Jump to content

Swift 1805 by Swallowtail - Artesania Latina - 1:50 - first build


Recommended Posts

I posted this in the Member's intro section, but on suggestion there will start this log...

 

I bought the Swift kit a few years ago as a first ever timber ship kit, but put it down after constructing the frame and half-planking the deck, when I realised I wasn't happy with the planking I had started. This last week I picked it up again and decided that no-one else would ever realise that some of the planks didn't quite look perfect! So progress since then has been to finish the deck planking, fit the deck to the frame, and start planking... 

I ended up clamping the deck down pretty hard to get the curve to the bulkheads, but it looks really good so I'm pretty happy with it.

One thing I have noted is that I was not happy with the hull curve generated by bulkhead 6 (it really pinched in and didn't flow well at all) so I have packed it slightly - it can be seen in the last photo as the bulkhead with an extra pin in it near the keel. 

I've been reading a lot on planking techniques - and reading through @stripehunter's build log - some excellent advice all round.

 

I daresay this will go through stages of modelling energy, but I'll get there eventually :) 

IMG_20200803_200353.jpg

IMG_20200803_200407.jpg

IMG_20200803_200421.jpg

IMG_20200803_200442.jpg

IMG_20200804_193728.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well aren't holidays great... :) 

 

Did the other side this last week, much easier than the first - lessons learnt. Having ends to match and measurements to compare certainly sped things up! 

 

Planking is now done, and first sanding roughly complete. There are a couple of low spots to fill and then resand, then on to the next steps! 

 

 

20201228_215417.jpg

20201228_215428.jpg

20201228_215436.jpg

20201228_215446.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Steady progress... Bulwarks on, one now lined. I've planed it down to be 3 x planks tall, and it flows nicely. Interesting to see that the stern transom is narrower than the kit by about 8mm once the bulwarks are nicely fitted and flowing. I've gone with it, and she'll have a narrower transom. 

 

I've also packed the sternpost so it sits out a little, will have to see if that bites me later! 

20201229_161829.jpg

20201229_161847.jpg

20201229_161907.jpg

20201229_172108.jpg

20201229_172141.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...