Getting into the hobby

I've been building plastic models on and off for many years, but in the last couple of months as I've been following Youtube channels of other model makers, I started watching wooden ship videos.

I live in NJ and own a small computer store here. Gamer. Chef. Pro wrestling. Music. Movies. Eclectic tastes.

(apologies if this is a little long, but I wanted to explain where I'm at with my present projects)

Although I never thought much about them in the past, it seems like something interesting and challenging to try. I especially like Occre's products and customer support. I contacted them and they recommended a starter set (the Polaris) so I pulled the trigger on it a month or so ago.

I also purchased a couple of additional kits from Ebay for a good price.

Oh, but it doesn't end there.

I was making progress on the Polaris, when I learned that the deck piece was cut wrong. The wood grain should have gone side-to-side, instead of longways... meaning I couldn't bend it properly onto the keel. Annoying, but that's how you learn. I contacted Occre and they're sending replacement pieces. (I had applied the deck boards already when I learned the piece was cut the wrong way) The upside is that Occre sends free replacement parts, but the downside is that it takes over three weeks to get them sent from Spain.

In the meantime, I decided to take a crack at an Artesania Latina Carmen II I got a good deal on from Ebay. While they make a nice product, their instructions are not very good (and have actual errors and mis-translations) and their photos are small and B & W which look like they were photocopied with a potato.

Carmen II

Still, I plunged forward and got as far as putting the planks on the sides... and holy crap, were my hands numb after a week of that. Using a little hand drill to make holes for the nails every 1 1/2 - 2 inches on 20+ planks on two sides... so yeah... about 300+ drill holes. But once I get past this tedious part of the build the rest will probably go pretty smooth. The problem is that I had NO IDEA how to wrap the planks around and mold them to the bow and stern. I tried my best but my work was sloppy and incomplete. I conferred with a friend who lives upstairs from my store - he's a master woodworker who builds medieval weapons and musical instruments for fun. He was familiar with Artesania's deficient instructions and was nice enough to offer to clean up my mess. Again, it becomes a waiting game as he has several projects he's working on, plus works from home for his job. I'm hoping he'll have the Carmen cleaned up and back to me this week.

Part of the reason I'm building these kits is so I don't spend my free time playing video games or eating. Because the last thing I need is either or both of those past times.

Knowing the weekend was coming up, I decided to try a THIRD kit rather than sit around and wasting time doing nothing. So making sure all my parts were carefully organized in their boxes so they didn't get mixed up, I cracked open another Occre kit - a smaller one called the Palamos.

Palamos

I made much more progress with this one. Mainly because the deck board was cut properly so the grain when in the right direction. I've gotten as far as building the keel, laying down the deck boards, drawing in the lines and nails, and successfully glued the deck board to the keel. I added support pieces to the keel this morning. The next step is to sand the keel, the bow and the stern. I'm not exactly sure what to do, but I will re-read the instructions and give it a try a little later. The glue should be dry by that point.

So that's where I'm at with regards to this new hobby. I'm looking forward to having some good discussions, learning new techniques and expanding my knowledge here. Thanks for reading along. Feel free to ask anything.

:sign:

Looks like you have a good start there.  Opening a build log in the kit section is a great way to meet new people, show off your work, ask questions etc.  

Welcome to Model Ship World.  I have heard good things about the OcCre kits, especially their instructions and their YouTube videos.  You have a good start in this hobby and your experience in building plastic models is a plus.  You are located in a hot bed of ship modeling activity with ship model clubs located in New Jersey and neighboring states.  The Ship Model Society of New Jersey is a large club and is currently meeting virtually using the Zoom app.  Here is a link to their web site: http://www.shipmodelsocietyofnewjersey.org/

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

1 hour ago, Ryland Craze said:

Welcome to Model Ship World.  I have heard good things about the OcCre kits, especially their instructions and their YouTube videos.  You have a good start in this hobby and your experience in building plastic models is a plus.  You are located in a hot bed of ship modeling activity with ship model clubs located in New Jersey and neighboring states.  The Ship Model Society of New Jersey is a large club and is currently meeting virtually using the Zoom app.  Here is a link to their web site: http://www.shipmodelsocietyofnewjersey.org/

Thank you - I will check them out.

Welcome!

One thing came to mind reading your post. You now have three models in production at a fairly similar stage. My suggestion would be to focus on one for (near) completion. Often the learning of a particular building phase comes much later in the build (even the best instructions sometimes get the order 'wrong'). That way you get the maximum benefit for the next build.

With you experience in plastic, you may be well aware but I thought I mention it.

Bounty - Billing Boats

Le Mirage - Corel

Sultan Arab Dhow - Artesania Latina

Royal Caroline - Panart (in progress)

Yacht Admiralty Amsterdam - Scratch build (design completed, sourcing materials)

I got the Polaris too. Shame about the false deck being incorrect. That is really annoying!

Make a build log for the Carmen II! :) I've been eyeing that one... but to be honest I think I got a ways to go before I'm able to attempt it. :( 

Definitely figure out plank bending. Luckily I started out trying to build Model Shipway's 18th Century Longboat where plank bending is crucial. I had to put that project on hold as the level of plank shaping is beyond me at present but I did learn enough to make planking the Polaris so much easier.   

User: Havelock

Build Logs -> Current: Taurus-MS-1:64  -> Completed: Polaris-OcCre-1:50

Stash:  18th Century Longboat-MS-1:48

32 minutes ago, PietFriet said:

Welcome!

One thing came to mind reading your post. You now have three models in production at a fairly similar stage. My suggestion would be to focus on one for (near) completion. Often the learning of a particular building phase comes much later in the build (even the best instructions sometimes get the order 'wrong'). That way you get the maximum benefit for the next build.

With you experience in plastic, you may be well aware but I thought I mention it.

Thanks - that's what I'm going to do. Since I've made the most progress on the Palamos I'm going to stick with that one.

I have to say I like your introduction.

It takes effort to turn away from gaming to do something completely different.
I am glad to hear you have a great neighbor that are willing to help you out, such help are very valuable.

So with that being said, :722972270:

Start build logs, they will help you and us when you are getting stuck. Because that happens to everyone.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

16 minutes ago, Havelock said:

I got the Polaris too. Shame about the false deck being incorrect. That is really annoying!

Make a build log for the Carmen II! :) I've been eyeing that one... but to be honest I think I got a ways to go before I'm able to attempt it. :( 

Definitely figure out plank bending. Luckily I started out trying to build Model Shipway's 18th Century Longboat where plank bending is crucial. I had to put that project on hold as the level of plank shaping is beyond me at present but I did learn enough to make planking the Polaris so much easier.   

Other than that minor mistake I like their company and their products very much. Depending on how this Palamos goes, I just might switch over to the Carmen if I feel overwhelmed, since the most tedious part is done.

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)