Duchess of Kingston c.1780 by James H - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

The Duchess of Kingston was finished yesterday and today I spent some time doing the final photos for the instruction manual.

I also did some images for the box art and they take a lot longer as I'm image stacking around 40 to 70 individual focus pictures to create a single, fully-focussed image. 

This was a beautiful build and I completed her in a few days over 10 weeks. Not bad considering that I've been back at work for 6 weeks now, and when I built Flirt, that took a whole 10 weeks of lockdown to complete.

Hope you like her. Available either later today or tomorrow for pre-order at Vanguard Models.

focus4.jpg

DSC_5174.jpg

DSC_5175.jpg

DSC_5173.jpg

focus1.jpg

focus2.jpg

10 weeks..........REALLY!!!!   superb model James..Holy cow!!!!!   my best is 4 1/2 months :blush:

congratz!!!   she's a beauty!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Wonderful build James and Chris - congratulations.

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

Ships' Boats - Vanguard 1:64 and Master Korabel 1:72

Alexander Arbuthnot,  Christiaan Brunings,  Pevenseall by World of Paperships

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nitikin

Rumpler "Taube" 1911 by HMV

Superb model James & Chris.

6 hours ago, KentM said:

I have placed my order.

Me too. I haven't told my wife yet, but she's buying me this for Christmas! 

15 hours ago, James H said:

I could've done it in 7 if still on lockdown.

Now you're just making the rest of us feel inadequate! :rolleyes:

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

7 hours ago, DelF said:

Me too. I haven't told my wife yet, but she's buying me this for Christmas! 

🤣🤣🤣

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

26 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

Chris better start warming up his wood cutting laser.... He is going to be busy very soon!!

Yves

All laser cutting was completed weeks ago, so am well ahead of the curve for this one. (It was a few weeks cutting, though, lots of parts in this one). As soon as the printed manuals, plans and box label arrive, the kits are ready to go out the door

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, glennard2523 said:

I have pre ordered this kit and you have done an awesome build.

Do you find it better to build and install the entire mast assembly before you start the shroud rigging?

Personally, I make up all masts and then add what blocks I can before stepping in place. I then usually sort out as much bowsprit rigging as I can (shrouds, spritsail yards etc.), and then on to shrouds and ratlines for the masts.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

On 11/3/2020 at 12:01 AM, glennard2523 said:

I have pre ordered this kit and you have done an awesome build.

Do you find it better to build and install the entire mast assembly before you start the shroud rigging?

I always build the complete mast and then install. Being able to handle it separately means I can eyeball and measure things to make sure all sections are in alignment. 

1 hour ago, James H said:

I always build the complete mast and then install. Being able to handle it separately means I can eyeball and measure things to make sure all sections are in alignment. 

Do you add any mast rigging such as the shrouds, less the deadeyes prior to installation, as it might be easier to size them under the crosstrees prior to installation. I am also interested to know how tight the shroud is sized to the mast as it is not clear from your build photos.

Glenn (UK)

52 minutes ago, glennard2523 said:

Do you add any mast rigging such as the shrouds, less the deadeyes prior to installation, as it might be easier to size them under the crosstrees prior to installation. I am also interested to know how tight the shroud is sized to the mast as it is not clear from your build photos.

I added the rig blocks to the masts as on the plans, and the deadeyes to the channels only. 

All shrouds were added after fitting the masts, and it was quite easy. There's nothing stopping you adding the seized lines to the masts before you fully assemble and add the cap blocks. You could just tie them back while you fit the masts. I didn't tie them hard around the mast. There was a little play to allow me to spin them round the mast and thread them through the correct side of the crosstrees/mast top. 

• 1 month later...

Congratulations!  Beautifully done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 years later...
  • The title was changed to Duchess of Kingston c.1780 by James H - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64