Proxxon saw advice

Hi all

I'd like to buy a small saw to help cutting wood.  Proxxon seems to be all that's available in the uk so I'd looked at This but the reviews seem a little mixed so then thought I'd go about getting the bigger version instead.  Can anyone offer any advice or warnings against this purchase?  Are there any better alternatives in the uk?  Budget is not really a problem, although space is a slight issue so I can't get anything too large.  I don't think I'm going to be interested in scratch building as I don't think I can be bothered with all the plans etc but never say never.

Current build:  AL HMS Bounty 1:48

I have something similar and never use it. 

Because of space limitation I thing you would be better off getting something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-37006-115-Bench-Circular/dp/B0017TO806 .

Living in the UK you may need the KS 230. One operates on 115volts and the other on 230volts.

But if you don't have space for a Byrnes or a Proxxon FET the KS 115 is a good choice.

I have a Proxxon FKS/E and a Proxxon KS 115 and I still use the KS 115 because it is so handy. The Proxxon FKS/E takes up more room.

RussR

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

Depends what you want to do with the saw. Chop off saws are good at, well ... chopping off. The Proxxon FET saw ...

81I6cjZ8dJL._AC_SX679_.jpg

https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/product/proxxon-fet-table-saw-240v-210576/

... is pretty good at most small tasks that suit a conventional saw-table.  I have one, it is consistent and once you get used to the fence and mitre seems well suited to a modellers typical needs. It also of course can chop off wood using the sliding mitre.

You will undoubtedly hear that the best saw on earth is a Byrnes saw: I am sure this is true. Sadly I do not have one so can only say that so far I have been satisfied with the Proxxon.

HTH

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

If you want to go the mini route, this is the same as the Proxxon at about half the price..

ABEST Improvement High Speed Mini Miter/Cut-Off Saw Mini Table Saw Mini Bench Saw with 2 Blades

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

1 hour ago, SweepHall said:

Proxxon FET saw

I bought one last month to try and save having to pay for pre-milled planks, have had decent success but would recommend also buying the 0.6mm blade as the one supplied makes more sawdust than plank☹

If buying in the UK, CHRONOS are pretty good, not the cheapest but supply ready for UK use, plus standard delivery in the price. 

Just my two pennies worth. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

5 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

I bought one last month to try and save having to pay for pre-milled planks, have had decent success but would recommend also buying the 0.6mm blade as the one supplied makes more sawdust than plank☹

If buying in the UK, CHRONOS are pretty good, not the cheapest but supply ready for UK use, plus standard delivery in the price. 

Just my two pennies worth. 

Yeah, found chronos the cheapest but with 5% off at hobbies, it works out about £10 cheaper getting it from them.  Unfortunately they don't have any in stock at the moment.

Current build:  AL HMS Bounty 1:48

Chronos have very good aftersales service.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

16 hours ago, SweepHall said:

Thanks all for your help.  I think I'm going to go with the Proxxon FET saw as it's not overly large and will work if I decide to do scratch building.  Now to make some space for the mill and scroll saw...

Just bought the FET because of scratch ambitions. The small 37006 has been a wonderful help for over 8 years- simple to use for 1 off or repeated use but it needed bladed changes after heavy use. PS/ just received and used micromark size gauges for ripping. Very worthwhile, accurate and huge time savings. 

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

16 hours ago, SweepHall said:

Yeah, found chronos the cheapest but with 5% off at hobbies, it works out about £10 cheaper getting it from them.  Unfortunately they don't have any in stock at the moment.

The comment I'm about to make is not germane to the subject at hand, but the comment above reminded me of an experience I had many years ago when I worked as a clerk in a small, local hardware store. A customer came in looking for some particular item - I don't recall what it was - a package of screws or something small - but we had it in stock. When he saw our price he complained that the big box store had it for about 1/3 less. I asked him why he didn't buy the item there and he replied that it was out of stock. To which I replied, "Oh, when we're out of stock on this item, we sell it for 1/3 less too."  That was the point at which I rang up the sale. 😄