Is there an index online somewhere for the magazine Seaways Ships in Scale?    I googled, and looked on the NRG site, and came up empty.

I am looking for a series of articles written by John Fryant on building and improving the Dumas 1/48 scale side wheeler “Mt Washington” kit.   I was a subscriber for several years, and I vaguely remember seeing it.   I have no idea when it appeared, so I figure a good first step would to (a) confirm it existed, and (b) find out what issues it appeared in, so I can focus my search....

Thanks for any leads....

-Bill

In progress:  

BlueJacket Lobster Smack 1/8 scale (RC)

1/96 Revenue Cutter Harriet Lane RC scratchbuild

completed:  

1/144 scale USS Guadalcanal CVE-60 RC scratchbuild

Revell 1/305 USCG 327’ Secretary class cutter

Dumas 1/16 scale USCG Motor Lifeboat 36500 (RC)

Lindberg 1/95 USCG Lightship LV-112 “Nantucket” RC conversion

Unfortunately, the search and index tools from the CD version won't work on my 64bit Windows 10 machine. I will pull out one of my semi-retired Windows 7 32 bit machines later today and see what I can find for you.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

13 hours ago, Rcboater Bill said:

Is there an index online somewhere for the magazine Seaways Ships in Scale?    I googled, and looked on the NRG site, and came up empty.

I am looking for a series of articles written by John Fryant on building and improving the Dumas 1/48 scale side wheeler “Mt Washington” kit.   I was a subscriber for several years, and I vaguely remember seeing it.   I have no idea when it appeared, so I figure a good first step would to (a) confirm it existed, and (b) find out what issues it appeared in, so I can focus my search....

Thanks for any leads....

-Bill

Bill - I came across this listing of model steamboat plans available from John Fryant - includes the Mt. Washington as well as an email address. You may be able to reach him directly for info.

johnfryant-postatsteamboats.pdf

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Bill - The series of articles you remember were part of John Fryant's "On the Water" column.

Jan/Feb 2012 - Introduction/Hull/Propulsion

Mar/Apr 2012 - Superstructure

May/Jun 2012 - Superstructure

July/Aug 2012 - Superstructure

Sept/Oct 2012 - "No progress"

Nov/Dec 2012 - Propulsion

Jan/Feb 2014 - First Voyage

Bill

After you posted, I went back to my discs and noticed the same problem.  The situation is as follows: you (and I) have the original discs from the early 2000's sold by Clay Feldman.  The discs sold by the NRG are not the same.   The NRG Early Years disc includes the information on the 4 discs sold by Clay.  The Middle and Later Years discs contain the remaining volumes.  The NRG  indices work on Win 7 and 10; Clay's discs only work on XP.  To view these articles you would need to have the Later Years disc.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

7 hours ago, CGN39BCO said:

Bill - The series of articles you remember were part of John Fryant's "On the Water" column.

Jan/Feb 2012 - Introduction/Hull/Propulsion

Mar/Apr 2012 - Superstructure

May/Jun 2012 - Superstructure

July/Aug 2012 - Superstructure

Sept/Oct 2012 - "No progress"

Nov/Dec 2012 - Propulsion

Jan/Feb 2014 - First Voyage

Bill

Thanks- that is exactly what I was looking for!

In progress:  

completed:  

Ahoy,

Paul Mitchell here. I'm the developer of the NRG and Seaways CD sets/digital archives. I am looking into the issue which appears to be related to how more modern browsers handle javascript. I will post a fix as soon as I develop one. BTW I have found similar issues on Mac OS-X also. 

In the interim for the Seaways archives, you can open the CUMINDX.JS file using a text editor such as notepad and search for your search term within this file. The following is a typical entry:

"THE MARBLEHEAD SCHOONER- SIR EDWARD HAWKE|ALLER, R. C.|SCHOONER, HAWKE|SIR EDWARD HAWKE|MODEL CONSTRUCTION|ARMED SCHOONER|SOLID HULL|I|1|JAN FEB 1990|52-56|VOL_01/NO_1/PAGE_52.HTM",

The portion of the entry highlighted in blue represent the Volume #, Issue #, Months & Year, and page(s).

The portion of the entry highlighted in orange represent the the subdirectories and file name of the article.

IMPORTANT: Do not make any changes to the CUMINDX.JS file!

Thank you for your patience,

Paul

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Co-Webmaster, NRG Website

Developer of NRG and Seaways Publishing back issue digital archives

Thanks, Paul.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

After reading the above, I dug out my copies of the 1999-and-older  SíS Disks that I had picked up at an estate sale a several years ago. I assume they are the original ones, as they have the original Seaways labels and not NRG labels.    I popped one in my 5 year old HP laptop, and it read it just fine.  That PC came with Win8, with a free upgrade to Win 10.   

