Is any ship build log welcome here ?

Hello fellow model makers,

I have been busy reading all kind of topics with very nice build logs. 95% of them are wooden sail ships. So that made me curious.. is it allowed to post a "modern" rc ship build also? 

I have build a few (failed) projects of a offshore supply vessel. All of them with a differt kind of build.. started with a paper one with lots of expoxy..  but every one of them failed in one way or another.. 

When i was cleaning out my hobby room, i found all the plans again.. it started to tickle abit..

I'm thinking of doing a final build in wood, scale 1/75.  And if allowed when the time is right, doing a build log here on msw..

The picture below is the vessel i have all plans for..

Best regards,

Tom

1615272.jpg

Indeed it is.  The only build logs not welcomed are those which are from pirated kits copied from unethical manufacturers.   There is a list of those in our guidelines.

Chuck

Nice work on your original try.

These vessels are the workhorses of the oilrigs and in one form or another have remained almost unchanged for years. They have taken the form of fishing boats, anchor handling ships, cargo ships for the oil industry, and even navel tugs. Some even have hard chine hulls and that makes them even easier to model the hulls.

Welcome and goodluck on your second try.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

This thread had me looking at the modern scratch build logs, just to see how much steel was there. 

The targets and objectives for simulating iron and steel are sort of different from pre-1860 wood.  It is sort of off my usual path.

There are two ships that are not too different from the one in this thread, that dock not too far across the harbor from my deck.

They seem to spend most of their time either in the Bay, or in the Atlantic off the Virginia capes.  The difference is that they each have a huge crane.

They are not home now and what with a hurricane coming our way, I am thinking they will join the Navy in staying out at sea in a zone where the storm ain't.

I wonder if the two LSD here now, will soon beat feet.

In looking at this log: Pelikaan Dutch Beamtrawler 1999 by kees de mol - FINISHED - scale 1/75

I came up with a "would this work?"  armchair experiment proposition:

The hull was fiberglass over a wooden plug.  The complexity of hull had him lay the glass fiber as two halves.

My question: if the plug had been shaped as three longitudinal pieces, one sort of narrow encompassing either side of the keel and the other two: the bulk of the hull on either side.

The glass fiber laid on the whole hull.  When the epoxy had cured, the middle section be unsecured from the sections on either side, and pulled straight out.  Then the sides, where the complex reverse shapes were, could be pulled to the vacated middle - even rotated a bit - and pulled out,  leaving a complete glass fiber hull.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Well a smit Rotterdam is still a nice vessel, even though its long turned into paperclips.. still a beauty with nice lines..  "my vessel" is build in 2006 and i visited her in 2012. This visit resulted in a couple hundreds photo's and all drawings anyone could think of. 

I feel like a must to deliver a nice looking model to the Vroon Company😀. So i will do that👍

Welcome, Articce. Yes, any type of ship model is very welcome and we even have a place for non-ship models (it's in the "Shore Leave" section).

And there are also quite a few ship models made of card, so you're among friends.

A build log would be very welcome :D

Tom, :sign:,

As a matter of fact, I would love to see more of modern ships in here. Classic wood kits such as Victory and Constitution are still popular.

I have some modern ships I like to build. But those are going to be from plans and scratch.

Start a build log and I will follow along. 

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry