Endeavour Rigging Topmast Fore Preventor Stay

Hi All

Long time member but first time post.  The Caldercraft Endeavour is my second build and I'm slowly working my way through the rigging.  First build was AL's Virginia and was far simpler.  I'm now at the point of rigging the stays but I can't figure out how the the blocks are rigged in the plans.  I've checked various books I have and scoured many photos of build logs but I'm still non the wiser. 

The diagram is off the plans

N is single block

O is a double block

I'm assuming the rope is attached the top of block N via a becket and I can see how the rope is run through block O and back through N and so on, but what do I do with the end of the rope?  I cannot see how it ends or is tied off.

Hope this makes some sort of sense and really appreciate any help 

Thanks

Mr. P

Forestay Rigging.JPG

Current build:     HMS Mercury - Scratch

Previous buildsMary Rose - Caldercraft

HMB Endeavour - Caldercraft

Virginia 1819 - Artesania Latina

Pleasant, 

Belated welcome to MSW.      

To the drawing, this does not look right.  What are the rest of the words "repeated fore prev" ...  ? 

On top of the sprit, the "S" looks to be deadeyes for the forestay and the deadeyes just forward of those are for the fore preventer stay.  The line below could be a bobstay, but for Endeavor's time period, these would probably have been rigged with deadeyes, not blocks.  Do the plans give a name to this line?   Can you show the rest of the picture of the sprit.

Assuming it is shown correctly, the running part of the line would have to run aft and secured possibly at a timber head or cleat.

Again, welcome to MSW

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi Allan

Thanks for the welcome and the response. I've attached an expanded view that shows the bowsprit and hopefully makes things a little clearer.  The S blocks you refer to are closed hearts and are already taken care of.

I guess you are correct and the line has to be tied off at a timber head

Thanks

Mr.P

Forestay Rigging 2.JPG

Hi Pleasant,

The only thing I could find was in Lees' Masting and Rigging.  The fore topmast stay did have a set of blocks as on your drawing.  The stay rove through the bee on the starboard side of the sprit and had a double block seized in the end.  The running part was as your drawing, but the only thing he mentions about belaying is that it is "made fast on the forecastle."  The preventer would run through the bee on the port side as on the drawing and belay on the forecastle as well.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Richard,

The drawings certainly are more clear, but, they show the fore topmast stay rigged to a long block which was not used for the fore topmast stay after 1745, according to Lees.   Don't know who has it right on this one, Mr. Lees or Mr. Marquardt.    

Allan

Thanks Allan, Richard

I've got a better idea now of what's going on, one thing is for certain I'm going to need more tying off points than what the plans show.

Appreciate your help.

MP

Thanks Richard, I was thinking the same after looking at the belaying positions on AoTS.  BTW the pictures of your Endeavour look good

Tom, you've given me something else to thing about

Hi Tom,  that is definitely a possible solution although was difficult to reach.   An example would be Medway, 1742 where the stay tackle and preventer stay tackle were belayed "round itself"  

Hi Henry,  deadeyes were only used for the fore topmast stays between 1670 and 1680 (The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War, page 52).  Preventer stays are a different matter.  Fore topmast preventer stays came into use about 1700 and deadeyes were used for some ships at the start, and by nearly all rates by 1719.  They were no longer used by 1745 when bees with sheaves came into use but there were exceptions.  (The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War, page 54).  Endeavor was launched nineteen years later, so odds are she would not have had deadeyes on the preventer stay. 

Allan

Hi Henry

As a result of this topic being posted, I did some digging and learned a lot about something that I had little or no knowledge previously,  so it was a great learning experience for me as well.   As you say in your signature Laissez le bon temps rouler!!!    

Allan

Oh, I don't mind being corrected.  As you said, being on these forums is a great learning experience.  I learn something new almost every day.

Laissez le bon temps rouler, indeed!!

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci