and buyers would only have had vague mental images of those same pictures, this would have given the makers a lot of latitude. 

These decorative ships came home with tourist from overseas as souvenirs. It's not hard to imagine that friends and neighbors liked "that ship" they saw on their well traveled neighbors mantel and the stories that went with it. They may not have been able to afford a trip abroad but dad and son wanted a model ship and they could afford to buy a kit. 

This model sat on the mantel of a well used fireplace. The sails were/are covered with creosote and the original paint and wood have been penetrated. What the heck, it gives it character. The photos are of the model as acquired. 

109566728_10160189384362571_5219617898961946418_o.jpg

109452469_10160189384377571_6107826124762768033_o.jpg

109685400_10160189384312571_7400728358085696456_o.jpg

108597328_10160189384322571_7665882026784912031_o.jpg

image-20160906-25272-olfcxm.jpg

The first task was to remove all the rigging and a thorough cleaning with paint thinner. I know using paint thinner is not an accepted practice but I've used PT to clean countless pieces of furniture and a few models. It's not aggressive and evaporates readily. I tried ten minutes worth of spit and Q-Tips but I'm 73, I don't have that much spit and time left to me. Once cleaned I gave it two coats of satin polyurethane. Even satin is too glossy, before rigging I need to tone down the gloss. 

The model had been rigged at least once since new. The only blocks on the model are the single hole deadeyes. There may have been blocks once upon a time and left off when rigged the second/third time. I think I see blocks on the Great Harry as presented to SCO for restoration. When it comes time to rig I'll need to make a decision about blocks. There are no eyes, only tacks on the cap rails to attach lines to. 

I've added no paint or taken any away. If it has a blob or over paint, I've left it. If the paint is wore or gone, so be it. 

IMG_4427.JPG

IMG_4417.JPG

IMG_4451.JPG

IMG_4452.JPG

IMG_4454.JPG

IMG_4455.JPG

IMG_4441.JPG

The heraldic shields, sails, and flags. There are two shields with a standing lion and the main mast flag is a standing lion. Several countries used standing lions but as these were painted free hand you can't tell whose. I don't think I'll be able to save the sails and flags. 

IMG_4437.JPG

IMG_4438.JPG

IMG_4474.JPG

IMG_4478.JPG

IMG_4481.JPG

IMG_4476.JPG

So far, so good, Keith.   She cleaned up nicely.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The anchors of the Great Harry that COS is restoring are lead, these are wood. Also there is a difference in the tops and on this model they're flat, the GH is bowl shaped. 

On one of anchors, one of the flukes was broken off and lost to time. The other anchor, one of the flukes edges were broken off. Carved replacement pieces, attached, and painted to match. This is only place where I have added paint. I've found that in restoring adding paint is a slippery slope. In the past when restoring a piece I'll say to myself, I'll just touch this up a bit and before I know it, I've repainted the whole piece. Not this time. 

IMG_4420.JPG

IMG_4421.JPG

IMG_4459.JPG

IMG_4465.JPG

IMG_4483.JPG

IMG_4486.JPG

Mark, thank you for the comment and the likes.

As far as I can tell this model is held together almost entirely with nails. When the hull is thumped it rings hollow, it is not a solid hull. I'd love to know how the internal structure is constructed. Hopefully someday I'll come across one of these that's a total wreck and dirt cheap where I can tear it apart to satisfy my curiosity. 

The decks are grooved to look like planks.

IMG_4428.JPG

IMG_4430.JPG

IMG_4434.JPG

IMG_4436.JPG

IMG_4435.JPG

On the stern castle the cabin has a vertical tear at the rear. I think that once upon a time that's where a lantern was installed. That's my next task, research period lanterns and replicate. 

IMG_4422.JPG

Hello Keith.

This is a very nice effort.  Whatever approach you take to refurbish your ship is the right approach. You want to be happy with the result and your experience with woodworking serves you well here.  

