Jump to content

Duchess of Kingston c.1780 by James H - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - FINISHED


Recommended Posts

The Duchess of Kingston was finished yesterday and today I spent some time doing the final photos for the instruction manual.

 

I also did some images for the box art and they take a lot longer as I'm image stacking around 40 to 70 individual focus pictures to create a single, fully-focussed image. 

 

This was a beautiful build and I completed her in a few days over 10 weeks. Not bad considering that I've been back at work for 6 weeks now, and when I built Flirt, that took a whole 10 weeks of lockdown to complete.

 

Hope you like her. Available either later today or tomorrow for pre-order at Vanguard Models.

 

focus4.jpg

DSC_5174.jpg

DSC_5175.jpg

DSC_5173.jpg

focus1.jpg

focus2.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • James H changed the title to Duchess of Kingston c.1780 by James H - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - FINISHED

Superb model James & Chris.

 

6 hours ago, KentM said:

I have placed my order.

Me too. I haven't told my wife yet, but she's buying me this for Christmas! 

 

15 hours ago, James H said:

I could've done it in 7 if still on lockdown.

Now you're just making the rest of us feel inadequate! :rolleyes:

 

Derek

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

 

Chris better start warming up his wood cutting laser.... He is going to be busy very soon!!

 

Yves

 

I think everything is already cut and ready to go. He's just now waiting on the printers to do the 13 plan sheets, 80+ page manual and the box art label. I reckon a week tomorrow and these will be done. 🤪

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

 

Chris better start warming up his wood cutting laser.... He is going to be busy very soon!!

 

Yves

All laser cutting was completed weeks ago, so am well ahead of the curve for this one. (It was a few weeks cutting, though, lots of parts in this one). As soon as the printed manuals, plans and box label arrive, the kits are ready to go out the door

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, glennard2523 said:

I have pre ordered this kit and you have done an awesome build.

 

Do you find it better to build and install the entire mast assembly before you start the shroud rigging?

Personally, I make up all masts and then add what blocks I can before stepping in place. I then usually sort out as much bowsprit rigging as I can (shrouds, spritsail yards etc.), and then on to shrouds and ratlines for the masts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2020 at 12:01 AM, glennard2523 said:

I have pre ordered this kit and you have done an awesome build.

 

Do you find it better to build and install the entire mast assembly before you start the shroud rigging?

 

I always build the complete mast and then install. Being able to handle it separately means I can eyeball and measure things to make sure all sections are in alignment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, James H said:

 

I always build the complete mast and then install. Being able to handle it separately means I can eyeball and measure things to make sure all sections are in alignment. 

Do you add any mast rigging such as the shrouds, less the deadeyes prior to installation, as it might be easier to size them under the crosstrees prior to installation. I am also interested to know how tight the shroud is sized to the mast as it is not clear from your build photos.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, glennard2523 said:

Do you add any mast rigging such as the shrouds, less the deadeyes prior to installation, as it might be easier to size them under the crosstrees prior to installation. I am also interested to know how tight the shroud is sized to the mast as it is not clear from your build photos.

I added the rig blocks to the masts as on the plans, and the deadeyes to the channels only. 

 

All shrouds were added after fitting the masts, and it was quite easy. There's nothing stopping you adding the seized lines to the masts before you fully assemble and add the cap blocks. You could just tie them back while you fit the masts. I didn't tie them hard around the mast. There was a little play to allow me to spin them round the mast and thread them through the correct side of the crosstrees/mast top. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...