Duchess of Kingston c.1780 by James H - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

7 hours ago, James H said:

the rest was secured by flowing a little Johnsons Klear (Future) around the edges of them. This stuff allows a lot of time to get the part positioned correctly before it starts to set. That stuff is every bit as solid as a superglue bond, with the added bonus that is you apply a little more later, or use Windex, you can remove it and reset it.

First of all, this is a wonderful build log, James, of an incredibly beautiful model. I also like that you are showing the the various paints you are using.

Am I correct in understanding that you are using the Future wax by itself for these parts and they form a bond as strong as CA? If so, that's amazing to hear. I wonder why we don't hear of it being used like this more often? It seems like it would be every bit as good as CA with the added advantage of having more time to make adjustments...

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

i love the thought that has gone into the location holes, even i would find that hard to get wrong, doing a great job on her @James H

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

58 minutes ago, BobG said:

First of all, this is a wonderful build log, James, of an incredibly beautiful model. I also like that you are showing the the various paints you are using.

Am I correct in understanding that you are using the Future wax by itself for these parts and they form a bond as strong as CA? If so, that's amazing to hear. I wonder why we don't hear of it being used like this more often? It seems like it would be every bit as good as CA with the added advantage of having more time to make adjustments...

Hi Bob,

Klear/Future is a pretty tough product when set and with the decor being flat, it sticks to the hull very strongly. It's every bit as good as CA for this sort of application. You'd need to get a knife blade and really push it to flick the part off. I use it a lot for my magazine work when I sometimes attach PE to plastic and resin parts before airbrushing. As a rule, I use it where there's no likelihood of the part being vulnerable, or I'll use CA gel instead. 

Great log James - I'm definitely going for this kit when Chris releases it.

On 9/9/2020 at 11:42 AM, James H said:

Johnsons Klear

Is this product marketed under a different name in the UK now - a google search suggests it's no longer available?

Thanks

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Amazing, amazing, amazing 😮 

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Member of Nautical Research Guild

Current Build : VAPORETTO MOTOBATTELLO VENEZIANO           Finished Build : AIRFIX 1930 BENTLEY

And Later On : PANART VICTORY BOW SECTION                           Finished Build : BILLING BOATS, ST ROCH

And Later On : EBBRO CITROEN DS21 

HOBBIES : Amateur Radio : Motorcycling : Model Making : Painting/Sketching : FlightSims : Photography : Slave to none!

James

The model looks terrific! The photos are wonderful to look at. I only wish I could come close to the quality of your work. 

Current Build

18th Century Armed Longboat-Model Shipways

Completed Build

Lady Eleanor-Vanguard Models

King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina

Future Build

Vanguard Models- Alert

Jeff Farber

16 minutes ago, Gord-Canada said:

Will you be taking preorders Chris?

Only once I have the plans and manual in printing. Everything else is done. I weighed the laser cut and photo etched parts pack today, well over 1.3kg. A lot of parts, but that doesn't mean complicated, it just means there are less (or no) parts for the modeller to fashion from scratch from a supplied lump or strip of wood. I think Jim's managed to get this far in just 5 weeks!

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

On 9/13/2020 at 9:06 PM, chris watton said:

..... I think Jim's managed to get this far in just 5 weeks!

Yes, but Jim uses spells and potions! There's simply no other explanation for his speed and staggeringly skillful abilities! AWESOME model and AWESOME builder.

magic-jim.jpg

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Member of Nautical Research Guild

Current Build : VAPORETTO MOTOBATTELLO VENEZIANO           Finished Build : AIRFIX 1930 BENTLEY

And Later On : PANART VICTORY BOW SECTION                           Finished Build : BILLING BOATS, ST ROCH

And Later On : EBBRO CITROEN DS21 

HOBBIES : Amateur Radio : Motorcycling : Model Making : Painting/Sketching : FlightSims : Photography : Slave to none!

9 hours ago, Bobbuild said:

Chris

I think initially you indicated that you were not going to do a Master Shipwright version. Is that still your thoughts?

Will you be having flags available for your models in the future?

Thanks and DK is beautiful!

No 'Master Shipwright' version with this kit. This is because the materials have been tested twice (two full hulls made and finished) with the supplied materials, and I know these work. I am not sure how the boxwood would bend when wet, plus the cost of a MS version would be too prohibitive, due to the sheer amount of boxwood required.

The only option for this kit will be the machined pear blocks and deadeyes.

I may be open to special enquiries for people with experience with boxwood, but would be very expensive. (This would be 9 boxwood sheets)

Regarding flags, I will at some point, but not yet.

logo.jpg

39 minutes ago, amateur said:

Anything definitive on the price of the kit?

Jan

(Provisional) Price is £342.50 and £30 for the optional pear blocks (standard blocks being included in the kit)

Won't know the exact end cost until I have the plans and manual quotes

logo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think this model is really amazing and quite beautiful.  The intricate detail is so well engineered and rendered.  It’s impressive to me how all of this detail is translated into parts cut from flat sheets.  I really love the embellishments on the gunwales, and the way Jim has set them all off with his careful painting.  So inspiring.

Bravo Chris and Vanguard Models!

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Currently building:  Brig Sloop HMS Flirt - Vanguard Models

Completed"Lady Isabella" Scottish Fishing Zulu - Vanguard Models

2 hours ago, James H said:

Spent all day adding shrouds. 

Always the most sweary day in my workshop.

I dont believe that at all😀

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 2 weeks later...

I reckon there's probably enough here to merit a quick update before this model is soon completed. Pretty sure I'm now in the last week of the build. I just spent Sunday plus Mon and Tue evenings doing the rats and they are now sealed before I do photos. 

Going back a little, the masts were the next things to be built, starting with the lower mast tops. Dead simple to build as you can see. Tapering the mast sections was a lot easier on my Proxxon lathe too. 

220a.jpg

224.jpg

226.jpg

228a.jpg

229a.jpg

229c.jpg

Before fitting the masts, I added the hawse cable and finally fitted the grating through which is runs. Then on with the masts!

232b.jpg

233a.jpg

Yards are also nice and simple, with no hexagonal centre section, so these went together quite quickly before being painted and fitted out. 

234b.jpg

Time to rig.

Bowsprit (here just needing the bowsprit stays adding.

235.jpg

One thing I really love doing are the shrouds (he says sarcastically). I like fitting those about as much as the catharpins and rats. 🤣

Here you can see the shrouds fitted, just waiting to be ratted. 

236.jpg

238.jpg

241.jpg

...and that really IS it now until she's complete. 

Le Coureur will soon be sharing my bench with HMS Victory once I've done the final Duchess photos. 

What a beautiful subject!  Nice job James!

I like seeing how there's all that extra support for the decking.  That's going to be a very sturdy model.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)