I have found paint thinner to vary greatly in its aggressiveness.  I have used it when I suspect that someone plastered varnish or some other coating over the original paintwork.  Over time it turns yellow and black and ruins the original work.  The trick, as you know is to test and be gentle, right?  It made a huge difference on the Nuestra Senora Afortunado restoration.  Although the owner didn't want to retain the patina(sad), the detail in the decks and other bits came out.  But soap, toothbrush and water often do the yeoman's portion of the work.  

I continue to look for matching drawings to identify your ship.  I appears to be English based upon its flags. I'll also look into the heraldry displayed on the shields and sails. They could be notional or real.  Some look common.  As I see anything I'll let you know.  I am doing the same for folks at cast your anchor hobbies so I'll combine efforts.  The ship appears to represent an early carrack of three masts, 16 guns, topsails on 2 masts and a lateen missen.  Interestingly, the bowsprit (or mast) does not go into the ship.  It rests below the beak, seated in the stem.  It carries a sprit sail.       image.png.e40ee517b0f6674529f9f4bb25f32466.png 

I counted only 7 guns on the starboard but I think I saw a hole where the balancing eighth gun went. Is that possible?

image.png.1f3dc1599211c3237afcbca0eba1f993.png

Additionally, I count 24 "gunports" on upper decks, which would raise the count to 40 guns.  So I think I'll look for a forty gun ship and let you know of any candidates for your consideration.  If I overstep here, I apologize and will back off.  It's just fun for me.   

Regarding the maker of the ship....The tag on your ship is just like that on the GH!  The turned guns, mast construction, nailed yards, colors and sail materials seem identical.  I have a question out to the Cast Your Anchor Hobbies folks about the provenance of a ship like ours that they worked.  You may not know that we've identified four other ships made by this manufacturer.  Sooner or later I hope to get to the source of these ships.

This is an interesting project and I look forward to watching its progress.

Current build: Great Harry, restoration 

On hold: Soliel Royale, Mantua

Completed:

Bluenose ll, Artesania Latina

San Francisco llArtesania Latina

Chris Craft barrel back triple cockpit, Dumas

Chris Craft 1940 double cockpit, Dumas

Santa Maria, Artesania Latina

1901 Scow Schooner, scratch built

Hannah, Continental Navy, scratch built 

Candelaria bomb ship, OcCre

Pride of Baltimore, Model Shipways

17 foot Chesapeake kayak (2, one scratch), Midwest

USN Picket Boat #1, Model Shipways

Kobuksan, Turtle Korean ironclad, YoungModeler

HMS Revenge, scratch

NY Pilot Boat, kit bashed, Model Shipways

USS Monitor, scratch

Nuestra Senora de Afortunado, 1926 Popular Science plan, Resoration

Martha, CBMM,

Puddle Jumper, scratch stern wheeler

Lady Sarah, kit bashed Constructo Victorian launch

BB, thank you for the compliment, your thoughts, and insight.

6 hours ago, Boxbuilds said:

I saw a hole where the balancing eighth gun went. Is that possible

That's a dimple in the hull as result from battle with Father Time. 

6 hours ago, Boxbuilds said:

we've identified four other ships made by this manufacturer

I was aware of possibly two others, the Mayflower and the Santa Maria. The model that Cast Your Anchor Hobbies restored is new to me, thank you for bringing it to my attention. Do you have a photo of the fifth you're able to share? 

Hi Keith,

I'd agreee with Boxbuilds that she represents an English ship - the cross of St George (red cross on a white field) over and over again on sails, flags and shields.

The other shields seem to be generic - simple designs that would be easy to paint - usually dividing the shield into two parts horizontally (called in heraldic terminology per fess) or vertically (per pale), or with a simple vertical bar (argent, a pale azure = white field,with a blue vertical bar), plus a couple with a lion standing up in threatening position (rampant) on a white field (argent, a lion rampant gules). If the field behind the lion had been gold/yellow and there'd been a double red border with fleurs de lis, it would have been the Scottish royal coat of arms

image.jpeg.4c7b042f0536ce3e9a64f1fd6a35a885.jpeg

As it is, it's nothing in particular.

Another point I'd make is that it was presumably made for the English (or at least English-speaking) market. The name-plate says Germany, not Deutschland.