So not all systems with Windows 10 have an issue reading the old CDs.....

In progress:  

completed:  

The pages, which are htm files, do read fine.  I think you’ll find that the search tool doesn’t work, as I did on my Windows 7 laptop.  The search tool and index are in an older version of JavaScript which doesn’t seem to be readable by many current browsers.  That’s the problem Paul’s addressing.

Bill

All,

The newer browsers handle JavaScript a bit differently than the older versions which required me to make some minor revisions to the code.

I have revised and attached the search file NAV.HTM for the Seaways Ships in Scale Volumes 1-10 collection for use on hard drive installations ONLY (it won't work for the CDs since you can't copy the file to the CD).  I have successfully tested  the fix on both a Windows PC and a Mac using the latest versions of the following browsers:

• Chrome 84.0.4147.105 (Win 10 & Mac OS-X Catalina)
  • Firefox 79.0 (Win 10 & Mac OS-X Catalina)
  • Opera 70.0 (Win 10) & 70.0.3728.71 (Mac OS-X Catalina)
  • Microsoft Edge 84.0.522.50 (Win 10 & Mac OS-X Catalina)
  • Safari 13.1.2(13609.3.1.5) (Mac OS-X Catalina)

This fix is for the Seaways Ships in Scale Volumes 1-10 collection ONLY - the Volumes 11-20 search should work OK as is. If the current search function is presently working OK for you then this fix is optional - this fix should also run OK if you are running an older browser.

Please perform the following steps in order to implement the fix:

1. Close all open browsers.
  2. Navigate to the file folder on your hard drive containing the Seaways Ships in Scale Volumes 1-10 collection.
  3. Rename the existing NAV.HTM file to something like NAV_orig.HTM so that you can restore it if necessary.
  4. Copy the attached NAV.HTM file into the folder.
  5. Open your browser and load the collections HOME.HTM or index.htm page (it doesn't matter, they are the same thing).
  6. Click on the "Find Article" link to open the search page.
  7. Enter you search term(s) and click the "Find" button (or hit return).
  8. The search results will open in a new browser tab.

If it doesn't work the first time, try refreshing the page. Sometimes the old version of the page is held in the browser's cache - refreshing the page will clear the cache.

Please let me know how this works for you.

I will work with Kurt to roll out the change on a wider basis.

Thank you,

NAV.HTM

Paul

I applied the fix to my files on my computer.  

macOS Catalina 10.15.6 

The files for disks from 1990-1994 and 1995-1999. Disks are titled "Seaways' Ships in Scale" vol 1 and vol 2.  These work perfectly as you describe.

The files for disks from1983-1987 and 1988-1991 are not completely there yet. These are the ones titled "The Original Ships in Scale" vol 1 and vol 2

These ones will now open up and allow searching and the results will show up in the new tab.  The problem is that the hyperlink to open/goto the article will not work.

The same procedure was applied to each of the files on my computer.

Overall great work on the fix.  I haven't used these too much due to the lack of searching.

Michael,

The fix was for the "Seaways' Ships in Scale (SSiS)" vol 1 and vol 2 only. I'll work on the "Original Ships in Scale (OSiS)" and "Model ShipBuilder (MSB)"sets tomorrow or Monday. The code needs to be modified somewhat as the index file structures are different from that of the "Seaways' Ships in Scale (SSiS)" vol 1 and vol 2 collection.

I'm glad the "Seaways' Ships in Scale (SSiS)" vol 1 and vol 2 fix worked for you. 

I should have a fix for the NRJ Vol 1-40 searchable index later in the week.

Paul

Revised Search Files for Seaways and NRJ Digital Archive Sets:

I have completed the index search code revisions for the remaining digital archive sets - Model ShipBuilder (MSB), Original Ships in Scale (OSIS) and the Nautical Research Journal Volumes 1-40 searchable index (NRJCD) - to permit the article/index search feature to function properly with the current browser versions. Please note that these revised files are for use on hard drive installations ONLY (they won't work for the CDs since you can't copy the file to the CD). I have successfully tested  the fix on both a Windows PC and a Mac using the latest versions of the following browsers:

• Chrome 84.0.4147.105 (Win 10 & Mac OS-X Catalina)
  • Firefox 79.0 (Win 10 & Mac OS-X Catalina)
  • Opera 70.0 (Win 10) & 70.0.3728.71 (Mac OS-X Catalina)
  • Microsoft Edge 84.0.522.50 (Win 10 & Mac OS-X Catalina)
  • Safari 13.1.2(13609.3.1.5) (Mac OS-X Catalina)

Each digital archive set requires it's own dedicated NAV.HTM file as each code is unique to suit differences in their archive's index file structure. I will post a separate reply for each set with set-specific instructions within the hour.

I am working with Kurt Van Dahm to roll out these revisions on a wider basis.

Thank you,

Paul

Revised Search Files for the Model ShipBuilder (MSB) Digital Archive Set:

I have revised and attached the search file NAV.HTM for the Model ShipBuilder (MSB) digital archive collection for use on hard drive installations ONLY (it won't work for the CDs since you can't copy the file to the CD)

NOTE: This fix is for the Model ShipBuilder (MSB) digital archive collection ONLY - this fix should also run OK if you are running an older browser.

Please perform the following steps, in order, to implement the fix:

2. Navigate to the file folder on your hard drive containing the Model ShipBuilder(MSB) digital archive collection.
  3. Copy the attached MSB_NAV.HTM file into the folder.
  4. Rename the existing NAV.HTM file to something like NAV_orig.HTM so that you can restore it if necessary.
  5. Rename the new MSB_NAV.HTM file to NAV.HTM.
  6. Open your browser and load the collection's HOME.HTM or index.htm page (it doesn't matter which one, they are the same thing).
  7. Click on the "Find Article" link to open the search page.
  8. Enter you search term(s) and click the "Find" button (or hit return).
  9. The search results will open in a new browser tab.

If it doesn't work the first time, try refreshing the page. Sometimes the old version of the page is held in the browser's cache - refreshing the page will clear the cache.

MSB_NAV.HTM

Paul

Revised Search Files for the Original Ships in Scale (OSIS) Digital Archive Set:

I have revised and attached the search file NAV.HTM for the Original Ships in Scale (OSIS) digital archive collection for use on hard drive installations ONLY (it won't work for the CDs since you can't copy the file to the CD)

NOTE: This fix is for the Original Ships in Scale (OSIS) digital archive collection ONLY - this fix should also run OK if you are running an older browser.

2. Navigate to the file folder on your hard drive containing the Original Ships in Scale (OSIS) digital archive collection.
  3. Copy the attached OSIS_NAV.HTM file into the folder.
  4. Rename the existing NAV.HTM file to something like NAV_orig.HTM so that you can restore it if necessary.
  5. Rename the new OSIS_NAV.HTM file to NAV.HTM.
  6. Open your browser and load the collection's HOME.HTM or index.htm page (it doesn't matter which one, they are the same thing).
  7. Click on the "Find Article" link to open the search page.
  8. Enter you search term(s) and click the "Find" button (or hit return).
  9. The search results will open in a new browser tab.

OSIS_NAV.HTM

Paul

Revised Search Files for the Nautical Research Journal (NRJ) Volumes 1-40 Searchable Index:

I have revised and attached two search files NRG_NDX.HTM and NRG_NAV for the NRJ Volumes 1-40 Searchable Index. This fix is for use on hard drive installations ONLY (it won't work for the CDs since you can't copy the file to the CD)

NOTE: This fix is for the NRJ Volumes 1-40 Searchable Index ONLY - this fix should also run OK if you are running an older browser.

2. Navigate to the file folder on your hard drive containing the Nautical Research Journal (NRJ) digital archive collection.
  3. Copy the files new_NRG_NDX.HTM and new_NRG_NAV.HTM
  4. Rename the existing NRG_NAV.HTM file to something like NRG_NAV_orig.HTM so that you can restore it if necessary.
  5. Rename the existing NRG_NDX.HTM file to something like NRG_NDX_orig.HTM so that you can restore it if necessary.
  6. Rename the file new_NRG_NAV.HTM to NRG_NAV.HTM.
  7. Rename the file new_NRG_NDX.HTM to NRG_NDX.HTM.
  8. Open your browser and load the searchable index's NRG_NDX.HTM page.
  9. Enter you search term(s) and click the "Find" button (or hit return).
  10. The search results will open in a new browser tab.

new_NRG_NDX.HTM new_NRG_NAV.HTM

Paul

• 2 years later...

I have installed the Original Ships in Scale CD's onto my hard drive.  The new NAV.htm file is working fine.  My question is about using "Browse Issues".  When I click on Browse Issues I only get the list of magazine photos from 1983 to 1987 (the first disc).  Does anyone know how to fix this to be able to also get the list of magazines from 1988 to 1993?

Thanks,

Don