HMS EURYALUS by cfn1803 - 36 guns (1803) - 1:48 scale

Gary,

The only suggestion I can make regarding the lumber is to get the set for Euryalus from Jeff Hayes at the Hobby Mill. When we did the book and plans and build, it was over several years but I did not keep track of the lumber quantities used.  I started with rough cut wood and cut my own stock but if you do not have the tools, the Hobby Mill set is a great way to go.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 4 months later...

Clay, this build looks fantastic. I have bookmarked your page a while back and check in from time to time. I also have the books, and want to do this one day. Si I will closely follow along.

I only have one problem, Sea Wach Books won't send me a replacement CD for the frames from Volume one. I went to open the CD up and it was blank. They said they would send another CD, but that was a month ago. Still no luck. Still, I am hopeful one day I will get a replacement.

Tony Burgess

Tony,

I spoke with Bob and he does not have any spare disks, they are all wrapped in the books so he agreed I should make a copy from the originals and send your way.   I am traveling and out of reach of my files but will burn a copy of the frame drawings on a disk and send your way when I return next week.  Please send me your address via PM.

Hope this is at least a little good news.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 6 years later...

Clay,

Great job!  Really glad to see that you're continuing.   I'm retired from the wood milling business but I was curious as to how the quantities etc. worked out on your wood package? 

Looking forward to following along.

Jeff Hayes 

Jeff

aka HobbyMill

NRG Member

Current Build: Constitution

Looking great Clay. Just curious as to how you plan to add the keelson with those bolts secured on top of the floors? As well I found that I needed four bolts (two pairs) to adequately secure the model once all the other elements were added. It gets surprisingly heavy.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Greg,

I really haven't figured that out yet.  Before I unbolt the model from the building board to fair the hull, I intend to mark and frame the gun ports, ventilation and sweep ports, which will aid in strengthening of the hull.  I will fair the inside of the hull and mark the location of the deck clamps and maybe install a few for strength.  I then intend to unbolt the hull, add the keelson, then fair the outside of the hull and put in the frame bolts/fastenings.  I then need to figure a way to secure it back on the board to continue the build.  

I should probably embed nuts in the keelson to receive bolts from under the building board?

Regards,  Clay

Edited by cfn1803

Current build:  HMS EURYALUS (36) 1803  1: 48 scale

That's the way I do it. I mill off two of the surfaces of the nut to fit into keelson slots to receive them. They are epoxied in place. If you could add an additional bolt fore and aft of the original two that would be sufficient to secure the hull whatever display you choose.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752