Its shape is reminiscent of a lot of contemporary pictures of carracks, where the lines were exaggerated, with the stem and sternposts leaning inward far too much

image.png.77e7c4bbd2d420a18626b62f2e265222.png

Yes, it's a decorator model, but it's rather cute and has its own charm, and as you say, its age now makes it a historical item in its own right. You're doing a nice job of restoring her. Keepup the good work.

Steven, thank you for your comments, it's very much appreciated and a thank you to all for the likes.

I've reached a decision on lantern style, I'll go with something like the attached. I don't think this model was made by the same manufacturer but i think it's close to what would have originally been there. I first need to repair the vertical tear out. 

7ed544547c02251499e29645d7ab7084.jpg

What a great old model and an interesting project Keith.  It is dripping with character and charm.  I like your light-handed approach to its restoration.  I think it would be so tempting to over restore it and in the process destroy its historical value.

Nice subtle work on fixing the cabin tear and blending the colors back in.  This is going to be fun to follow.  

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

What he said. Just what i would have said if Gary hadn't beaten me to it. Beautifully sensitive repair, keeping so faithfully to the original character of the model.

Gary and Steven thank you for the compliments and thank you to everyone for the likes. 

The stern lanter is made, installed, and painted. I'm pretty happy with the color combination and the color match. I went with a straight pole from the cabin roof to the lantern, to me it looked more realistic. I didn't want to get too fancy and wind up with something that looked like a 17th/18th century stern lantern so I tried keeping it simple and in keeping with the time period and overall appearance of the model. The jury is still out on the lantern's shape. 🤔 

IMG_4526.JPG

IMG_4529.JPG

IMG_4530.JPG

IMG_4532.JPG

IMG_4516.JPG

I'd go with the lamp you made.  It looks the part, color, shape, etc.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks, Mark. I just needed that little push to move me off the fence. 

The repaired anchors are hung and this completes all the repairs I'll be doing on my restoration of the model, on to rigging.

IMG_4536.JPG

IMG_4537.JPG

IMG_4538.JPG

I agree with Mark on the lantern - it looks like it has always been there.  Extremely nice color matching once again Keith, and your anchors look terrific as well.  It would take an eagles‘ eye to detect that any restoration has been done. 

Gary

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

A very nice job of restoration that keeps the spirit of the original. Looking forward to the rigging.

Gary and Steven, thank you for the comments and to all for the likes.

Being that it's difficult if not impossible to attribute this model to any particular ship, I've given it the name Amelia. This in honor of my recently deceased 17 year old cat whom I had the great pleasure to spend almost a quarter of my life with, she was my 2003 Christmas present. 

That seems a very appropriate memorial to a dear friend, Keith.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nice matching effort on the lantern. Looks original. 

Current build: Great Harry, restoration 

On hold: Soliel Royale, Mantua

Completed:

Bluenose ll, Artesania Latina

San Francisco llArtesania Latina

Chris Craft barrel back triple cockpit, Dumas

Chris Craft 1940 double cockpit, Dumas

Santa Maria, Artesania Latina

1901 Scow Schooner, scratch built

Hannah, Continental Navy, scratch built 

Candelaria bomb ship, OcCre

Pride of Baltimore, Model Shipways

17 foot Chesapeake kayak (2, one scratch), Midwest

USN Picket Boat #1, Model Shipways

Kobuksan, Turtle Korean ironclad, YoungModeler

HMS Revenge, scratch

NY Pilot Boat, kit bashed, Model Shipways

USS Monitor, scratch

Nuestra Senora de Afortunado, 1926 Popular Science plan, Resoration

Martha, CBMM,

Puddle Jumper, scratch stern wheeler

Lady Sarah, kit bashed Constructo Victorian launch

Sorry to hear of the passing of your old friend Keith.  Pets certainly are members of the family and it’s difficult when they pass.  Naming your restoration ship after her is nice.

Gary

Completed Scratch Builds

• 2 years later...

After seeing your posts in the other topic, I'll make mine here.    It's your ship. You are the owner, captain, and crew.  Do with it as you feel.  IF the muse hits and says sails need to be restored then go for it.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: